Friday, November 2, 2012

CONFUSED BY CALORIES, GRAMS AND ARITHMETIC

TE REWA REWA BRIDGE TAKEN FROM THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF NEW PLYMOUTH

307 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

1/20 DAYS SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 28 kg/61.5 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.



Old ratio
1150 calories 
101 gm fat (79%)
46 gm protein (16%)
14.5 gm carbs (5%)

Current Ratio

1250 Calories 
107 gm fat (77%) = 963 cal.
56 gm protein (18%) = 225 cal.
15 gm carbohydrates (5%) = 62 cal.


I quite like the look of this breakdown so hope it goes well and I can stay close over the next week or so.

THOUGHTS .......

Wherever I look there are sightly different recommendations for the number of calories or grams of protein I should eat for optimal health. No wonder I prefer not to count, but here I am. doing just that. Mind you, I would not consider doing so for one micro-second if it were not for on-line programs and the tracker I have downloaded.

One website suggests 46 gm of protein per day for good health, another a minimum of 68gms. I want to eat 225 calories from protein.. That converts to 56 grams protein and 18% of my total macro-nutrients. I tried to convert that to ounces and came up with 1.9 ounces. Whaaat!!!!! No wonder Deb thinks what I'm doing sounds crazy.

Have I mentioned that arithmetic and me are not good friends? At school, (was that a million years ago?) I loved Maths. I deliberately bombed in a couple of subjects so that I could take Maths as one of my main subjects in my final 2 years. Looking back I suppose it was the puzzle and accuracy aspects of geometry and algebra that I enjoyed. I was good at those two aspects of Maths. Arithmetic was always a challenge. I liked the precision and that answers were right or wrong, but without calculators my accuracy left much to be desired. All these years later I am struggling to remember the simple processes. I use on-line help pages but as usual I'm too impatient to learn and retain the details. That would be boring.

I played with the numbers and the only satisfactory, to me, ratio and calorie intake is the one I have highlighted in red. I will follow it for the next couple of days and then it's all on the wing, so to speak, as we will be travelling. Most of the time we are staying in Motels where we will have total control over food but my normal food routine, such as it is, will be disrupted. I'll stay as close to my guidelines as possible but I'm not going to freak out if things get way out of line. This trip is for fun and visiting family and friends. Enjoying our time with people we care about is more important to me than a few calories. I will soon be back on the straight and narrow .... November 12th. Life is for living and worrying about a few calories or a food imbalance is not my idea of a fun, relaxing and romantic time. I'm hoping that by the time we leave home on Sunday I will be comfortable with serving sizes and a have few strategies to keep my fat/protein/carbohydrate ratios roughly where I want them.

Did you see the R word. We will have 3 full days in New Plymouth. That's the city where we met so many years ago. I'm guessing that a lot of my readers were not even born before 1960,  It's a city we both love and has many beautiful features including the bridge in today's featured photo. New Plymouth is a special destination because it's out on a limb, nearly as far west as you can go in the North Island of New Zealand. To have 3 days there will be a real treat so I hope the weather co-operates.

NB I didn't get too excited about my weight yesterday. It's what I expected. I have lost at least 1.5 kg/3 pound in the last 10 or so days which means my experiment is working. I'm not sure whether it's because I have chosen a particular ratio of macro-nutrients or because I am counting and restricting calories. The reason doesn't matter too much to me. The results do. I will continue along similar lies for a while yet. I am very close to an official weight loss of more than 30 kg this year and it feels good. My unofficial weight loss for this year has to be something like 32 kg/70 lbs or more. I was unable to weigh myself until I had been 13 days wheat free. I guess If I'd known it was going to be so successful I'd have done so. I do remember that in December 2011 I was unwell, puffed up, breathless, not wanting to move, struggling to get in and out of the car and all the symptoms of out of control blood pressure in spite of the medication I was taking. I was avoiding going to my doctor, scared of what she might want me to do. I knew I had to change. All of those things have been changed.

I decided to put up a couple of progress photos. I was never going to let these ones go public but scary as they are I'm placing at the bottom of this post. I'm not sure how long I will leave them there.

REPORTING BACK .......

I've had a good day but tiring. I still ache a bit from yesterday's gardening so I did not do much this morning. We got our laundry done and dry which is a good thing because rain is on the way and we plan to be packed and on the road by 10 am Sunday. That leaves tomorrow free to potter and get a giant frittata ready to bake first thing Sunday morning.

We went into town this afternoon and had haircuts. I guess mine cost 5 or 6 times as much as John's. My friend, the talented hairdresser, has given me a new style. We are still waiting for a few bits to reach the length we want but it still looks good. The back is layered and shaped so that no hair shows behind my ears. The bits in front of my ears are slowly growing down to below my chin. I might have the full style before our wedding anniversary at the end of March next year. I like my hair short but a few photos made me look like a man. Did not like that. Longer pieces around my face appealed to me and more so since the Bells Palsy twisted my face.

Yesterday I made delicious mini meat loaves. The original recipe, called Garden Veggie Meat Muffins, is here on Life's as a Plate. I didn't alter it very much, just adapted to what I had on hand. They were so Yummy. My mixture, using about 350 gm minced beef, filled the 6 holes in my silicone muffin pans. Two other pluses. They were easy to serve and clean up after and 2 were leftover for my lunch today.

Lunch and snack  = 430 cal
Fats = 65.5%
Proteins = 22.7%
Carbs = 11/8%
After Dinner = 1037 cal
Fats = 72.3%
Proteins = 18.8%
Carbs = 8.9%
After Snacks and Drinks = 1248 cal
Fats = 75.1%
Proteins = 16.5%
Carbs = 8.4%



HOW DID I DO? .......


Day has gone well. I got in my 35 minutes on the cross-trainer and I stayed within my new calorie limit. My ratios are close enough. But I feel as though I ate too much. 1250 calories should not be too much food. Maybe I'll be more comfortable when I start swallowing a teaspoon of castor oil each day. Not sure how I'm going to stomach it but it will be nearly half my daily fat calories not to mention all the omega 3s floating around.  Edit Cannot believe I wrote castor oil. Of course I meant Cod Liver oil. I bought Arctic lemon flavoured. It's supposes to be good and the taste is supposed to be mild. I'll know when I try it tomorrow.

Brunch:- Mini meat loaf

Late Lunch: Mini meat loaf

Dinner:- Bacon, omelet and mushroom.

Snacks:- Almonds

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 4
Cream coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

35 minutes cross-trainer = 8 km

September Total:- 8/160 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.


Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st October:- 88 kg/193.5 lbs
1st November:- 86 kg/189 lbs

Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:- 2 kg/4.5 lbs


The blue swim suit belongs to the 2000s Those photos were taken 2005
John took the lower two photos this afternoon.

 The photos are terribly scary. This is what happens to a body that has been fat too long and is now over 70. Some parts will never recover. There is 7 years and 20 kg /44 pounds difference between the sets of photos. I have no confidence that I will look much better in another 20 kg time. It's just as well being healthy is as important to me as looking good.  Between the Bells Palsy  twisting my face and all the flab hanging down it's quite depressing.

3 comments:

  1. You are doing so well so stop pressuring yourself so much! You are looking so much better and I'm the same as you - my skin on my thighs etc is completely over looking smooth! I don't let it worry me though as I can't change it.

    I love that you are eating more fat and less carbs etc but don't forget to relax and enjoy life too. Oh and I well remember 1960 :) Have a lovely time in New Plymouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, MargieAnne. :) I somehow missed your weight loss announcement yesterday, so a belated, CONGRATULATIONS!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!!!

    I'm short on time, but I want to say this now so I don't forget.

    One ounce of meat, fish, fowl, etc = approx. 6 grams of protein. you can not count protein grams by converting gram weight to ounces. 1 ounce protein source =6 grams protein nutrient.

    I spent months researching how much protein to eat. It was so frustrating and confusing (and poor Loretta kindly suffered thru it with me.).

    you may know these facts, but it took me a long time to know them, so I'm passing it on, just in case.

    1. As you know, our bodies can burn either glucose or fat for fuel. If we cut carb and increase fat, our bodies burn fat (and produce ketones in the process)for its fuel.

    2. The typical nutrient rec for optimal protein consumption assumes you are eating a typical diet of at least 30 to 50% carbohydrate and lists the amount of protein our bodies need for cell repair, etc.

    3. Although our bodies will burn fat as fuel, it still needs protein for bodily maintenace AND some glucose for brain functioning & a couple of other things.

    4. Just as our bodies switch to burning fat when getting few carbs, our brain witches to burning ketones...mostly. BUT it still requires some glucose.

    5. When we are eating insufficient glucose to fuel our brains, it will suck the glucose out of the protein we eat. So, now our protein needs to maintain our body AND fuel our brain.

    6. If we don't eat enough protein to cover BOTH of those functions, the brain will suck the glucose out of our MUSCLES. Our heart is a muscle.

    7. Soooo, we need to eat more protein than what is usually consider optimal for us.

    8. The best resources for determining how much more protein we need when on a very low carb diet are those sources that specifically refer to a low carb or ketogenic diet in their calculations. Like the CarbSmart link you posted the other day or the calculator I passed onto you from the site, BloodSugar 101.

    Okay. Tutorial over. If you already knew all of that, I'm sorry for the boredom. I really just found out most of that recently. Helpful little person that I am, I felt compelled to pass it on. I wish someone had passed it on to me months ago as it would have saved me lots of frustration.

    Again, congrats on the weight loss!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. You put that so much more succinctly than I can. Can we say I'm getting there.

      *smiles*

      Delete