Saturday, October 27, 2012

LCHF EXPERIMENT CONTINUES

BUILD NEXT DOOR TO MUM'S CONTINUES
REPLACING THE WOBBLY RETAINING WALL

301 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

6/15 DAYS SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 26.5 kg/58 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.





1150 calories 
101 gm fat (79%)
46 gm protein (16%)
14.5 gm carbs (5%)



An experiment is underway. For an unspecified time I am endeavouring to follow the above guidelines. My greatest challenge is learning new serving sizes. It was easier today. It's very geeky doing all this measuring and calculating but it's amusing me right  now. I can see problems ahead when we eat out or are away from home. The idea is to feel at ease with this before we go away again.

THOUGHTS ........

Jimmy Moore, Livin La Vida, has posted an interesting, to me, article on CarbSmart about twelve of his favourite high fat foods.

Here is an excerpt.


"12. Liquid fish oil – 100% fat
And finally, I couldn’t talk about healthy fats without telling you about fish oil. While you won’t be adding this to your food, it is an important supplement to your diet, and will increase your blood ketones dramatically. I take two tablespoons of Carlson’s lemon-flavored liquid cod liver oil daily to infuse my body with healthy omega-3 fats as part of my heart-healthy regimen. There are fish oil capsules and tablets available at drug stores, but many of these tend to be rancid, and therefore counterproductive. That’s why I prefer the liquid fish oil. In case you’re worried about the “fishy” taste of this stuff in your mouth, it’s actually a delightfully pleasant “lemony” taste. I couldn’t imagine going through my day without taking my liquid fish oil, and the resulting blood ketone levels make it worth it!"


I can see how taking this oil would be beneficial especially to my skin and recovery from Bells Palsy but right now the idea of swallowing oil neat makes me shudder. I grew up in the generation of people who were fed cod-liver oil. We took it in a proprietary brand called Lanes Emulsion*. I remember liking it as a child but when I thought I'd try it out when my own children were young I gaggged. I wonder if there is something bearable and equivalent tastiness to Jimmy Moore's favourite oil here in New Zealand.

I can't believe I'm even considering this but I looked up cod liver oil on line and found this one available in NZ
Nordic Naturals Arctic D Cod liver Oil Lemon Liquid 237ml
Regular Price: NZD $54.90
Our Price: NZD $43.90



I also found a possible supplier of Carlsons. If you take 2 tablespoons per day, is that 30 ml? I would find that rather expensive as I would need to buy a bottle every week. I have been thinking about a good oil supplement for a while as I know it could be beneficial to promoting nerve healing in regard to the Bells Palsy. So I'm not discounting the possibility of trying this out. I do supplement with Kril oil capsules but this might be another tool towards improving my health. I really am getting weird!!!!!!

Today I'm trying to build my fat % by having cream in my coffee. It was palatable without sugar but I still prefer my coffee black. Edit .... I never once wanted food after my morning coffee and cream. See Brunch notes.

REPORTING BACK .......


Today's 506 calorie brunch
Fats = 79.9%
Proteins = 17.8%
Carbohydrates = 2.3%. 

I still have 609 cals left for today.

After Dinner = 812 cal
Fats = 73.4%
Proteins = 21.3%
Carbs = 5.3%
After Snacks and Drinks = 1012 cal
Fats = 75.8%
Proteins = 18.7%
Carbs = 5.5%

Total calories for day = 1012 I'm short by 68 calories and balancing the fat and carbs is again out. I haven't had one moment of hunger. I nearly skipped dinner but again I don't want to skip meals until I feel reasonably secure I understand serving sizes.



HOW DID I DO? .......

I am amazed by by lack of hunger. I'll definitely have cream in my coffee again tomorrow.

We also went for a walk this afternoon so a more active day than I usually have.


Brunch:- Omelet as yesterday except I forgot the cherry tomato
NB cream in my morning coffee meant I have been fully satisfied and not really hungry at midday but decided to eat in the interest of this experiment to keep my nutrients balanced.

Dinner:- 1 Lamb loin chop, celery, carrot, cherry tomato, 1/4 avocado, 1 teaspoon butter

Snacks:- Coffee with 30 ml cream. Pork crackling. 10 almonds

Drinks:- Water x 1
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 4
Black Coffee x 1
Cream coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

35 minutes cross-trainer = 8 km

20 minutes walk

September Total:- 33.5/60 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.


Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st September:- 87 kg/191.5 lbs
1st October:- 88 kg/193.5 lbs
Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:-

*

Lane's Emulsion

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lane's Emulsion was a patent medicine manufactured in New Zealand.
The emulsion, which had a strong fishy smell owing to its high cod liver oil content, was invented by Edward Lane,[1] a chemist from Oamaru, in 1898, and was later manufactured in the town's Harbour Street (now part of the Oamaru Historic Precinct) in a building which still bears the product's slogan "It's famous because it's good". The original recipe contained cod liver oil, beechwood creosote, mineral lime, soda, brandy, vitamins, fresh egg yolk and some secret ingredients.[2]
Sold in clear glass bottles, the thick cream-coloured liquid was fed to generations of New Zealand children and was also sold overseas. Originally claiming to be "a reliable remedy for pulmonary ailments", the product was still in production until the early 1980s. Oamaru company Crombie and Price, which bought Lane's Medicine in 1971, still holds the rights and recipe to the product.

3 comments:

  1. !! Okay, I'm sitting here, shaking my head at myself, having an "oh, duh!" moment. After reading your first paragraph, it dawned on me why I'm struggling right now. My biggest struggle has always been portion sizes. Then, I go and try to do this higher fat, moderate protein, very low carb version. And it just didn't occur to me why it's so much harder... but reading your post made it obvious! If I am switching to the higher fat version, naturally the portion sizes will seem smaller--and NEED to be smaller, since fat is calorically higher by volume. Don't know if I explained that well... but I get it! :-D

    Thanks for sharing all your experiences and discoveries all the way. It's been very helpful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Lanes Emulsion well. I too remember trying to give it to my kids AND the resulting gagging LOL Gave up on that one fast !!!
    A few years ago I tried the lemon flavoured oil but I never even finished to bottle!!! I just couldn't do it. Maybe they have improved so I might give it another go. Flaxseed oil was the same:(
    Enjoy your Sunday....it's wet and miserable down this end of the Island.

    ReplyDelete