Monday, April 29, 2013

KUAOTUNA BUSH TO BEACH WALK/RUN 7/11 AND 22 KM

There is a new post at Hawaii 2013 with more to come....

OTAMA BEACH
On Saturday we went to Otama Beach to support our daughter, Jane, in this year's Bush to Beach Half Marathon. This event has grown considerable and I guess there were about 1000 participants in spite of it being an off-road event with some very steep patches which would be muddy and very slippery. The weather wasn't perfect. It had rained through the night and during the day we had a mix of sunny blue sky and heavy showers.
GETTING READY TO START

Jane has been training for this for some time and expected to complete the 11 km in 2.5 to 3 hours. For her it was not a race but an accomplishment. There were obviously many serious sports people there for the 22 km and at least one experienced proper walker, (Olympic Style). There were a lot of families and I was amazed by the athletic and endurance ability of many of the children, If you want more detail you can have a look at the Kuaotuna Search and Rescue page for the Bush to Beach event.
The course is really tough. The first 3 km go straight up and there were all kinds of terrain to deal with

It was a most enjoyable day and we stood there clapping away as participants came in. The were probably four times the number of participants tospectators so I felt a "duty" toward those who did the hard yards to cheer them on at the finish line.
WAITING IN THE STARTERS PEN

We got wet too but it wasn't too cold and we did have light jackets and umbrellas. I found it hard standing for nearly 3 hours. I often get dizzy if I cannot sit and rest for a while. I did get desperate enough to sit on wet grass for a little while. We were determined to be there when our daughter came up the track. It was such a proud moment. I am so thrilled for her. She was part of a small group who exercise together on the beach, unless the weather is too rough, then they go to a hall. Jane is now in her mid-forties and we all know how hard it is to get out and do things when we have been overweight for years.
A LOVELY DAY OUT FOR FAMILIES (IN BETWEEN THE RAIN)
ONE OF THE FIRST TO RETURN AFTER RUNNING 7 KM
HERE THEY COME!


Sunday I did my own marathon. I was in a good state of nutritional ketosis. I have missed a couple of days on the cross-trainer so that my re-set goal for the month was not looking so good. My original intention was to do the same 25 minutes I've been doing all week than add about 15 minutes in later in the day. I stooged along, feeling quite good, doing maths in my head until I began to think today would be a good day to go for 60 minutes on the cross-trainer. All I can hope is that I haven't blown myself up and I will continue with my planned routine over the coming week. In that 60 minutes I achieved 13.5 km, A half marathon is 11.5 km. Before you think I am an athlete in training to run the next marathon let me tell you two things. The cross-trainer enables me to cover a much greater distance than I would on the ground. I am not carrying my full weight on my feet because I use the handles and they also help me to not worry about my balance and the risk of stumbling. The cross-trainer is a bit of a work-out but I have mine on low resistance and I can get a nice steady swing going between my feet and arms. I seem to be well co-ordinated that way while John struggles with this aspect so he rarely uses the beast.

I am impressed with myself but not as proud as I am of our daughter who walked an off-road half marathon, up and down steep, slippery hills, through mud, along tracks and no tracks, beach, stream and hard paved road. 

I felt quite emotional when I saw her coming up the track and was very close to tears of joy as Jane finished.

CROSSING THE FINISH LINE

5 comments:

  1. Well done Jane!! I should point out though that a half marathon is 22 kms (as shown on the map) and a quarter marathon is 11 km. A full marathon is approx 42 kms. I think what Jane achieved is amazing because I've walked tracks like she would have on this course and it is nothing like walking on flat ground!! Then she had the rain to contend with...and mud.

    You are going great guns on the trainer too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS! there goes me and my arithmetical handicap again. I kept looking at the title and wondered what I was missing. 1/4 marathon is enough thank-you. I'd love to do this next year but I'm sure I'll find an excuse not to. How about going on the Low Carb Cruise with Jimmy Moore and friends. *laughing*

    And now I can't even type a simple comment without a dozen typos.

    Blessings all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, we so want to do the low carb cruise!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Congrats to Jane!

    You know, I look at your beautiful island and the water that surrounds and still can't figure out why you wanted to go to Hawaii. Was it what you had hoped?

    Deb

    ReplyDelete