Thursday, January 24, 2013

CHOLESTEROL LINKS TO GOOD INFROMATION AND A SOME HUMOUR

NOT SURE WHERE I FOUND THIS BUT IT SPEAKS TO ME WITH LOVE

12 MONTHS MAINLY WHEAT FREE AND CONTINUING

8/31 DAYS SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 26.5 kg/58.5 lbs


Welcome to all readers. 

I am 73 years old and working at being in nutritional ketosis √° la Jimmy Moore of Livin La Vida fame.

It's never too late to change your life for better.




MY TARGET RATIO TO MAINTAIN NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS

1150 Calories 
95. 5 gm fat (75%) = 858 cal.
57 gm protein (20%) = 228 cal.
14.5 gm carbohydrates (5%) = 58 cal.



I don't plan to be perfect. If I am close 5 out of 7 days I will be happy.

THOUGHTS .......

There is an interesting discussion about breakfast in the comments on yesterday's post. Thanks to everyone who participated and thanks to June for starting it.

I am totally happy about what is happening in my body right now. Sometimes I feel anxious because there is no-one in my immediate circle who is au fait with nutritional science. I do wish I could get some of the tests available, no doubt at great cost, in some labs in USA. I guess it will take many years for the fear of fat and the better knowledge about the importance of cholesterol to filter into main stream medicine. It's not the first time I have needed to be silent about the way my diet is trending. I remember the first time I was serious about low carbing and the hysteria of one particular forum member. She went on and on about the danger of ketoacidosis when I said I was eating to stay in ketosis. I used urine test strips and it would have been impossible for me to go into ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis is a very serious problem for some Type 1 Diabetics. It is not common and few diabetics test for it because a good diet and health care ensures safety for most. I am familiar with being in a ketogenic state and it is less controversial than it once was.

Nutrition medicine is growing in leaps and bounds. No doubt this is partly due to the escalating cost of traditional medicine and a growing knowledge that we are what we eat. I don't buy into that last statement 100% because I think there are many other influences on our health and well-being but it's true that what we eat is a prime factor in how our bodies function.

For now I will continue on my quest to get the balance right so my body picks up the game and breaks the set point I am stuck in. Today I feel sluggish and I'm guessing this has a lot to with it working to adjust to getting back into ketosis or fat burning mode. My fasting ketones are still low so it might take a week or more. The Lean For Life program I used to follow was fairly straight forward. I just had up to three mainly protein, and almost zero carb days and voil√° the stix showed the right colour. That was a low fat style and although I didn't buy into all the reduced fat products, I was eating less fats than now. I must admit I am re-looking at that program and wondering if it is more suited to me. Time will tell. I want to give nutritional ketosis with testing for blood ketones a good chance to prove itself for me. I will write more about the importance of ketone testing another day.

I am self experimenting and one friend, Lorretta,  suggested I might like to consider myself a test pilot. I just do not want to crash and burn but I doubt if there is any risk of that. I am far too aware of when my body is out of sorts and I probably am not as strict with my eating program as some would be.

I've just made what could be a very yummy and perfect icecream for this plan. About 1 cup full of cream whipped till reasonably firm. 1 teaspoon, or according to your taste, peppermint essence and grated a square or two of very dark chocolate. I used  12 gm/1/2 ounce 75%. It's still freezing down so will be interesting to see how it works as an occasional snack when the day is hot. This has probably made more than 8 servings for me unless I get terribly greedy.

Why we need cholesterol

And what about this piece of satire from FatHead Tom Naughton. Tom has just released a new version of the movie Fat Head.

Dietitian Cassie talks here about the big fat lies we've been told about fats. It's not news that some fats are bad for us but why oh why did we throw away the good fat too?


The Wheat Message. I guess it is important when Colbert spoofs it. Warning there is a moment of crudeness.

Oh Gosh! This post is full of links but I cannot publish without this poem of love from one of my favourite writers. Shauna. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and now I'm in tears too. So beautiful.

HOW DID I DO? .......

Fasting Blood ketones = 0.3 my target is 1.5
15 minutes cross-trainer
Fats = 77 %
Proteins = 13.5 %
Carbs = 9.5 %
Total calories for day = 1243


I am happy with today. Had my hair cut and styled and it is looking good now. It has almost grown into the slightly longer style I want.

Breakfast:- Coffee and cream. This is a decadent way to start the day. I am generally strict about how much coffee I drink limiting to the mornings with an occasional cup in the middle of the day. I count it as breakfast because I am only hungry for 2 meals most days and maybe the odd snack of including a few almonds before I go to bed, an unnecessary but pleasant treat. Most days our mornings are leisurely and I prefer to take my walk or do the cross-trainer thing in a fasted state.

Lunch: HB egg Strawberries and cream.

Dinner:- Mini meat loaf with courgette, carrot and red cabbage.

Snacks:- Feta and olives. We decided not to stop in town for lunch but I was getting hungry. While John filled the car with petrol I popped into the SuperMarket for lemons and got myself a small container of olives and feta from the Deli. I wasn't at all hungry when we got home.

Drinks:- Water x 5
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 0
Cream coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

15 min = 3.25 km

January Total = 21.5/140 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed officially. Accuretic becomes Accupril.
12th January, 2013 ..... another med change by self. I only take Accupril occasionally if at all. Still on Plendil 2.5mg until BP checked

Start weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st December:- 86 kg/189 lb
1st January:- 87.5/192.5 lbs

2013 Weight Loss History Starting at 87.5 kg/195.5 lbs
January:-


2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:- 2 kg/4.5 lbs
November:- NC
December:- + 1.5 kg/3 lbs

2 comments:

  1. You eat so very little. I suppose your body as gotten used to it. At night when I can hungry I have to remind myself that is a good thing. Those hunger pangs mean the body is burning fat and there is no need to feed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do seem to be eating less. It's interesting that I very rarely feel hungry now that I have more Fats in my diet. It seems that when we eat more fat and fewer carbohydrates our bodies learn to use stored fat as well as what we are consuming in a day. There is definitely some kind of magic place where fats, Carbohydrates and Protein are in balance and this appears to be a very individual thing.

    The cream in my morning coffee and the 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil when I take my vitamin supplements, satisfy me for hours. I use a Nordic sourced oil that's citrus flavoured, lemon is best, and it's so easy to take. I do usually wake up with an awareness of my tummy being empty but do not crave food. I tend to eat to hunger and a pattern has developed where I want something to eat around 11 am to midday. Often a small snack, maybe cheese, olives or nuts, around 3.30 -4 pm and then we have dinner anytime between 5.45 and 6.45 pm. I do not necessarily feel hungry then but John always looks for his evening meal about 6 pm. I often go to bed late so an evening snack is reasonable. I do need to get my sleep balance corrected again. John sleeps an average of 2 hours more than me every night. I've never had his ability to just fall asleep and if I wake up it usually takes 2 - 4 hours before I'm sleepy again.

    I was surprised at how few calories I needed but then I am not terribly active. I read A Lot.*smiles*

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete