Wednesday, August 14, 2013

BEING CONSISTENT IS A PRIME KEY



I wrote this about a week ago. It still makes sense but right now I'm now I'm not i a very good place. I have to begin again. I'll tell you why after you've read this.

This week I began to think about my general nutrition and how it relates to the name of this Blog..... Improving My Health.

I decided to listen to Jimmy Moore's Ask The Experts podcast with Dr. Steve Phinney. who co-authored The Art And Science Of Low Carb I came away a little concerned about my macro nutrient ratio. I think I need to give better focus on healthy proteins and maybe let the fats look after themselves for a while. That doesn't mean I want to change from LCHF, or Nutritional Ketosis, just that I suspect I am in danger of not getting enough protein. I'm not sure how I will do this but I will complete this week of Fat Fasting for 5 days followed by 2 days higher calories and higher protein This is where I will begin to make the change so maybe I will not continue this cycling for the whole month. At least not quite the way I am doing it. I want to stay consistent and I know that my body likes it best when I follow a similar routine day after day. For instance, people who fast from say 8 pm Thursday to 8 am Saturday for several weeks do not feel so good when they break that pattern.

Deb Willbefree, one of my friends and a really special support person left a message about getting adequate protein months ago.  Well Deb, I think I am beginning to get a handle on how much protein I should be eating. *smiles* Anyway I will be working all this out over the next few days because I want to settle into a consistent pattern because that was one of the things Dr. Phinney mentioned several times and then this morning I saw that one of my favourite nutritionists, Dietitian Cassie, who co-hosts a podcast with Jimmy Moore, was talking with Evan Brand on this podcast. Again there is the message about being consistent. There is a lot more in this podcast and I recommend it.




The last week is a bit of a blurr. I was learning to ride a bicycle after 15 years. First I discovered my balance is exceedingly poor. Friends loaned me their ladies bike and I tried to get off the way I did when I was a kid but.... my legs are many years older, fatter and stiffer and I sort of jumped and twisted. Ouch!!! I knew immediately I had wrenched my back but hoped it would heal without too much bother. A couple of days later I was even able to do a little weeding in my flower garden .... such a sad sight at this time of year.

The truth .... I wasn't sleeping, I had back pain and then we had a very big day on Saturday when we drove to Morrinsville, approximately 3 hours away, to share in my uncle's 95th birthday celebration. I enjoyed the day and catching up with cousins but it was a long day and I was glad to get home. Another difficult night followed. The pain was not steady. Every now and then I would think it was abating and I would be fine by simply taking good care of myself. On Monday I changed my mind and made an appointment to see the chiropractor. He did some manipulation yesterday and I nearly screamed. But after some rest and sleep I knew the pain had changed. Instead of something that was destroying my mind and my ability to think clearly it reduced to a dull ache. Sadly after 6 hours in bed  last night I could barely move again this morning so I am back in the recliner.The pain has once more subsided to a dull ache. I thought I could handle a bit of pain but this affected me more than I realised at the time and caused a lot of nausea too.

At last I'm beginning to think about things I need to do and to eat properly. I think I have even lost some of the weight gain caused by inflammation.

We were supposed to go to Otama this afternoon but there was no way I could prepare and pack so the cats are alone tonight and we will be there sometime tomorrow. Our friends have left for California and a visit with their family.

This heading is kind of ironic. If being consistent is the key then I need to put this last week in perspective and see it as a minor blip on the screen. But it will only be a minor blip if I get nyself back on track ASAP.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you are having such pain with your back. And add to that the lack of quality sleep... well, I know how hard that can make things. I hope you improve quickly!
    Hugs,
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your back, bikes are nasty things lol..... Hope you start feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! So sorry to hear about the back pain. That's just miserable.

    So glad to hear about the plans to increase protein! :D

    Deb

    ReplyDelete