Thursday, August 1, 2013

KETOGENIC DIETS SIMPLIFIED

TODAY I AM ORDERING MY SEED FOR NEXT SEASON
CANNOT WAIT TO HAVE BEAUTIFUL HOME GROWN AGAIN

Hi Folk. I forgot to post this yesterday.

 If anyone reading my blog is curious about what a ketogenic diet is and how the term nutritional or dietary ketosis developed there is a good article by Laura Dobson from About Low Carb. Here is the link to the article which explains a ketogenic diet and it's benefits better than I can

Here is Laura Dobson's outline of Atkins Induction. There are many things here that I do not entirely agree with so I'm doing the stage two phase of cycling fat fasting with a normal ketogenic diet my way. I think I have worked out what is best for me and of course there will be adjustments from time to time. Atkins allows more oils eg. to quote "For stir-frying, canola, peanut, and grapeseed oil are recommended, especially if "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed".


I just don't use any of those oils preferring butter or coconut oil. Maybe I will try a little of my saved pork fat to try out too. There are a few other things that I would ignore such as the limit on cream and avocados. At this stage I am working out my menus on a calorie and nutrient ratio application while I settle into what is best for me now.

Otherwise I found this article uncomplicates the Atkins program. 


There is no point trying to do something you do not understand and does not suit your body and lifestyle. I am beginning to find my feet and can see how what I am doing will work for me in the short term and make it easier to transition to maintenace when that time comes. Because I am determined to remain open and flexible there is no guarantee I will continue with cycling 5 days fat fast with 2 days increased calories, protein and carbs.

The best thing of all is feeling wonderful. I have no intention of doing anything which will compromise how well I feel. Today my plan is to continue the 7 day cycling for August or the next 5 weeks and see how that goes. 


FRAIL MID-WINTER ROSE

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the "What is a Ketogenic Diet" by Laura Dolson. I hadn't read that before, and it was a terrific summary. Next time I try to explain it to someone, I'll instead give them the link. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, I was worried that you'd turn into a low fat eater after that news yesterday!! Just kidding... It will be good to see how you get on with this. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so confusing for people who don't bother to get into serious nutrition.

    To begin the mainstream Nation News with the story was horrifying. I should blog about it because our comments must sound cryptic.

    Briefly they described some recent so-called research reinforcing the concept that saturated fat causes heart disease and then showed clips of people with big bellies, wheat bellies no doubt, and blamed them on sat fats. I got so cross I could barely watch the item.

    Glad this helped some and st other's minds at rest. *smiles*

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete