|A GLIMMER OF LIGHT|
I am frequently in nutritional ketosis but I am not yet keto adapted or a true fat burning machine.
It has taken many steps to come to this conclusion.
1. Way back when I did Lean For Life I learned the value of being in ketosis for weight loss. Lean For Life was a Low Carb, moderate protein and low fat programme and it worked. I would test my urine every morning with ketostix and look for the pink. I lost a good amount of weight and felt so much better generally, but I did not stay with the programme and after several successful attempts and each time reverting to my old ways I became reluctant to do this again.
2. By this time I was learning more about the successes of people who followed the Paleo lifestyle and discovered for myself the benefits of eliminating wheat.
3. I learned that fat is not our enemy and cholesterol is not as damaging as traditional medicine says it is.
4. I read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis.
5. I became hooked on Jimmy Moore's podcasts and began to hear about nutritional ketosis. Atkins has been a popular diet for decades but I still had an aversion to his programme. I'm sure I read his book a long time ago and decided it was too complicated. I was not going to waste time and money reading it now when Jimmy Moore was offering so much information and entertaining me.
5. Jimmy began his n=1 self experiment and it worked wonderfully.
7. I felt sluggish and my weight loss from going wheat free had slowed to almost zero.
8. I decided to get into nutritional ketosis. Easy peasy.... I was getting good readings with three days.
9. It takes a certain degree of discipline and determination to continue in ketosis day after day. It's not easy if you enjoy travel and restaurants and, and, and...... Most of all I missed piling up the vegetables including carrots.
10. I did a 10 day Modified Fat Fast. It worked and I began to wonder if this should be my forever pattern as long as I need to lose weight but..... I based my version on 1150 calories which is possibly a little low for long term.
11. For the last 10 days I have been all over the place. This is partly because I had sweet desserts three days in a row. I have also noticed slightly higher blood pressure readings on the days my blood ketones are very low and a disinclination to do any exercise or be active and my weight loss has stopped. In fact I've gone up by 1 kg.
Conclusion. I need to get over my aversion to Dr. Atkins and read the New Atkins for a New You book.
I need to stay in ketosis deliberately for at least 8 weeks before I eat the occasional sweet dessert.
I am devising a new plan that I can sustain for 8 weeks including the two weeks we will be in Christchurch. I am going to base it on 20 gm carbs and around 1300 cals a day. That allows me more protein. My ratio of macro nutrients will look like this.
6% from carbohydrate
25% from protein
69% from fats
I will keep to this for the next 10 days and re-assess if I need to. I can see that my veggies will be based around more silverbeet, spinach, cauliflower, lettuce, celery and cucumber,
Time to put this into practice.
NB READ THE BOOK
THE NEW ATKINS FOR A NEW YOU BY Westman, Volek and Phinney