Sunday, October 28, 2012

I LOVE FAT, DIETARY FAT THAT IS!

BOATS OF ALL KINDS
CAN YOU SEE THE SAND BOAT?

302 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

7/15 DAYS SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 26.5 kg/58 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.


1150 calories 
101 gm fat (79%)
46 gm protein (16%)
14.5 gm carbs (5%)


THOUGHTS .......

I really appreciate that Deb and Lorretta have checked out my "new" eating plan. It's helping me to keep my feet on the ground.

The good news is that I no longer need to be concerned about constipation which was always an issue when I went low carb and more so since I cut out wheat. That's a relief. *smile*

The bad news is I can't always eat all my calories in a day even though I chose the fairly low number of 1150.  That might be good news but only time will tell.

I don't want to go below 75% fats. I believe that the right fats, especially omega-3s will improve my skin. It might take 6 months to prove me right or wrong.

Cream in my morning coffee rocks. I really did not think I would enjoy this. It reminds of of when I first became a coffee drinker back in my youth. I was barely 20 years old and out on my own in the big city of New Plymouth. I had gained a position in the Radiography Department at the hospital where I was training to be a radiotherapy technician. My weekly treat was to go into the middle of Devon Street to the new and sophisticated coffee shop for lunch. I had an asparagus roll, a pink lamington and coffee with whipped cream. The whipped cream sat like a froth on top of the coffee and gave it an exotic and luxurious touch. Coffee shops were becoming the smart place to go replacing Tearooms. This was way back in 1959 and I guess my coffee with whipped cream was the forerunner of cappuccinos.

It seems slightly strange after all these years of low fat messages to be deliberately adding fat to my diet. I listened to a Jimmy Moore podcast this morning and, (I hope I got this right), his advice is to begin by increasing your fats and lowering your protein by 5% ,if you think your low carb diet needs changing. Nobody has to go radical all at once, as I have done, because we all have different levels of tolerance. I guess my own experience over time suggested that I could do this all in one hit. Now all I need to do is get the ratios and portions right.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for people who have grown up with "Fat is Bad."  At least I had the knowledge of my grandparents and my own childhood and youth to convince me that fat is not as evil as the food gurus make out. Even so I've come a long way in the last few years. It's like turning my food world upside down. The funny thing is that upside down works. I had more physical energy yesterday than for quite a while. The scales are hinting I have lost more weight after months of struggling to get consistent weight loss again.

Prodding my belly no longer hurts ... well not as much as it used to. There are still a couple of tender spots but they seem to be healing by the day. One significant spot is at the base of my sternum and I relate that specifically to the top of my stomach. If this spot is less painful to being poked then the inflammation I have lived with for as long as I can remember is subsiding. I remember wanting to yell at the doctor and run for my life the first time I had my abdomen palpated. Of course I did neither of those things. I was stoical and bravely controlled my face. I never let on how painful it was. I was amazed when after 6 months of the low carb lifestyle the painful pressure points ceased to exist. That was about 5 years ago. Since then I have vacillated between low carb and eat-anything until this year. The tender spots returned and needless to say I'm relieved they are healing again.

When I was eating too much bread slathered with butter the area over my liver was tender and swollen. That went away after a month or two without wheat. I am keeping watch because it would be a shame to end up with an inflamed liver from eating too much fat. I was only 21 years old when my gall bladder was removed. We think it might be a genetic weakness as I'm not the only one who had this operation at about the same age. I understand that with no gall bladder the body may not metabolise fats properly but I don't seem to have any problems. In fact my health improved dramatically after the operation and I have never had any of the unpleasant symptoms some people seem to have following a cholecystectomy. I rarely even think about it but as I continue with this experiment I am aware of the need to stay alert for changes.

REPORTING BACK .......


Today's 338 calorie breakfast. 
Fats = 78.4%
Proteins = 12%
Carbohydrates = 9.7%. 
After Lunch/snack  = 562 cal
Fats = 76.6%
Proteins = 16.6%
Carbs = 6.8%
After Snacks and Drinks = 1150 cal
Fats = 72.6%
Proteins = 16.1%
Carbs = 11.3%

HOW DID I DO? .......

Calories on target. Carbs a little higher than I like. I made myself get on the cross-trainer mid-afternoon. Not a good time as I had been struggling with sleepiness.

Spent far too much time working out a balanced nutrition plan and now I cannot find it. I guess I deleted it but now I'm more confident about what I'm doing. I will make some changes nwxt Sunday if I remember.

Brunch:- Mushrooms, onion and bacon with butter.

Lunch/Dinner: Lamb chp, avocado, cherry tomato

Snacks:- Chicjen broth. Almonds

Drinks:- Water x 1
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 4
 Coffee  and cream x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

29 minutes cross-trainer = 6 km

September Total:- 39.5/60 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.


Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st September:- 87 kg/191.5 lbs
1st October:- 88 kg/193.5 lbs
Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:-

3 comments:

  1. Hey, MargieAnne. It's funny. I have also always found that whole stomach poking to be painful. And I had my gallbladder out the month before I turned 21. Not that I think those two tings are related, just both in this one post. :)

    Why I had my GB out at that age seems to be related to weight loss. :) go figurre. It's been so long ago, that I no longer remember the details, but something about weight loss and the development of gall stones. I bet the details could be found on line.

    Oh. And the fat/poop connection. Chuckle. I was thinking just the other day about how nice it was that the increase in fat intake was getting things moving.

    A breakfast of greasy eggs and sausage sends me racing to the bathroom about a half an hour later. (In fact, I'm sitting here at the computer immediately after breakfast and there's a whole lot of rumbling going on that tells me I'll me constipation won't be a problem today, either.)

    While I could do without the urgency,and have to be careful of my meals if going out, it is nice to not be constipated. I that the absent gallbladder is the reason the fat is having that effect.

    Your posts are piggybacking on my current reading.

    I just read last night about the glycogen that we store in our liver. And that our liver is above our waist. And that when we go low carb, we lose our glycogen stores...which reduces the size of our livers, leaving our stomachs feeling a little flatter and much less bloated.

    I wonder if that liver-stored glycogen is related to our stomach tenderness. I'm thinking it is.

    I sure did relate to this post, didn't I? :} (And i still think you need to eat more protein, but I'll not mention it. snicker)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my gallbladder removed about 10 years ago... and often have trouble with the dreaded 'rush to the loo' after eating... as the food does not get digested the same when there is too much bile from bile ducts rushing into the stomach.
    You are doing well with your 'education' on what suits YOU in relation to diet.

    ReplyDelete