Friday, June 28, 2013

STAY SAFE AROUND DOGS



OOPS! NOT THIS KIND
ALTHOUGH THEY CAN BE DANGEROUS TOO UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES


I saw this on About Walking and immediately thought of Lynda




One of the scariest encounters you can have on a walk is being charged by an aggressive dog. How can

 you avoid dog attack and keep from getting bitten or mauled by a dog while walking or jogging?

Here's How:

  1. Keep a safe distance between yourself and dogs being walked on leashes.
  2. Ask owner's permission before approaching a dog, on leash or in yard.
  3. Never approach a barking, snarling, sleeping, eating, or nursing dog.
  4. Do not stare the dog in the eyes.
  5. Turn sideways and slowly withdraw.
  6. Put an object such as a tree, post, or bench between you and the dog.
  7. Speak softly and gently to calm the dog, "Good dog, it's OK, go home."
  8. Stand still or maintain a constant slow pace out of the dog's territory.
  9. If local law allows, use pepper spray when charged by the dog.
  10. If charged, get something between you and the dog's mouth - umbrella, pack, jacket, stick
  11. If attacked, curl up in a ball and protect your face, neck, and head.

Tips:

  1. You can't outrun the dog, not even an Olympic sprinter could.
  2. Be aware of dogs a block or more ahead, change your route or turn around to avoid unleashed dogs.
  3. Know the weapons laws in the community you are walking in and obey them.




WHAT I AM DOING


This is my third day on a "Fat Fast" á la Dana Carpender

It sounds gross and weird and rigorous but in fact is quite simple and it works. In April I did a modified version for 10 days and lost 3 kg It is a great way to shift things around if weight loss has been stalled for a period. This was followed by various activities including a weekend away and then two weeks in Christchurch. Our first week away went well but then the strain of being away from home began to make me careless. Add to this multiple birthday celebrations, all for me, and I was pushing the boundaries of sane eating. By the time we got home I needed time to settle and compose myself again. I didn't realise how tired and unsettled I had become. 

Not too surprising really when you think that we managed 4 prison visits with our eldest son while in Christchurch and went out almost every day. We came home last Thursday and had a birthday lunch with our daughter, Jane and Greg, our Rotorua son, on Saturday. On Monday our car was taken into town by tow truck. Something went wrong a few days before we left for Christchurch, and it wouldn't start. The garage gave John a courtesy car and today he returned it and picked up our car. Fixed but we are nearly $700 poorer.

Finally on Tuesday, three days after our last meal out, I began to get my sane head on. 

I'm drinking more coffee than is probably good for me but all before 10.30 am. We have a new Sunbeam coffee maker. I'm drinking my coffee with coconut oil and coconut milk. It sounds gross but I'm finding I quite enjoy it. I'm not very hungry so a small bowl of plain Greek Yoghurt with about 2 teaspoons of lemon flavoured cod liver oil mixed in, does the trick for lunch. Again a meal that would have made me gag to think about a few months ago. I look forward to it now.

This time I have followed Dana's recommendation of 1000 calories. I eat around 12 gm of carbohydrates, less than 40 gm protein and around 90 gm fat. I don't think I have a fat phobia but this pushes my comfort zone a lot mentally. I will continue to eat this way for one more day. By then I might have read more of the New Atkins Book. I am definitely keen to stay in nutritional ketosis but that does mean I have to be more careful about indulging myself. I enjoy going to a Café for cappuccino. Sometimes I want sugar. I always look with longing at the cakes. That's fine if it really is a rare treat but even once a week is too often.

I'm also knitting. I enjoy knitting but I haven't made anything for years. John decided he wanted a cardigan and we looked everywhere but he didn't see anything he really liked. I kept telling him it would be better if I made it until finally he caved in and we bought the pattern and yarn. I am furious with myself because I bought acrylic and nylon when I fully intended buying wool. We simply ran out of time to search for exactly what I wanted and with John looking over my shoulder all the time and complaining about the cost I grabbed a cheap option without checking it properly. It's soft and easy to knit so is OK. Maybe I will knit another after this but with good wool.


PLAN TO GO TO THE LOCAL FARMER'S MARKET AT KUAOTUNA TOMORROW
THERE WON'T BE THE VARIETY WE FOUND AT RICCARTON, CHRISTCHURCH

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes yes the dog. I'll do another post about it. It seems I did everything right anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must admit in Rotorua there are many loose dogs around, hence another reason to move out of this hole lol... anyway back to the dogs, they freak me out especially when I am walking Chico...

    ReplyDelete