Tuesday, December 18, 2012

FACING UNIMAGINABLE GRIEF AND ANGER

I've thought a lot about the terrible shooting and killing at a primary school in Connecticut. I can't imagine how awful it is for all those who have any personal connection to the community. I can only guess at how it must feel to the families who have lost a loved one. I am glad that someone in the community remembered the shooter's family. Being the parent of someone who has harmed others is painful beyond description. The shame, wanting to die, wishing you'd never given birth and more. All those thoughts race through your mind higgledy piggledy. The questions , the self doubt, asking where you went wrong never end.

I read a comforting article a few minutes ago on one of the blogs I read regularly. Here's a link to a pastoral letter. There are no simple answers, no trite words of comfort.

4 comments:

  1. I too noticed the parent who had sympathy for the shooter's family - they too have had a loss and I thought it was very gracious of that parent.

    This is just such a terrible tragedy but it seems more and more common. Just unimaginable to lose your child that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Being the parent of someone who has harmed others is painful beyond description. The shame, wanting to die, wishing you'd never given birth and more. All those thoughts race through your mind higgledy piggledy. The questions , the self doubt, asking where you went wrong never end."

    My niece is a baby Christian, and the subject came up about the parents/family members of this young man who did the shooting. I mentioned (no names, of course) about my friend's situation (you), and she has such a tender heart towards the Lord, and the zeal and innocent belief of a new believer. She offered this prayer on your behalf, and I believe it has touched the Fathers heart. I know it did mine:

    "Lord, we say NO to this guilt, it has no place in her life, and break off this spirit of shame, it doesn't belong in your presence... Fill her with glistening hope!"

    Hugs,
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very sweet prayer and soothing to my soul.

      Thank-you for taking the time to repeat your niece's prayer for me.

      Blessings.

      Delete