Saturday, December 8, 2012

PRE-CHRISTMAS THOUGHTS AND CHRISTMAS PUDDING

A PARROT IN ONE OF BILL'S AVIARIES, NEW PLYMOUTH

342 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 28 kg/61.5 lbs

No change in November

Welcome to all readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.





TARGET RATIO

1150 Calories 
95. 5 gm fat (75%) = 858 cal.
57 gm protein (20%) = 228 cal.
14.5 gm carbohydrates (5%) = 58 cal.

THOUGHTS .......

I woke up with one plan on my mind. I really, really want to get my garden finished and up to date today. The weather is not great so will see if it improves later in the morning.  I need to contact my 'possible' gardener today and get things set up with her.

Ages ago I planned to make Christmas Puddings. I like to use Mum's family traditional pudding and the last few times I've divided it into cute flower pots which are about twice the size of a large muffin. I give them away to friends and family and they can save them for later or serve them on Christmas Day. There are two generous servings per pudding and it can easily be made to serve 4 although I doubt if that would satisfy me. My best plan is to get these made before Labour Weekend, about October 20th. I have never been that well organised. Some years I have left it to the last week. We are going away next Wednesday so I knew that I had to get the mixture made up today or not at all. Tomorrow morning I will begin cooking. I only have 4 flower pots so it takes me a few days to get them all cooked.

This year I "healthified" the recipe by exchanging the flour for a mixture of non-wheat flours and I halved the sugar because it really is quite sweet with all the dried fruit and fruit juices. I also halved the butter. That was accidental. I didn't convert pounds to grams properly. Have I ever mentioned I am arithmetically challenged!! I doubt if it will matter because when I rubbed the butter into the flour it was difficult enough. Another 500 gm would have been very awkward to mix and in other years I have noticed that quite a lot of butter seeps out of the baking container into the water bath. I remember that you could always see the butter Mum's puddings when they were cold. Mum used butter rather than suet because she liked to serve the pudding cold with icecream or even a small finger of pudding, as you might serve un-iced Christmas cake, with a cup of tea or coffee.

We don't have brandy and rum in the house but have lots of shiraz, (red wine). We are not big drinkers and had an open bottle which I upended without measuring properly. Typical of my cooking. I did try to record my modifications to the recipe for future reference. I will not make this again for another 11 months. It is special Christmas food and far too rich and expensive to make more often. The large bowl of uncooked pudding will perfume the house with Christmas spices, tantalises out taste buds, for the next few days. Today it sits on the floor out of the way beside the kitchen bench.

I love all the activity around Christmas ..... but .... I am not one of those super efficient well organised people. My sister delivered her Christmas gift on Thursday. I have not even begun to shop. I remember one year when I was super busy and did 90% of my shopping on Christmas Eve after 6 pm. Wow! That was a lesson in trying to do too much too late. Granted by the time I got to the shops in our town they were quiet and it was easy to see what was left on the shelves.

We have boxes of Christmas lights in a pile on the floor. I'm not sure about putting up a tree. We'll be away between 12th and 27th so there doesn't seem much point in spending time and effort. On top of that I did promise myself I'd go through Mum's Christmas list and send out Cards. That will be a mission. The last few years of Mum's life she began writing her cards before the end of November and had them mailed before the middle of December. Some years I have sent out my friendly catch-up newsletter and card around New Year as it seemed less stressful. That's because it was another thing I left to the last possible deadline and would be posting two days before the mail closed for the holidays.

That has been my pattern in so many things all my life. Never do anything too early because you will probably need to re-do it. *haha* The laugh is always on me. The amazing thing is that most times I got away with it. While I was at school I studied the night before, even immediately before exams and came up in the top 10 in my class. I have a case half packed from last time we were away early in November. Normally I would pack a few hours before we leave home. I usually write a list, make sure the laundry is completely up to date and pack in a hurry at the last minute. On this trip John and I are sharing the single piece of checked in luggage. I doubt if he'll be happy with me. I will need to have most things ready Monday night so he can see how much space he has. I will do most of our South Island gift buying in Christchurch to save weight.

REPORTING BACK .......

It became a lazy day after getting up all enthused to do something. I'm running out of time to do half the things I want to finish before we leave.

I don't plan to be perfect. If I am close more than 50% of the time I will be happy.

Fats = 67.2 %
Proteins = 20.2 %
Carbs = 12.6 %
Total calories for day = 1223

HOW DID I DO? .......

I had the same meals as yesterday so very little difference except for a couple of minor snacks which pushed the carb and calorie count up. I feel a little peckish tonight but I'm not going to snack anymore. I'm so close to a new low I'm determined not to spoil it.

Breakfast:- Coffee and cream

Lunch: Smoothie

Dinner:- Chicken and spinach left over from last night

Snacks:- MargieAnne's chocolate. Sounds so much better than Fat Bomb, few almonds, an olive and a sundried tomato in oil.

Drinks:- Water x 5
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 0
Cream coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

September Total:- 8/160 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.

Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st November:- 86 kg/189 lb
1st December:- 86 kg/189 lb

Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:- 2 kg/4.5 lbs
November:- NC

4 comments:

  1. I rather enjoyed reading about your Mum's Christmas pudding. It brought back memories of my own Mom's traditional pudding. She called it Indian Pudding, since it had corn meal in it. But it had all those aromatic spices that had the whole house scented so wonderfully. She cooked it a long time on the top of the stove, stirring the whole time. Then is went into the oven to bake to finish. So much work! Yet is was usually only once a year, and was such a treat. She liked to serve it hot, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

    Makes me smile...not so much the pudding itself, but the memories connected to it. I hope you enjoy your pudding making this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad there is someone else out there who leaves things to the last minute for Christmas LOL
    I've made some little chocolates (bombs) and have them in the freezer.......just used coconut oil, cocoa and a a little raw honey :) Yummy :) They really help with constipation.......well that's my excuse :)
    Like you I have a heap of things that I want to get done before we go away but I don't think some od them will get done. The weather is so changeable down here it makes doing things outside impossible to plan.
    Hope you are enjoying your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother made the traditional Christmas pudding every year--she called it Johnny Bull Pudding. She used suet and nuts and raisins, tied up in a clean white cloth and boiled it on the stove. Served it with a sweet, white sauce.

    I used to help her make it every year, grinding those nuts and the suet, but I haven't a clue as how to go about making one on my own. Just as well, I think.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe and photos tomorrow, promise.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete