Saturday, January 26, 2013

SATURDAY


OUR SKY HAS BEEN SMOKEY FOR A WEEK OR MORE
SMOKE FROM AUSTRALIAN BUSHFIRES DRIFTED OUR WAY
WE HAVE OUR OWN BUSHFIRES TOO
NOT AS EXTENSIVE AND NOW CONTROLLED
BUT PEOPLE WERE EVACUATED TEMPORARILY

12 MONTHS MAINLY WHEAT FREE AND CONTINUING

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 26.5 kg/58.5 lbs


Welcome to all readers. 

I am 73 years old and working at being in nutritional ketosis รก la Jimmy Moore of Livin La Vida fame.

It's never too late to change your life for better.



THOUGHTS .......

From the coach


We only have two choices: Predator or Prey. No matter what happens to us, how unfair 

things are,  or who's hating on us, we either sit and wait to be devoured, or we attack 

fearlessly.

What do you think of this statement? It's a little like the difference between being a victim and being an overcomer, between being crippled by obesity or free to live the life you want. Of course there are people who are obese or fat who do live life to the hilt. I did found it a great handicap. The mental strength required to live and enjoy life when fat remains huge for me. I work hard to keep a good attitude and not allow being fat to spoil my life. I learned to accept myself as I am but it's not always  easy. Now I know how to change things that's exactly what I'm doing.


Ketones rose by another 0.1 to 0.5. I would very much like to have an average fasting ketone level of 1.5 and it's not something that is happening suddenly. This testing is totally unnecessary but I think it's kind of fun to see what it takes to get my body into the sweet spot for weight loss.

Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek have some guidelines about nutritional ketosis in their book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, which was written for sports people. This is the book that inspired Jimmy Moore, (Livin' la Vida), to begin his n=1 experiment. It seems to be the exact information that some of us who are struggling to keep up the weight loss momentum need. I skim read it after buying the kindle version last September. Today I am reading it again, more carefully. It might take several times to understand but I have the basics and it's fairly easy to follow but some of the science has my eyes glazing over.

I've just read an amazing observation. Athletes who are totally ketone adapted can burn 2 gm fat per minute. That's 120 gms per hour and 1.2 kg/2.6 lbs in 10 hours of sustained exercise. Maybe that doesn't sound so spectacular to anyone who has run a marathon. I need to read some more.

I think it's hilarious that I am trying out a diet designed for sports people and athletes.

Just for fun I tested again 2 hours after lunch. Ketones = 1.1 and glucose = 4.2. I'm not sure whether my glucose is generally that low. I do know there has never been any questions about diabetes. My tests have always been on the good side. Sooner or later I will do a test when I've eaten a cake or something high in starch and sugars. It will be interesting to see if my Blood glucose spikes as so many people's does. My guess is that optimum weight loss for me is fasting ketones close to !.5 and evening tests, when I've finished eating for the day, showing ketones around 2.5. Anyway I'm happy with what I'm doing right now. It's adding a little interest to a pattern that had become mundane. One of the keys to continued weight loss is staying enthused. It's really hard to be excited when the scales stay the same week after week.

For those of you who are wondering why I am so determined to continue losing weight I can only say I am surprised by my own persistence. I really don't think this is all about me. I think that God is in this and when I feel despondent or bored it doesn't last. Before I know it I am being lifted up and ready to get going again. I am very excited to get into solid nutritional ketosis where the fat burning is a regular thing. I know how much more energy I will have. I have been delighted today to find I am already reaping a reward. I'm only on the verge of being 'ketone adapted' and  I can feel the change from a few days ago. Today I did some laundry without having to spend hours telling myself to get it done. This afternoon I spent an hour and a half in the garden. That's something I've been wanting to do for weeks but just never seemed to have the energy. When I am in the zone, that sweet place where my body is burning fat and showing ketones, the chronic fatigue seems to vanish. I like that.

You can see how I'm doing by clicking here or use the Tracker/Records tab at the top of the post.




4 comments:

  1. My blood sugar is NEVER that low - the lowest is around 5.5. Can you even imagine what it would be if I went back to my normal way of life? Not going to do that anytime soon. It is great though that your blood sugar is so low, no worries about diabetes there like for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still finding your experiment interesting.

    One thing I'm fuzzy on, though...
    Jimmy used to talk about changing from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner. Now that he's doing his ketone n=1 experiment, he talks about being ketone-adapted. Sorry to sound dense... but what is the difference? Is the ketone-adapted just a more extreme version??

    All this time I thought I was a "fat-burner", since I eat very low carb... but now I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I fully understand the difference either. Ketones denote that you are burning fat. Pee tests are not definitive. Apparently there are two types of ketone. The blood ones are a sign of better fat burning. I guess I'll learn more as I read the Volek/Phinney book. Ketone adapted seems to be the expression to describe sports people who are most able to burn fat and apparently it takes two weeks of being in nutritional ketosis for this to happen. As far as I understand nutritional ketosis comes about by eating a balance of macro-nutrients which puts your blood ketones consistently at a certain level. I think they mean that it takes work to make our bodies become good fat burners so that we don't hit the wall as carb burners do. A lot of the terms seem to be coined by Volek and Phinney, maybe others, because we don't have language for this comparatively new science.

    Now we can all be confused together.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully optimistic post. Except for the quote, of course. I am neither prey nor predator, thank you.

    As far as the fat burner vs ketone-adapted. Same thing, fancier name IMHO.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete