Monday, February 2, 2015

A VERY LONG TIME BETWEEN DRINKS

I mean posts.
AVA-JANE CHRISTMAS DAY 2914

We are the grandparents of a two month old girl called Ava-Jane. We arrived at her home, ostensibly to help her Mum during the last couple of weeks of pregnancy but she beat us to it. We were able to hang around for 5 weeks as the new parents learned to live with a new-born. Mother and baby needed a little extra care at first as the mother had an emergency Caesarian Section. I'm so glad we were able to be there. It's not often possible for grandparents to participate in the moment by moment growth of their first grandchild.

Last year was extremely stress-filled. I know there was a lot going on but that doesn't go all the way to explaining my absence which ultimately meant my weight gain became semi-permanent. I remain about half-way through my weight loss program. I regained about 9kg or close to 20 lbs above my lowest weight from around September 2013

Nothing much has changed but I did learn a lot about sleep. I am not a good sleeper and often only get 3 hours good sleep. anything more than 6 hours is a really good night. That's not healthy so it's something I continue to focus on. Two things help. Not drinking coffee after mid-day, turning off computer before 8 pm and getting a respectable amount of exercise in. Al these things challenge me.

My food is generally consistent although I have not kept to my 'wheat free' status in spite of almost always experiencing some negatives in well-being when I do eat the stuff. I had a big wake up call a few weeks ago when I ate toast for breakfast and lunch. Later in the afternoon I developed severe stomach pain. The only time I've had anything worse was when I thoughtlessly took Nurofen, (Ibuprofen), to relieve a headache when I was fasting.

A few days ago I decided to make February 1st my Day of Resolution.

This is my 2nd day and so far so good. I even managed to shed 700 gm which is about 1.5 lbs so proving to myself I can still do this.

A frustrating complication has been computer problems. I am now using this very old Compaq to write on as my Toshiba keyboard does not work. It's a clumsy system as the best results come from writing here, saving and adding photos from my Toshiba. Editing is best done on the Compaq. I've been using the Toshiba for several years and it's been an exercise in patience, (read lots of bad words), getting my links and settings to work. I try to keep things simple but Google does not seem to allow that unless you give away all sense of privacy.

The one thing that I have changed is my relationship with Mum's house which is in a Family Trust and for sale. Last year a good sale fell through when the buyer discovered it had not had sign off from the building inspector when completed in 2000. We are still in the process of completing the required work to satisfy Council. Since I have all our retirement money tied up in this property we cannot move on to the next stage of our lives and I am stuck living in a village far from where I want to be.

Financial and relationship problems are difficult. I finally came to my senses and we are trying to live within our means ..... not easy when I often have a negative income after paying bills. We are living very simply. I have withdrawn myself from active interest in the beach house. I do only what is necessary and reply to related emails only to let people know I read them if they are important. I do not read emails from certain people after 5 pm as I discovered I was getting upset and worried about the content all night. I have also limited my contact with the people who cause me the most grief.

Life is too short to be upset by what other people think and do.

My health goals are fairly simple.

Good sleep pattern.
Regularly exercise
Eat well and lose weight.
Quilt at home and meet with the group regularly.
Smile
Laugh a lot once more.

5 comments:

  1. So good to see you online again, and as ever what you say makes perfect sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new baby! I'll add her and your house/finances/weight situations to my prayers on a regular basis. God is able. :)


    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, big congratulations on the baby!! Can you attach another keyboard to the Toshiba? I mean manually via a usb or whatever? How much is it to fix the keyboard on it? I think the contact you have via blogging etc is important and it would be great if you could no be held back by your computer problems.

    Don't worry about the weight - just try to eat as well as you can. It does not cost a lot to eat good food, you know what to do. I'm sad that your money is tied up elsewhere, it just seems so unfair but I agree that you need to make the very best of what you have. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby... gorgeous OF COURSE!
    Weight... you can do it again chick.
    FAMILY ISSUES.... I love the idea of switching off, not reading emails etc. I NEED to do that too.

    Hang in there, I feel like 2015 is going to be much better for both of us.

    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I just found where you had been posting (I had been following the other blog). Congratulations on a gorgeous granddaughter! How wonderful you got to be there, and spend time with Ava-Jane and her parents.
    Swap out "painting" for "quilting", and it sounds like you wrote my own health goals.
    I hope 2015 will be a better year for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete