Friday, May 24, 2013

THE VICIOUS CYCLE

THIS DOOR HAS BEEN A BLANK CANVAS FOR MONTHS

Hi all. I'm still feeling lazy about writing but here's a must see video if you still have doubts about LCHF or Low Carbohydrate and High Fat eating.



I'm right in the middle of getting my body back into nutritional ketosis. I'm learning that every time I diverge, as I did on our recent 3-4 days away from home, it takes 4 or 5 days to get those blood ketones back to where I want them. That should tell me I need to be a lot more thoughtful about what I eat when away. We all know how hard it is to stay within our personal guidelines when out of normal routines. I enjoy Café and restaurant meals too. Thinking about next month when we have two weeks staying with our son and his wife I need to get my head fully around the challenges I will face while there. I don't want to freak them out with the high fat component of my diet right now.  As the saying goes, 'the proof is in the pudding.' I want to have results that are worth boasting about before I shock them.

For years I called my weight/fat/health/food situation a vicious cycle. In the above video those are the words Tom Naughton uses. I could say I regret all the wasted years but it's all been a process of learning and development. I realise now that I also had a fat phobia. I have denied this in the past but recent months have revealed just how ingrained the fear of fatty foods has been. This was possibly because I had gall stones, or to be more accurate, my gallbladder had become one large calcified mass, before my 20th birthday. These days I wonder how much my high starch, moderate fat diet contributed to this.

Watch out too for the comment on fat burning contributing to raised body temperature. In the past I have been reasonably successful eating what is termed a low carb diet with moderate protein and low fats. Once I began to lose a significant amount of weight I would feel chilled from the inside out. It made me miserable on cold days as I tried to warm up. In fact some days only a soak in a hot bath worked. This time I have lost more weight than ever before and yet I feel warm, sometime uncomfortably so. I even wondered if I was experiencing the occasional hot flush ... at 74 yrs. That seemed rather odd.

More recently I have decided it is because I have more fat in my diet than I have ever dared to eat previously. I still feel cold on a chilly day but I am more likely to be in tune with where John is. That is a remarkable change in how my body is functioning and suggests to me my hormones are likely to be in better balance than forever. It still seems weird to add coconut oil to my coffee since I have always preferred black except for the occasional Café style cappuccino. I work hard to get my fat content around 70%. The only fruit I eat regularly are the few berries I put in my smoothie. I am eating fewer and fewer non-leafy veggies. I am doing the very thing I vowed I would never do. I count calories. This is made easy by using an online diet tracker. There  seem to be a few around but the only one I am comfortable with is The Perfect Diet Tracker which cost a few dollars to download but all updates are free. I cannot recommend it to others, just saying it works for me.

THE EXTRAORDINARY IS BECOMING NORMAL - FAT COFFEE WITH COCONUT OIL



2 comments:

  1. OK silly question maybe why add coconut oil to coffee :). Hope you have a lovely weekend, it is a beautiful day here today, I am ahead on my last assignment, and am just going to relax over the next couple of days and hopefully enjoy a little sun maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Margie, have I told you how much I love your blog? It is so reassuring to know that someone mu own age is dealing with the same issues! (I am 69 next birthday.)

    ReplyDelete