Saturday, October 27, 2012

SCATTERBRAINED! WHO? ME? NEVER!!!

CHOOSING A DESIGN FOR A MOSAIC BUTTERFLY 

300 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

5/15 DAYS SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 26.5 kg/58 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.

THOUGHTS .......

More fiddling with nutrients today. I think I've got rid of at least 1 pound this week so that's a start. Official weight loss numbers on Wednesday at the beginning of November. Wow! So close to the end of the year. I'm thinking about pulling out Mum's traditional Christmas pudding recipe which is very rich. It has a lot of dried fruit and nuts some flour which I will change to almond and coconut flour and lots of butter. It is a bit of a sugar hit so special occasion food only. I'll probably make it sometime in the next two weeks and for once it will have time to mature before Christmas. That would be a first for me. I seem to always leave things like this to the last possible moment. It's a bit of a mission to make them since instead of a couple of large puddings I make little ones in glazed flower pots, boiling them for ages, four at a time. It takes at least 3 days to complete the cooking the mixture but they make lovely gifts and can be eaten in a single serving although it's probably wiser to split and share since they are roughly twice the size of a regular muffin.

I want to stay around 1150 calories so this is how my breakdown of macro-nutrients should look like. This is what I am aiming for today. It's a long time since I went to school and arithmetic was never my strong point so if anyone wants to work this out and finds I've got it wrong please tell me.

1150 calories 
101 gm fat (79%)
46 gm protein (16%)
14.5 gm carbs (5%)


This looks like a safe enough LCHF ratio to me and I think the protein level is high enough for now. I hope I don't have to do this tweaking and measuring for much longer. I gave up any thoughts of WW because of the measuring and counting and here I am deeply into the counting scene. All I can say in defence is that's it's for a good purpose. If this works for me I will be a happy chappie once more.

I am so scatter brained. The day after leaving Rotorua I realised I'd left a skirt in the hotel wardrobe so called them and sent a self addressed courier bag. Not only had I left a skirt behind but I was surprised to find my petticoat and a fuschia jacket in the packet.

Back at home I was unpacking when I realised I do not have all the jewellery I thought I had with me. I put my thinking cap on and was almost too scared to tell John because the missing stuff is quite valuable, not to mention sentimental. It was a huge relief when our son phoned last night and confirmed that I had left the sapphire ring at their place back in September. I had placed the box on a dark shelf under the bedside table in their guest room. We bought it on our first trip to USA back in 2005 and it is the only expensive piece of jewellery we have purchased. My engagement and wedding rings are comparatively modest. Apart from the fact that it's a pretty ring John is very proud that he has bought me one piece of good jewellery.

The other box remains a mystery. It holds a gold and opal bracelet, brooch and earrings that Mum left me. I'm wondering if I took them with me on our last trip and hoping I left them at the first place we stayed which is my friend, Julie's. We did check the flat before we left but maybe I put the box somewhere not so obvious. I'm almost certain I did not have them with me in Rotorua but now my mind is playing tricks. Perhaps I can ask John to take me to Pauanui on Sunday and I can go to church and check up with Julie. I hate to think they may have gone missing from our hotel room. Surely I wasn't that careless. Edit .. The opals were in a box in my drawer. I hadn't looked there because I thought I knew what was in that particular box. 

As an aside. John went to church with me at Pauanui and that is the second time this year, third time in 14 months. Maybe he is softening.

I am tired of being scatterbrained. I have a really good mind but details get pushed aside never to be recalled. One of my biggest faults is tidying things away and forgetting where the tidy place is. I want to get another mosaic project out. The one I really want to do is missing. A foot wide sun and several bags of tiles and glue and grout. Where did it go? So frustrating. I'd set my mind on doing it and now I'll have to do the butterfly. Maybe I need to go through the house and bus and do the spring clean and sorting out which is so badly needed. But I'll make the butterfly first.

REPORTING BACK .......

Today's  508 calorie breakfast. 
Fats = 79.7%
Proteins = 17.6%
Carbohydrates = 2.7 %. 

Looks OK so far

After Dinner = 926 cal
Fats = 76.6%
Proteins = 19.4%
Carbs = 4%
After Snacks and Drinks = 1148 cal
Fats = 76%
Proteins = 19%
Carbs = 5 %


Total calories for day = 1148 ... can't get much closer to goal. Protein/fat ratio slightly off but close enough. The thing is I am learning new serving sizes with some success. My meals were totally satisfying but I'm not so keen on the mouth feel of all the fat I had in my dinner.



HOW DID I DO? .......

It was good to get 35 minutes on the cross-trainer without feeling that I had over-done things


Breakfast:- Omelet with bacon, spinach, cherry tomato, cream, olive oil, butter and coconut oil. Big breakfast for me but it was 10.30am so more like brunch and I'd already achieved 35 minutes on the cross-trainer.

Dinner:- Stir-fry chicken, cabbage and cauliflower in coconut oil and butter with thyme, fresh ground pepper and sea salt.

Snacks:- 1/4 wedge camembert and almonds. I've been snacking on almonds when I go to bed. Last night I really did not want them so much. I could have done with them mid afternoon when I ate the camembert and some of the almonds I had allocated for the day. Perhaps it is time to give up the bedtime snacking.

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 4
Black coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

35 minutes cross-trainer = 8 km

September Total:- 25.5/60 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.


Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st September:- 87 kg/191.5 lbs
1st October:- 88 kg/193.5 lbs
Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:-

5 comments:

  1. MargieAnne, I do hate to sound like a broken record, but I don't think 46 grams of protein is NOT enough. Really. Please do some research---maybe you'll prove me wrong. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb. Something is not adding up here. I converted the 12 ounces of protein to grams and came up with 340 gm. That seems like a massive amount of protein even to me.

    I then looked up RDA recommendations and for my age it came up 46 or maybe 50 grams on every page I went to.This is only comes to about 2 ounces on my conversion charts. Who is right?

    Yesterday my protein came from 2 eggs, 25 gm cheddar cheese, 50 grams of bacon. 90 grams of cooked chicken, (which I counted as raw so my calculation is a bit low there), plus almonds, cream and camembert, (soft cheese). I was eating a lot more protein but this still looks like enough to me.

    Thanks for challenging me and making me look around for info. I really do appreciate that someone went to the bother of reading all those numbers and checking them out.

    I'll stay with what I'm doing for another day or so as I feel really good about it but do let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh. There are two different kinds of grams in play here. :) I was confused by that the other day, too.

      I rechecked my calculator to make sure that I had my numbers right. It says I'm to have between 72 & 81 grams of protein. But then it went on to say that 72 grams of protein was equivalent to 12 ounces or 340 grams. I thought it was a typo, so I did math (ack) to see if it was trying to say "calories" instead of grams, but no.

      It was quite a while later that I realized that the 340 grams was WEIGHT, not protein grams. 12 ounces (weight) or 340 grams (weight) equaled 72 grams of protein.

      Since we weigh about the same, I'm thinking you should be aiming for the 72 grams--12 ounces--of protein, too.

      Remember. your brain MUST have glucose. If it does not have sufficient glucose, you will feel tired & foggy, but more than that, your body will eat your muscles. As yo know, when you don't eat carbohydrate, your body gets its glucose from the protein you eat and the ketones you burn from fat. It cannot live only on ketones. the glucose must also come from protein. And your muscles need protein, too.

      While ratios are a nice guide, it does not negate the amount of protein you need. Figuring that amount was my hardest part.

      Deb

      Delete
  3. In case you are interested, Jimmy Moore interview a dr on "All Things Protein". http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/atlcx-episode-24-all-things-protein-protein-101-dr-donald-layman/15359

    Can't say I agree with the higher carbs for everyone, but he made the point from years of research that he felt no one should be eating less than 90 grams of protein a day. He says to do so while losing weight will cause muscle loss. And he gives a formula to figure out each persons protein requirements. Interesting interview.

    Glad you found your ring! I have something I put "away" three years ago, and now want. Naturally, I put it away so efficiently I can NOT find it... so frustrating!! And when it turns up, I just know it will be in some place I already looked ten times, and where I was sure it was NOT supposed to be!! :-\

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I too put things away in a safe place then forget where the safe place is!
    I hope you find everything that is still missing. So glad you found your precious ring.

    ReplyDelete