Thursday, July 4, 2013

WET THURSDAY


There isn't much to write about. It's winter. It rained again but the sun came through for a while this afternoon and our temperatures have warmed up to 19' C or 63' F. I decided it was time I got back into riding the cross-trainer. I've got a set of Jenny Craig exercise books. It's time I looked through them and began a strength and flexibility programme.

We bought a cordless lamp so I can see to knit at night while John watches TV. I think it's going to work. My eyes are terrible. Apparently I have the beginning of a cataract. That is a major frustration. The other eye still doesn't blink, (Blame Bells Palsy), and can get very sore because it is easily hurt by something as simple as my towel brushing carelessly over my face. I'm still waiting to hear from the hospital with an appointment for the surgery to put a gold implant in the upper lid. I feel quite desperate at times. There are moments when the pain is such I'd like to break down and cry. Such a baby am I.

A few months ago we bought an electrical gadget to slice and grate veggies. It's a Tefal Fresh Express Slicer and Grater. Our initial trial did not work. I was disappointed and this thing has sat on the pantry shelf taking up space and annoying John. Today it came into it's own.

I wanted to break up a fresh coconut.

Step 1.  Get out an eggbeater drill and make two holes to drain the milk. There was none so missed out there.

Step 2.  Bash it with a hammer several times to break the shell into manageable pieces.

Step 3.  Separate the white flesh from the hard shell. Tricky job and I did have one slip with the knife and was lucky to only get a tiny nick. I need a chain mail glove like the ones they use for opening oysters.

Step 4.  Let the Man get out the grater and set it up. Took some grumbling and mumbling but then a Eureka moment and he had it worked out.

Step 5.  John washed the pieces and the slicer did a great job with no more pain. In a few minutes we had a bowl of thinly sliced fresh coconut.

I had a few sticks of celery on the bench washed and ready to slice and stirfry in butter to go with our steak for dinner. John put it through the slicer gadget and followed it with an onion. Super quick.

I guess we'll use this gadget more often now. I know John wants to try potato rosti. I wanted it to grate beetroot and carrot etc for salads. The only thing is that with just two of us the quantity is usually so small it hardly seems worth getting out another appliance.

Tomorrow morning I will make some Fat Bread. It's so simple to make but unfortunately it is expensive so not something I will make every week. I took my recipe from Richard Nickoly's Blog, Free The Animal,

Last time , the only other time, I made Fat Bread I put the macadamia nuts in a liquidiser followed by a cup or more of coconut which I had grated and frozen some time ago. I just dropped in the eggs, lemon juice, salt and baking soda and baked. Voila, a very nice loaf that John was happy to slice for a sandwich or toast. Tomorrow we are meeting my sister at Mum's house for lunch. She is a vegetarian so thought this would be a treat for us all.

The ingredients:-
  • 5 eggs (medium to large size)
  • 1 cup raw whole macadamia nuts (made into butter per the instructions)
  • 1 cup coconut butter (nuke 20 seconds to get a smooth butter)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 rounded teaspoon baking soda
Still thinking about what else is for lunch but maybe a few savoury eggs and some celery stuffed with cream cheese. 


5 comments:

  1. Ouch, a whole cup of macadamias? Expensive. Good luck I hope it turns out well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Tefal Fresh Express Slicer and Grater, I use it all the time, especially with CRPS. Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not a baby. Eye problems are devastating. Your situation is made worse by the frustration of knowing that there is a procedure that will offer some relief--and you have to wait for someone to tellyou when they'll do it.

    I'd call the hospital *or whoever you should call) and ask where you are in line! squeaky wheel and all of that...

    I've developed a cataract, too. On my "good eye". I'll be having an appointment this month to discuss surgery. Scary.


    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh MargieAnne, you are far from being a baby. You are facing things with such fortitude and grace. You are my role model and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am just popping in to say Hi :)

    ReplyDelete