Thursday, June 27, 2013

DO YOU KNOW DIABETES KILLS 8 X MORE THAN MELANOMA?

DREAMING OF TOPICAL DAYS

It's a grey old wintery day with wind and showers Temperature around 10'C//50' F or maybe less.

I have just finished listening to today's Ted Talk by Dr. Peter Attia who founded the Eating Academy and here is the link to his website and blog. There is a wealth of great material here. I'm sure you will enjoy it if you are interested in being in the best health you can possibly be in. I am filled with hope  by this medical doctor who is humble enough to say he was wrong and now puts all his energy into toward improving the health of his nation. Here is the link to the talk.

My comment to John is one of puzzlement. Why are we so afraid of melanoma that we cover ourselves with sunscreen and special clothing yet do not have the same horror of developing type 2 diabetes. What is wrong with a health tradition that has grown around protecting our children from the sun which we need to bask in occasionally for good health and sanity, yet insist on nutritional advice that does little to prevent diabetes? Is it because it is generally an easy matter to use drugs to control type 2 diabetes and more difficult to find a drug treatment and cure melanoma.?

I watched a very dear friend lose her health and life to diabetes. It's a horrible disease. We should all fear it. Fear can be a good thing if it makes us change our habits. My brother, who was dearly loved and as close to me as any twin could be, died from a melanoma. He was only 34 years old with a young family. I know the pain and tragedy of that yet I should be many times more afraid of diabetes than I am of getting melanoma.

I don't believe I'm at risk of either disease but it makes me think. Am I taking care of myself in the best possible way.

I so hope you will listen to this Ted Talk and then consider looking through his Blog

I know ... doubled up on the links but I want you to look at them. *lots of smiles*



5 comments:

  1. Well said. The same goes for breast cancer I think. There is so much info and screening for that but little for diabetes. Is it perhaps because people (and doctors) seriously think diabetes can't be helped? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I must add - you mentioned the number of people dying from diabetes but what about the ones who die from the complications such as heart disease or kidney disease and it is not put down as due to diabetes? I bet there are many more deaths attributed to diabetes that go unrecorded as such.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you back, that last photo looks like a place I would love to be right now :)....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not quite sure how to respond to this post.

    First, it's good to be educated on proper nutrition and the consequences of eating poorly. Those negative consequences appear in many forms. Like heart disease, fatty liver, over burdened and worn out joints, and more.

    As far as diabetes goes, tho, some careful research wil show that overeating and overweight does NOT casue diabetes. Nope. It doesn't. If it did--now get this--if excessive consumption of carbs caused diabetes ten everyone who is more than 40 pounds overweight would have diabetes.

    I know a lot of overweight people. Follow overweight bloggers. And most do not have diabetes. I have a couple friends who weight over 300 pounds. (Hmm. More than a couple as I think of it.) and None of them have diabetes.

    How's that work do you suppose? You know, if overeating causes diabetes...

    Here's the deal. One has to be genetically predisposed to develop diabetes. Then, and only then, will poor eating allow diabetes to manifest.

    I wish I had known that I was predisposed when I was 30. I didn't. We weren't educated than. Interestingly, my grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes before I was, but she was 80 years old. we were told it was age-related. Her pancreas was just wearing out, we were told. My father wasn't diagnosed until after I was.

    Now, I can look back and say that my grandmother, my father, and me--all with diabetes. But 20 years ago, I didn't know.

    So the info you offer is good. Perhaps it would have helped me to delay my own diagnosis. Neither my father nor my grandmother were significantly overweight, you see--and they developed DM. MY dad was 70 and, as I said, my grandmother 80. Me? 38 years old. An early dx r/t obesity, for sure.

    I just don't want to further the myth that fat people bring the disease on themselves. It's just not so. There's enough blame and fear to go around as it is.

    Hugs, Margieanne. It really is good info.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diabetes is a manifestation of metabolic disease and I totally agree being fat is not the cause but it can be a warning. Mean while let's not forget all the skinny people with diabetes. The friend I mentioned was never overweight in her whole life.

      I think Jimmy Moore's favourite quote from the talk says it well.

      Here’s my favorite pull quote from the talk that will forever stay with me:
      “If obesity is nothing more than a proxy for metabolic illness, what good does it do us to punish those with the proxy?” — Dr. Peter Attia at TEDMED 2013

      Blessings

      Delete