Friday, July 26, 2013

I'M STILL WATCHING CLOUDS


I have just watched another Ted Talk. Now it might seem that I spend all day watching videos, listening to podcasts, reading Blogs etc. but when you come across a gem such as this it's worth it.
ARAN PATTERNS ARE MY FAVOURITES

I am getting along fine with the knitting and expect to finish the first sleeve of John's cardigan today. I never thought I would be close to completing the cardigan before the end of July but it's beginning to look doable. Jane bought John a smart cardigan so it doesn't matter that this one will not look as good as I'd hoped. I really must stop moaning about buying the wrong yarn. It got me back into something I enjoy so much. Knitting jerseys for my family. Listening to podcasts has been a brilliant way to occupy my mind while knitting.

This Ted Talk made me think about all the time we waste being anxious about how we look and what we weigh. I don't mean we should accept our weight if it's something we need to change for good health and better lifestyle. I am thinking about how our own attitude makes a difference to how we deal with the things that happen to us. There are so many disappointments as we travel through life and coming to terms is never easy. We ask questions, mostly useless ones. We feel like failures. Another useless occupation. We get depressed. We battle guilt. Every negative thought we have is a waste of time and energy unless it leads us onto asking the right questions and acting on them.

As I've been listening to podcasts, mostly around the Paleo/Primal lifestyle and touching on autoimmune diseases I am learning that many of the things our family went through when our children were little may have been reversible. If only the knowledge I now have had been available when it was most needed. Our eldest son had something that now looks like a messed up metabolic system. Our three sons are dyslexic, Two of them would have been on Ritalin if it had been available. Our eldest son was on something briefly and I loved the change it made in him. He was so biddable and so willing it was like having a different person in the house. It also scared the heck out of me because it was completely unnatural. Back in those days there was no internet to check out the drug and I have no idea what it was but it seemed all wrong for a child to be taking a mind altering drug no matter how much easier it made my life. so I took him off it and we went back to our normal family life.

I had some weird health issues when pregnant and breast feeding. Unfortunately the only answers I found back then, in the 60s and 70s, were to get on with life as best you can and don't moan about it. I touched briefly on nutritional things but never went deep enough to discover what was really going on. I love that there are places on the internet where ordinary people who do not have the skills to research deeply into things can find answers and what is more important support from knowledgeable people. And I can quickly look up a tricky word for the proper spelling too.

I could go on and on but this couple have a story that is full of new hope and courage. They picked themselves up of the ground and began to treat their son as a real person in spite of his disability and their disappointment. What joy there is in this family because they took a positive attitude. It makes me think and the comments are interesting too.

Do watch it and ponder on what the real message is and what it means to you personally. It's not a long video and well worth the few minutes it takes to watch.
A RAINBOW ..... NEVER A COINCIDENCE

 And God said, 
“This is the sign of the covenant I am making 
between me and you and every living creature with you, 
a covenant for all generations to come: 
I have set my rainbow in the clouds, 
and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 
Whenever I bring clouds over the earth 
and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 
I will remember my covenant between me and you 
and all living creatures of every kind. 
Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, 
I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant 
between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”
So God said to Noah, 
“This is the sign of the covenant I have established 
between me and all life on the earth.”
Genesis 9:12-17.

1 comment:

  1. Just because you are using a different yarn does NOT mean the jumper you are knitting is not as good as the one Jane bought John!
    Silly woman, I am sure it will be just lovely.

    ReplyDelete