Sunday, February 24, 2013

SUNDAY AT HOME

Instead of placing my photo here go and have a look at Lynda's post. We are so privileged live in such a beautiful place. It's all too easy to take for granted the beauty around us. I will definitely have to go for a walk up that hill now my eye is healing.

13 MONTHS MAINLY WHEAT FREE AND CONTINUING

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS MORE THAN 28 kg/62 lbs


Welcome to all readers. 

I am 73 years old and working at being in nutritional ketosis รก la Jimmy Moore of Livin La Vida fame.

It's never too late to change your life for better.


I spent some time today preparing our travel Blog. There's a tab which links to our Hawaii trip at the top of this post. I've set it up as a stand alone Blog without any links to my other places just in case any family and other friends are interested. They do not need to read my struggles and anxieties etc.

Today we received an urgent email from the host at the coffee plantation we had booked with. They made the booking personally with us but their booking agent has over-ridden our booking. They will reimburse us and we will look for something else. We are quite disappointed but hopefully it's for the best. The Coffee Plantation stay is our third week on Big Island so we may not even book until we can look around when we are there. In the meantime we'll have fun looking for somewhere else.

We had a big fat eggplant ready in our garden and I have never cooked one. I keep asking myself why I decided to grow the plants. A few days ago I saw a recipe for eggplant lasagne that Tom Naughton raved about. Chareva's Eggplant Lasagne I couldn't make mine exactly the same since I was missing some of Chareva's ingredients but it was still darn tasty.

My version .... I baked slices of eggplant as instructed and cooked the minced beef with a little garlic and diced onion. I did not have the right cheeses so when I made the sauce I put 3 small eggs, a large spoon of thick Greek yoghurt, a 120gm round of camembert and about 50 gm soft blue cheese in a bowl with Tuscan seasoning and mixed to a smooth consistency with the stick whizzy thing. I added in a bit of grated cheddar. Then I made my tomato sauce from all those tomatoes we are taking from the birds. I just chopped up a few with fresh basil and marjoram, garlic and spring onions, (scallions). I added a spoonfull of tomato paste and seasoning and simmered until it looked right.

I ate a slice of freshly baked eggplant straight from the oven. Oh My! I loved the creamy texture under the crispy edges along with the olive oil. I never could have imagined I would one day go crazy for eggplant baked with olive oil. It was so incredibly delicious I can't wait for the next one to be ready to harvest. I wish I had eaten it all like that as once in the lasagne it was lost to the other ingredients.

After all that I ended up with a dish deep enough for two complete layers of eggplant, minced beef, eggy cheese sauce, tomato sauce with more grated cheddar to top it off.

I have never been a fan of pasta so this is only the second lasagne type dish I have ever made. It was a bit of messing about but didn't take too long. The worst part was all the dishes I used but John, bless his heart, cleaned up and he usually does the dishes too.

That was my day. A new Blog, a new vegetable and a new recipe.

You can see how I'm doing by clicking here or use the Tracker/Records tab at the top of the post.


4 comments:

  1. We went to that Colenso Cafe and had the vege frittata - very nice.

    I love lasagne and need to get back into making it again - I put thinly sliced kumara in layers. I have tried the eggplant and will do that again sometime. I need to get trying more new recipes.

    I'm glad you eye is healing well.

    That hill behind our place is incredibly steep - perhaps a better place to walk from would be around Rings beach, the entrance at the western side. There is a wide track that is all metalled and would be a much easier walk. You could drive to the carpark (by the stream that runs through) and walk from there. The track goes up to the Vodafone tower and you get a great view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree about the baked eggplant. I made some last month, just cubed, tossed with olive oil and a bit of sea salt and roasted. Oh it was heavenly, just plain like that! I took a cup of it, put it in a casserole dish, topped with a half cup of canned Italian style tomatoes and some light grated mozzarella cheese and baked it, and it was one of the most delicious things I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey MargieAnne... if you want to keep THIS blog private, I'd recommend you quickly edit your "About Me" blurb, the one that goes out on ALL blogs you own, that go out under that username/identity. :-O

    I visited your Hawaii page, and it does have the URL that leads back to this page, in your About Me paragraph. Just thought you'd want to know, in case you missed that. I totally understand wanting to keep this private from family members. :-)

    ReplyDelete