Sunday, February 10, 2013

SIMPLY LIVING

ONE DAY RECENTLY WE STOPPED AT KUAOTUNA FOR ICECREAM IN A CONE.
THE LICKING WAS GOOD BUT THE VIEW IS BETTER

13 MONTHS MAINLY WHEAT FREE AND CONTINUING

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS MORE THAN 28 kg/62 lbs


Welcome to all readers. 

I am 73 years old and working at being in nutritional ketosis รก la Jimmy Moore of Livin La Vida fame.

It's never too late to change your life for better.



I've heard that when things are not working as expected maybe it's because you need to change what you are doing. For quite a while now I've been endeavouring to eat a certain ratio of macro-nutrients to achieve nutritional ketosis or show levels of more than 0.5 blood ketones. I set myself up with an online calorie  calculator that also gave me percentages and/or grams of macronutrients. The macronutrients are Fat, Protein and carbohydrates. I chose a ratio that looked something like this.


MY TARGET RATIO TO MAINTAIN NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS


1250 Calories 
104.2 gm fat (75%) = 934cal.
62.5 gm protein (20%) = 250 cal.
17 gm carbohydrates (5%) = 67 cal.




It meant weighing and considering everything I eat. That's not my normal style and can lead to aggravating stress levels. I knew it was a temporary measure while I worked out typical servings of various regular items in my diet should look like. Guess what? I did get fed-up and I am still the same weight as at the beginning of the year, give or take a few pounds. Excellent maintenance. But I think I've got a handle on what a typical days food should look like.

Recently I hit a snag. A week ago, (It feels like two so maybe I need to go back to the end of January to see what was going on), we celebrated my daughter's birthday followed by a fairly stress filled week. I have been unable to get my blood ketone level where it needs to be. This frustrates me because I believe the science which says do this and expect certain results to follow.

In the interest of mental health, my peace of mind, I'm only weighing or measuring when something looks very different from what I might usually eat. I'm still aiming to keep my macronutrients in a certain balance but I'm over trying to get the ratios in perfect with calories as I seem to think they should. Instead I'm eating more or less intuitively. I do need to take care doing this because I have a tendency to add in extra foods and they are usually high in carbohydrate. I don't have blood glucose issues so it's easy to think I can get away with eating icecream, red wine and rice crackers but it's clear that these things are contributing to stalling my weight loss. If you go to my tracker you will see that I have taken down the chart for daily macronutients and calories. That should stop me from trying to be Perfect!!!!

At the same time I have succumbed to the stresses of living. That's not good and has all kinds of repercussions.

I cannot change the circumstances that bring stress into our lives. Stress is a part of life on this planet and the more you interact with other people the more you expose yourself to stress. It's also true that living in a vacuum is stressful so it's how you handle that stress that's so important.

Stress busters include regular quiet times. Ideally these are for meditation and/or prayer or just a walk around the garden.
Deep breathing for a few minutes.
Pausing to 'smell the roses'
Walking outside, getting into the open air and enjoying natural surroundings. I have these in abundance so have no excuses.
Getting some exercise but not necessarily strenuous stuff.
Smiling and laughing.
Enjoying good company.
Hugging and receiving hugs.
Going to bed before midnight.
Cutting back on coffee.
Doing something creative.

I'm sure I can add to this.

I'm looking at this list and thinking ..... Why on earth am I so serious about everything?

Why do I have an over rated sense of responsibility? (eldest child syndrome perhaps).

It's time to lighten up and enjoy.

The trouble is that while I might appear laid back and that is certainly how I perceive myself, it's a lie.

I am as up-tight as any person I know. Every muscle in my body is tense from dawn till dark. I often wake up in tense knots. This paralyses me. It's exhausting. It's a vicious circle.

I bet you are there long before me.

I need to find ways to break this tension.

Being the brainy person I am I keep looking for answers when the answer is so simple.

Just live a little more each day.

Even thinking about it adds stress. I think I'm weird.

Enough messing with my brain.

Right now I commit to a walk on the beach this evening when the air is cooler and hopefully the wind has dropped.

I'll let you know how it goes.

LATER  No walk. But I am at peace again. My decision to simply eat just as I would have in the past without weighing and trying to balance all the nutrients paid off.



You can see how I'm doing by clicking here or use the Tracker/Records tab at the top of the post.


3 comments:

  1. Stress is worse than anything, hope you can start relaxing now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on this, MargieAnne. I've been much that same way. Right now I'm reading a good book written by a Cardiologist who also is a Christian. He has a good style, and I've enjoyed reading it on my Kindle. The name of the book is "The Ultimate Prescription: What the Medical Profession Isn't Telling You" by James L. Marcum. You can find it on Amazon if you have any interest. I downloaded a free sample, read that, then decided I wanted to read the whole thing. Glad I did. L

    Looking forward to seeing your photos of your trip to Hawaii, soon. Take care. Relax. Breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't over-think what you eat. Keep it clean and you will be fine. About the ice-cream etc, it does not matter if you don't have blood sugar problems - the fact that these foods send out insulin will stall your losses. You may not be diabetic but you will be insulin resistant, being overweight is the main symptom of this.

    Relax and enjoy life :)

    ReplyDelete