Wednesday, December 5, 2012

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE FAT BOMBS?

PORT OF TARANAKI,
VIEW FROM OUR BREAKFAST TABLE
NEW PLYMOUTH

340 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 28 kg/61.5 lbs

No change in November

Welcome to all readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.




TARGET RATIO

1150 Calories 
95. 5 gm fat (75%) = 858 cal.
57 gm protein (20%) = 228 cal.
14.5 gm carbohydrates (5%) = 58 cal.

THOUGHTS .......

I don't plan to be perfect. If I am close more than 50% of the time I will be happy. Yesterday's worked out something like this.


Fats = 69.5 %
Proteins = 21.5 %
Carbs = 9 %
Total calories for day = 1187

TODAY


Fats = 74.2 %
Proteins = 15.5 %
Carbs = 910.3 %
Total calories for day = 1147



WEIGHT I'm happy with that and the scales moved in the right direction again this morning. I probably lost water weight but that's good as I knew there was some fluid retention. That means I can expect my first significant weight loss in about 5 weeks.

FOOD Somewhere recently I mentioned fat bombs. They sound very scary yet the people eating them seem to be very happy with the results. My initial reaction was that this concentration of fat could not possibly be sensible, But...... It intrigued me that some of the LCHF people talk about downing fat bombs to keep their satiety level high and it keeps them in nutritional ketosis, the fat burning zone. For the life of me I couldn't understand how they could do this. I had lost of questions.

1. What on earth is a Fat Bomb?
2. How can they be normal food?
3. Can they be healthy and safe food?
4. How can a Fat Bomb be palatable?

Then I saw a picture of a Fat Bomb here on Anne H's Low CarB Blog. She followed this up a few days later with a description of making Fat Bombs.

You've got to know that curiosity got the better of me. Last night I made my first Fat Bomb. They were not entirely carb free because I do not use artificial sweeteners. I melted 50 gm butter with 50gm coconut oil and while it was warm but not hot I grated a 15 gm slab of Whittakers Dark Ghana Chocolate into the fat and added a few chopped almonds. I lightly oiled a small plastic container and popped it into the freezer. A couple of hours  later I was able to tip out a thin slab of  "new chocolate," or   and weigh it, dividing it into 4 servings. I can't say it was fabulous but it was pleasant and am looking forward to this as a treat each day to help keep my fats high enough. I can imagine this with a couple of maraschino cherries and some finely shredded coconut flesh mixed in to make a 'safe' chocolate treat for me. What about peppermint? Now that would make one of my favourite combinations. I doubt if anyone else in our family will be enthusiastic but if they work I'm happy.

I am a little concerned about whether a high fat diet is truly healthy but so many people have been doing this for an extended time I'll take the risk for a couple of months and see. I had blood tests yesterday so have some base markers although it was a fairly basic test so there's no way to really tell if lipids are in the Danger Zone or not. My true guidelines will be how I feel within myself , both emotionally and physically, and how energetic and mentally alert I am.

One thing that has already eased off is the uncomfortable abdominal feeling. It's hard to describe but I did seem to be a little bloated and feel as though I was not digesting my food properly. I felt tight, uncomfortable with quite a lot of tenderness and some mild pain This is what bread/wheat does to me but I don't think I'd eaten much in the way of wheat so wonder what was causing the discomfort.

My eating pattern has changed again. I have coffee with whipped cream for "breakfast." Yesterday I tried a smoothie for lunch. The one I make is high in carbohydrates but has always worked for me. I think I'll stick to it unless my weight stalls again. My recipe .... 0.5 cup full fat milk, 0.5 cup full fat Greek yoghurt, handful frozen berries, 1 scoop, (15gm) whey protein powder with a little extra water if it seems too thick. It's the dairy that makes it high carb, about 20 gm, so I need to choose my veggies carefully.

GARDEN I harvested our own mesculin salad yesterday. So nice having fresh salad leaves but the harvesting bit seemed a little tedious. Maybe I was already feeling a little tired from gardening. Most of the ornamental stuff is sorted for this season. I was going to focus on veggies today and one narrow border of ornamentals which has been seriously neglected. We have rain. This has to be one of the most uncomfortable spring/early winter seasons I have experienced in many years. My eye has been up set by wind and cold and now when it's warmed up a bit it rains. I'm arranging for a gardener, maybe a couple of hours a fortnight. That should help prevent the garden going to wrack and ruin. John has been installing some irrigation pipes. They will help, but I need to get an electronic timer that will work when we are away. Our strawberries are safely tucked up under bird netting.

REPORTING BACK .......

Frustrated by the weather. No gardening.

HOW DID I DO? .......

OK  Stayed on plan. Tired and off to bed early for me.


Breakfast:- Coffee and whipped cream. Currently I've come to think as this as breakfast

Lunch: Smoothie

Dinner:- Spinach and bacon omelet

Snacks:- Chocolat au Anne, MargieAnne's chocolate, almonds.

Edit:- I did a google search for Chocolat au Anne. Oops! There is a blog and a Face Book page with that name all in French so I can only guess at the content. I am going to rename my little Fat Bombs MargieAnne's Chocolate. Doesn't quite have the same ring does it?

Drinks:- Water x 4
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 0
Cream coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes/no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

September Total:- 8/160 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.


Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st November:- 86 kg/189 lb
1st December:- 86 kg/189 lb

Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:- 2 kg/4.5 lbs
November:- NC

4 comments:

  1. Re: the stomach issues. When we eat carbohydrate, our livers "bulk up" with the addition of glycogen stores. When we cut out carbs, those stores are depleted--reducing bloat and tenderness.

    Everyone holds different amounts of glycogen and the water that attaches to it. For me, experience has shown that I hold about 6 pounds.

    One heavy carb day will show a 6 pound gain overnight. It takes me about 4 days of very low carb intake to lose that 6 pounds.

    That event may be at work with you right now.

    I've been writing--and erasing--a post entitled, "LCHF, the diet formerly known as gluttony" for quite a while now. I'll be interested to see what your final take on it turns out to be.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to learn more about glycogen. I've tended to skip over anything about it because I've always recognised my issues are with starches .... dopey me.

      *smiles*

      Delete
  2. Hi MargieAnne,
    I've tried the Fat Bombs with stevia and they're pretty good. But I quit making them because they are too "expensive" calorie wise. I've also noticed in the LC forums that a lot of people backed off totally, or are very careful with them for the same reason. They say if they don't include it in their totals, and have it as an extra instead, they stall, regardless of whether or not they are carb free versions. But you are sitting at 1150 calories, so if they are included in that, I'll be curious to see how it goes for you. The healthy fats are good for you, but man oh man, the calories add up fast. :-O

    Oh, and have you tried coconut milk in your smoothie in place of the milk and yogurt?? We get it here in a can and it tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm even more dopey than I thought. Wrot a reply and forgot to publish so now lost.

      MargieAnne's chocolate is very expensive in calories. 25gm = 230 cals. I do include it in mt self-imposed calorie target. I'd be scared not to.

      Must try coconut milk sometime, probably better for my skin than milk. Need to use all my yoghurt first.

      *smiles*

      Delete