Tuesday, October 23, 2012

LEARNING TO USE SPARK PEOPLE

LIVING AT THE END OF A CUL DE SAC HAS IT'S BENEFITS.
LOVELY VIEWS FROM JILL'S HOUSE WHICH CANNOT BE OUT-BUILT

297 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 26.5 kg/58 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.

Nutritional Ketosis My Way

135 gm Fat (79%)
54 gm Protein (14%)
27gm Carbs (7%)
Daily Calorie Target 1280


THOUGHTS .....

This morning I downloaded the food calculator on Spark People. It wasn't too happy with some of my selections and I am definitely out of step with their nutritional recommendations but now I can see how my "normal" food choices stack up against their nutritional guidelines. I wanted to see how close my meals are to a nutritional ketogenic diet. I don't have a ketone monitor but I've been low carb off and on for years and using ketostix for urine analysis for long enough to have some indication of how my body responds.

I was pleased to see that I am very close to my target, or I was until I added in the three strawberries I picked and ate when I first got up. The ratio of fats, protein and carbohydrates follows.

Today's 331 calorie breakfast. 
Fats = 65%
Proteins = 22.6%
Carbohydrates = 12.4%. 
Lunch/snack  = 238 cal
Fats = 72.8%...................Day's total = 68.3%
Proteins = 25.5%..................................23.8%
Carbs = 1.7%......,..................................7.9%
Dinner = 267 cal
Fats = 30%............................................56%
Proteins = 53%......................................34%
Carbs = 17%..........................................11%
Snacks and Drinks = 304 cal
Fats = 64%..................................Final totals for today.....58%
Proteins = 9%................................ ...................................26%
Carbs = 27 %................................. ...................................16%
Total calories for day = 1144 which Spark People says is 134 cals too low.

It was a bit of a shock to discover that my carbohydrate target of less than 7% per meal involves making choices which are very close to Zero Carbs. I'm not sure whether I can sustain such a low carbohydrate level. I think my body will like me if I do but I will  miss some of my favourite foods. Three sundried tomatoes and three strawberries is close to twice my carb limit. Yikes!! I love vegetables so maybe for the 6 day free trial on Spark People I will find myself eating nothing except spinach. It will be interesting to see how this works out in practice. I can see lots of tweaking along the way and even the possibility of abandoning Nutritional Ketogenic Diet.

I am getting a little desperate to continue losing weight and I do have a good tolerance to fats and a poor tolerance of carbohydrates so it's worth doing a trial. I am also fed up with my skin problems which seem to be caused by candida yeasts. The best way to deal with this is dietary. My doctor doesn't get the problem so is unlikely to prescribe anything helpful. I know that anything that converts to  blood sugar is unhelpful so maybe Nutritional Ketosis, or in other words very low carbohydrates and moderate protein will make a difference.

The biggest problem with eating this way is when we are away from home. I will work that out as we go along. You can be sure that I will not be weighing, measuring and counting calories any more days than it takes me to understand serving sizes. I am allergic to living with this stuff filling my head. *haha, hehe*

REPORTING BACK .......

It has become clear that I'm eating way too much protein and not enough fat. Increasing my fats is going to be quite a challenge unless I learn to drink shots of olive oil or suck on teaspoons of coconut oil and I can't see that happening. Otherwise it's a fun kind of experiment.

HOW DID I DO? .......

I was getting tired by dinner time and could not be bothered making an effort to adjust the balance of nutrients. I am amazed by how much fat it takes to reach optimum levels. Not at all sure whether I will continue this for more than a few days.


Breakfast:- Two egg omelet cooked in 1 teaspoon coconut oil, with 3 sundried tomatoes in oil and grated cheddar cheese.

Lunch: Salami and cheddar cheese - 32.45 pm large snack!

Dinner:- Roast chicken with potato/kumera mash and cabbage/celery mix.

Snacks:- Three strawberries, 20 almonds, 2 rice crackers with coconut oil and pesto, mini bar of chocolate.

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 4
Black coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *?*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

September Total:- 17.5/60 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.


Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st September:- 87 kg/191.5 lbs
1st October:- 88 kg/193.5 lbs
Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:-

1 comment:

  1. SparkPeople "free trial" ? SparkPeople is free. Is there a different version in NZ?

    For the nutritional requirements, I changed the SP default numbers to the number ranges that I was aimng for. If you haven't already done that and want to, let me know if you need how-tos.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete