Monday, July 1, 2013

IT'S NOT FAIR! I AM SHOUTING FROM THE ROOFTOPS.... IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!


THE SECOND HALF OF 2013 BEGINS



NOT BAD BUT LOOKS AS THOUGH I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT


New Low Weight ......but not where I had hoped to be so will be working on this for a while to come.


I weighed in at 81 kg or 178.2 pounds. Theoretically I should weigh around 58 kg or 128 pounds. I doubt if that's realistic so I'm aiming to reach 65 kg which is 143 pounds. Time will tell.

I have lost 6.5 or 14 pounds this year. In total since I went wheat free at New Year 2012 I have lost 33 kg which is 72.5 pounds. I don't consider that earth shattering loss over a period of 18 months until I remember I am now 75 years old and very few people my age lose weight to improve their health. All too often weight loss in my age group is a sign of ill-health.

What does excite me is that it's been easy to keep off. There has been no yo-yo dieting although for the last 12 months my body has been somewhat resistant to losing weight. This is the reason I chose to work on being in nutritional ketosis. It's not been an easy option because we have been away from home so much. I reckon there have been at least 4 casual nights, plus the week in Christchurch before going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and again another two weeks in Christchurch. It's not over yet. The challenges of being away will continue through the year with maybe a few more hospital visits for us both and four weeks in Christchurch in the spring, followed by a another possible visit in December.

Are there any benefits in losing weight at 75? I do wonder sometimes. But... there are benefits that are hard to describe. One is the satisfaction of finally discovering what works for me and doing it. There is no doubt in my mind that I feel better when eating very few carbohydrates. When I get too casual about my choices I begin to feel depressed and don't want to bother real quick. When I'm in ketosis I'm nicer to be around, better at decision making and carrying through and more likely to get stuff done. I look better. It's interesting that I'm knitting. I think I gave up knitting because my fingers hurt. Certainly that's one reason for my lovely butterfly quilt remaining folded and unfinished in it's bag for so long.

SO WHY AM YELLING IT'S NOT FAIR?


This morning I weighed in at a smidgeon under 81 kg, as I did yesterday. John hopped on the scales after me and weighs 77 kg. That makes me spit. He just eats whatever he is given or feels like including Cadbury chocolate bars. The only thing he is strong about is avoiding wheat. He has oatmeal porridge with sugar or sometimes fake maple syrup nearly every morning for breakfast and eats rice crackers for lunch and as snacks. In the 15 months or so he has been wheat free he has lost something like 12 kg doing nothing very special. When we married he weighed less than 70 kg and I was around 60 kg. I know this isn't a competition between us But I'd really love to restore that balance. I should feed him up on wheat in secret.  Nah! That's not going to happen. *smiles*

It's a gorgeous winter day. I love these mid winter blue skies. They have a special quality of simple purity. We did a little more gardening and caught up with laundry.
DO YOU SEE A SET SQUARE?
JOHN WAS MAKING SURE I COULD NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT HIS ROWS OF SEED AND GARLIC
CRACKED ME UP.
TO BE HONEST!
I DO LAUGH ABOUT HIS LACK OF MAKING STRAIGHT LINES BY EYE ALONE.
i SUPPOSE AS ONE WHO HAS ALWAYS USED TOOLS
HE DID NOT NEED TO DEVELOP AN EYE!




11 comments:

  1. The girls look very happy. :D

    I'm considering the fat fast to get me back on track. I'm wondering, tho--did you have bathroom troubles during that 3 days? I just need to plan ahead if I need to stay close to home. :}

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had few problems but then I tend to be constipated. I also have no gallbladder. Had a cholecystectomy when I was 20. Now I wonder how much wheat played in the inflammation that caused a large single solid stone to form. Somewhere I picked up that you do not get the full benefit of nutrition from fats without a gall bladder but coconut oil is best. Don't know how true that is but I must say I think a few things, especially my skin, benefit from coconut.

      Personally it is a lot easier to plan a 3 day Fat Fast and stay home just so I don't get side-tracked from my planned food. I would advise anyone serious about this to get Dana Carpender's book. The Kindle edition is $6.00 http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Fast-Cookbook-Recipes-ebook/dp/B00BGGBE20

      Blessings

      Delete
    2. Haha. What's funny is that the reason I asked about the bathroom is that I had my gallbladder out when I was 20 years old. :} Since then, I can have a problem with fat that requires me to stay near the bathroom. (In fact, colitis like symptoms are a very common consequences of GB surgery.)

      Isn't it crazy how much wheat is involved in? Who knew!

      Delete
  2. You are looking FAB in that photo!! I don't remember seeing you in pants before and that red top is lovely. Maybe you'll feel happier when you crack into the 70s :) That won't be too far away and as for John, how good is it that he gave up wheat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly makes life simpler with John being on a similar eating plan.

      I cannot wait to get the next 2 kg off. That will be a good milestone.

      Blessings

      Delete
  3. I used to tat and to do crochet with fine thread, but had to quit because it was too painful on my hands. That is wonderful to read you are knitting again, and enjoying it!

    I liked what you said, about there being benefits that are hard to describe. Sometimes they sneak up on us. :-D
    For instance, I was in the pool a couple of days ago, wondering when I was going to see some improvement... when I suddenly realized that my stretch position for getting my legs to straighten out so I could walk, was MUCH more outstretched than when I began 3 weeks earlier. I just didn't notice the teensy improvement along the way. I'm sure if you made another list (I remember you listing things before) you would have a huge list! Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those lists certainly encourage you to stay as close to plan as possible. Who wants to regress>

      You must be chuffed to see the change. I think we are designed to want to do better day by day, week by week, year by year etc.

      I know when I had ME, (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis), I had to look back at least 6 months to see improvements. That was a period of learning patience if ever there was.

      I agree. It would be good to write a list of benefits achieved every so often. Thanks for the reminder

      Blessings

      Delete
  4. Love the photo of you :), and had to laugh about the set square lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right - it IS NOT FAIR! Men do lose weight so much easier. My hubby and I really need to buckle down and work on that process. Looking at your picture, thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look bloody fantastic! Who cares if the losses this year have been slower?
    You are doing so well... and who needs the earth to shatter anyway... lol.
    So what if John is lighter than you... it's a man thing when they can eat more and still lose weight.
    Your garden is looking wonderful... well done to John on getting the rows straight.

    That's one thing Stew wouldn't bother doing, for sure! IN fact, I don't even have a vege garden anymore!

    Keep up the positive and don't be negative about yourself... YOU ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margie Anne I am so glad you popped by my blog :) I am so happy to pop over here and see you looking so fantastic!! Regardless of what the scale is telling you on this very day, you are looking really healthy! WOW!! I hope all is well over your side of Tasman!! mwah xx

    ReplyDelete