Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A BEAUTIFUL DAY AND LIFE IS FULL OF CHALLENGES


Plenty going on. More than I want to think or write about.
WE ARE HARVESTING OUR OWN LEMONS...  I THINK THAT'S A FIRST FOR US

We went to a photo workshop that was meant to be mostly outside. Oh dear! It rained cats and dogs... sorry no snaps of that. It was another wet Thursday. John and I were the only attendees and had personal help with setting up our cameras and using a tripod.
DROPS OF DYE MAKE FUN PATTERNS IN ICE COLD WATER,
BUT NEED A DECENT  WHITE BACK SHEET...
SOMETHING TO WATCH OUT FOR THE CAMERA OFTEN CATCHES THINGS YOU DON'T WANT

The guy was interesting and we spent nearly 5 hours in his studio. Looking back I'm not sure what I really learned that will enhance my confidence and ability to take decent photos. But we had an enjoyable day. Murphy's Law played a great trick on us. The sun came through when we were half way home so we drove for over an hour with direct sun in our eyes. The next day would have been perfect for our trip.
FUN COMPOSITION WITH THE COOLEST PIECE OF DRIFTWOOD

Today is Tuesday. Last Friday we moved into Mum's house, AKA the family Beach House, which we are selling. Jane who lives here, is on holiday so we are enjoying the wonderful views and amazingly we have brilliant winter weather. Chilly with a south easterly but beautiful.

We took advantage of a TreatMe opportunity and booked to go on a TranzAlpine Rail Tour which includes a night in a Greymouth hotel and a half day activity. We have chosen to cycle the Rail Trail with a guide. It should be fun and we have 8 weeks to get cycle fit. I have been coveting my own bicycle for a year or two or more, but since we are half a step from being totally broke I will have to wait a little longer. I'm hoping to borrow a bike from a friend then John and I can go riding together, otherwise we will have to share the one bike, a man's tourer. John bought this high quality bike at a bargain price from a back-packer who was returning to England and did not want to ship it back home way back in 2001. From that time on I have hankered after my own steed so we can ride around together as John prefers riding to walking. I've seen exactly what I want in the local bike shop but $500 puts it out of reach right now. It would make a great reward for 100 pounds gone forever. Thirty pounds to go.

My weight is not moving much these days. 30 pounds/13 kg would put me around 69 kg/152 lbs and that would be a super place to end this year but at present it isn't looking promising. I bought new scales from Warehouse last week. They are neat and I presume accurate. The best thing is I can read them and they are consistent. Last time I bought digital scales I eventually threw them out because they changed with the position on the floor, how I held my face/posture. I could get variations of up to 3kg or nearly 7 pounds. That made them incredibly frustrating to use. I cannot be certain until we get home again but I think I gained 2 kg just by changing scales. I'm not worried because it's only numbers and now I can read the smaller changes which will be encouraging. Before I had to guess anywhere between the kg markers and the needle often threw reflections or shadows which my dodgy eyes had trouble seeing. At this stage of the game even 100 grams less will encourage me.

JOHN PLAYED WITH DOLLS!!!!!

I've been knitting away and have John's cardigan the back and one front finished. I'm still very cross with myself for buying acrylic yarn as I think it is going to stretch into a shapeless mess very quickly. Still it's got me back into one of my favourite hobbies, knitting. With a floor lamp beside me I can knit and watch TV at night. But I have less time to read and write. It's always hard to stretch enough hours in a day to do everything.

I received a letter that upset me. Not bad news as such but distressing news from our son and some of the strife his partner is trying to cope with on her own while he is in prison. I wish I could do more to help her. Being so far away can be frustrating yet at the same time it is also healthy to let the distance be a buffer between us at this time. I feel some of her pain and distress of her situation even if mch of it is self-inflicted. It takes me days to work through my own distress. It serves no purpose to fall in a hole over something I cannot change. Two or three weeks ago the creek flooded and went into a shed. It has never been that high before. Last week a cow was in distress and the Vet was there 6 hours with a return visit to help her calve. She wasn't supposed to have been with a bull but these things happen. Now they have a bill they cannot pay. I had to be firm and suggest they sell something. I really, really wish I could bail them out but it would not be in their best interest long-term and anyway we are not in a good position ourselves right now.
BARE FEET IN MID WINTER

At home we got a little more done in our garden and John did some trimming. I still have plenty of weeding to do so hope the weather stays nice till the end of the month. I need to get my seed order in for tomatoes etc so I can have plants big enough to set outside before we go south. We Fly down on Sept 21st and will be away 5 weeks. Here at Mum's place we need to get out and do some tidying up while the weather is good too. Our boundary is looking a lot messy.
LATE AFTERNOON SHADOWS

We are also looking at house/cat-sitting for our friends at Otama for 3 weeks from mid-August. I really don't know why we have a house. This year we will be in it for less than 8 months total. Still it is somewhere to call home and put all our STUFF. Personally if I had my way we would sell it and live here but it's a mute point which house would sell first. If the two houses sold at the same time we would then be in a rush to find somewhere to call home again and I don't want that. Our next move will be the final one so we need consider it carefully. Mum moved from the farm to this beach property when she was 85. That is too old. No matter how good your health, once you are in your mid eighties most people are running out of energy to make a new life for themselves.
WE WILL BE LOOKING AFTER PUMPKIN
AND ENJOYING THE VIEW

This is a truly rambling post. My head is all over the place.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear things are a bit all over the place, can so relate to bare-feet in the winter lol. Nice to see blog again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and with views like that, it can only bring happy thoughts :)

      Delete
  2. I had to smile when I saw that photo of lemons; just this morning I saw on Facebook a low carb recipe for Lemon Curd! http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2013/05/poundcake-with-lemon-curd-and-hormones.html

    Sounds like your life as usual... busy!
    I was thinking about what you said about not bailing out your son and partner... I'm glad that's what you decided. I can sense your compassion for them, and I know they would prefer to keep getting money from you... but I'm glad you decided to let them learn how to be responsible for themselves. Maybe someday they will thank you when they realize it... or not, ha ha. Either way, you made the harder but better choice by saying no. May God help them grow and learn, and even someday come to a place of appreciation! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness... you're doing a rail trail? How long is it? Wow. Actually it would be something I'd like to try but I'd need to get very bike fit - not something I'd be prepared to do in Auckland traffic!

    I love having a lemon tree at the beach house, now to just get one here in my new garden as well!

    ReplyDelete