Thursday, February 14, 2013

DO I HAVE POTASSIUM DEPLETION?

THE RED ROOFED FAMILY BEACH HOUSE ABOUT 55 YEARS AGO

13 MONTHS MAINLY WHEAT FREE AND CONTINUING

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS MORE THAN 28 kg/62 lbs


Welcome to all readers. 

I am 73 years old and working at being in nutritional ketosis á la Jimmy Moore of Livin La Vida fame.

It's never too late to change your life for better.



I am starting the day feeling really unwell. This is something which is growing increasingly worse. I feel much the same as when my blood tests came back with low potassium levels. A simple way to prove whether or not that is what is wrong is to begin taking slow release potassium capsules again. I've been reluctant to consider this as a possible cause because I haven't taken a diuretic since last September but the symptoms of fatigue, buzzing in my ears and heart thumping are too similar to ignore any longer. It's the fatigue that gets me most of all. It makes me so lethargic and is totally unhelpful toward my goal of being walking fit for our holiday. These symptoms have been gradually developing ever since I stopped taking the supplement. My diet should be good enough and I do seem to be taking a bucket load of supplements these days. I have been reluctant to consider the possibility of potassium depletion until the last couple of weeks. I am eating well and apart from annoying things which often stress me out I should be as full of bounce as I have been other times when I eat the way I currently do.

Mild Hypokalemia

The signs and symptoms experienced due to moderately low levels of potassium, generally between 2.5 and 3.5mEq/L are as follows:-

Fatigue.
Muscle pain, (myalgia)
Cramps
Nausea
Constipation
Dizziness
Depression
Mood swings
Slow reflexes

6 out of 9 symptoms seems significant to me.

Another website makes this comment. I have highlighted the significant, to me, phrase.

Potassium, along with calcium and sodium, is an electrolyte (mineral salt) important to the human nervous system, muscle function, fluid balance and heart, kidney and adrenal functions.

Perhaps there is a case to add a supplement as I've checked what I am taking and potassium is well down the list.

I should get a blood test first. Last time I tested at something like 3 and I stopped takig the supplement when I reached 3.6. Maybe I should have continued.

I wrote this last November.http://withgodnothingisimpossible-tracker.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/is-it-mind-over-matter.html


I feel so much better this morning. I can't decide whether it's in my head or whether it really is physical. I took the first potassium tablet at teatime last night and another this morning with breakfast. Suddenly small tasks that I didn't want to know about were done without even thinking of them as a chore. I've a long way to go to feel as though my house is in order again but if this continues I will be able to do it. All kinds of things have been neglected as just being too much trouble and not worth the effort. 

If that's true I should know fairly quickly if potassium capsules help. I will try to get a blood test done before I take the first dose.

Another thing that is bothering me is my blood pressure. One of my best readings was last September and I'd be happy if it stayed in the same region as then 3rd September 2012, 125/75

Nurse Lynn has been checking my blood pressure and while the d reading is fine the other one has been higher than normal. Could this too be related to diet/nutrition?

Diastolic levels, (bottom number) are good at around 70-80 so no indication there that something needs to change. But for no apparent reason the systolic reading, (top number) has been high with a reading of more than 50 two weeks ago and over 40 this week.  These numbers do not indicate a need to change my medication but they are of some concern especially since it's my goal to come of all medication. I can't find the piece of paper I took notes on so will wait until next Tuesday to get correct numbers. copies.

I understand my readings are in the healthy range but I want better and I believe that with weight loss and increased activity I should be seeing better results. The only thing now is that I don't have enough energy to increase my daily activity. here's to hoping it's something as simple as  mild  potassium depletion.

On reflection I have made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow.



You can see how I'm doing by clicking here or use the Tracker/Records tab at the top of the post.


6 comments:

  1. So glad you're going to the MD! Potassium supplements ought not to be experimented with since both high and low K are dangerous.

    I'll be watching for your update.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, this is one for the Doc.
    I had 8 of those 9 symptoms! Yet my blood tests were "great". He put me (NOT suggesting this for you, just giving an example, kay?) on 4 ounces twice daily quinine, from tonic water. In ONE DAY the symptoms lessened. And in a week, 99% of the extremely painful and debilitating muscle cramping was gone. I didn't want the HFCS in regular tonic water (!) so had to settle for "diet", which has chemicals. Now I'm turning mad scientist, and have sent for my own "bark" to just brew a tea (which will be very bitter) that I can sweeten with stevia and cut with sparkling water. My Doc said it was too bad they no longer offer the quinine pills... would be lots easier. :-}

    All that to say... sometimes it isn't what we thought it was, and I'm happy you are having it officially tested. Hope you get a fast answer and relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally catching up on blogs, have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you're going to the doctor! Those symptoms are worrisome. Hope it is a quick fix (supplement) and nothing more concerning. Keeping you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are OK - no update for a few days is not like you. Just checking in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope all is well with you Chick.
    I can remember when Simpson's Beach looked like that. Our family has called Whitianga and Simpson's our beach home for 43 years!

    ReplyDelete