Wednesday, October 24, 2012

CONTINUING TO LEARN A NEW TO ME VERSION OF LOW CARB HIGH FAT DIET

NEW SEASON MAPLE LEAVES

299 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 26.5 kg/58 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.

THOUGHTS .......

I want to thank Deb for your comment on yesterday's post. I went back into the Spark People Diet Tracker and adjusted my goals. I am aiming for 1050 calories since this feels more comfortable .... I think. Not sure why I have a "Free Trial" to test for 6 days but when it ends I'll use the free one.

I've set my goals thus Fats = 80%
Proteins = 14%
Carbs = 6%

I know this looks unbalanced but I am experimenting with LCHF and very moderate protein because eating too much protein can stall weight loss. Excess protein is converted to blood sugars triggering insulin production which is to be avoided for weight loss. My biggest challenge is to keep the fats high. I have no idea how people manage this. Eating this way is supposed to stimulate your body to become a better fat burner. At this stage I'm not doing much in the way of regular exercise. If this eating plan works the way it should I'll be longing to get moving as I get into it and blood ketones increase.

I decided to begin the day with higher than normal fats. Well that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. I've read somewhere about Fat Bombs. Hmmm! Do I want to be that radical? I enjoy natural fat in foods but adding fat goes against the grain in more ways than one.

Breakfast was close to goal. I need to aim for something similar at lunch if I'm hungry. Perhaps an herb omelet drizzled with lots of olive oil. I never thought I would consider eating like this. I tend to watch quite a few cooking shows and I would shudder as Jamie Oliver and other chefs talked about a drizzle olive oil over a dish to finish it off and then proceed to pour on what looked like a bucketful. Recently I found that this was not disgusting to my taste. I use an organic extra virgin from the SuperMarket. It's not the best or most expensive brand but it does. One day when my budget feels generous I'll go looking for a tasty boutique producer of olive oil. I remember years ago being served a small basket of artisan bread with the most delicious oil for dipping. I was right out of my comfort zone but the memory prepared me for this current trial.

I hope this trial bears good results for both my weight and skin.

Our Rotorua son phoned for a chat this morning. He is learning to be wheat free but has found he smokes more. Reading the book Wheat Belly is helping him to understand the brain/chemical aspect of addiction. What impressed me most was that his decision is based on the fact that both John and I have lost weight and look good ... ie. better than before. Greg has a determined spirit so I have high hopes for his success although the antidepressant he is on could make it more difficult to lose weight. My hope is that he will persist long enough to be able trial going off his ant-depressant medication. He has a lot of medical support but going wheat free will stay under the radar until he has made a significant difference to his weight. His advisors want him to do WW but it was too complicated for him. He doesn't want to be counting points all the time. I believe he might be eligible for some kind of financial support to attend a gym. If this is so I will encourage him when the time seems right.

I am thanking God for this breakthrough in Greg's life.

REPORTING BACK .......


Today's 362 calorie breakfast. 
Fats = 78.3%
Proteins = 14.2%
Carbohydrates = 7.5%. 
After Lunch/snack  =  556 cal
Fats = 78.8%
Proteins = 15.9%
Carbs = 5.3%
After Dinner = 934 cal
Fats = 81%
Proteins = 14%
Carbs = 5%
After Snacks and Drinks = 1044 cal
Fats = 80.2%
Proteins = 14%
Carbs = 5.8%
Total calories for day = 5 under target, That means I'm on the button today but it wasn't without some weirdness.

I've been incredibly lazy. In fact I feel as though it's been a wasted day. I thought a lot about getting out one of my mosaic projects and then I couldn't find it. Is it here at home, but tidied away too well. Or did I take it to Christchurch to work on with our daughter-in-law? I can't find a couple of pieces of jewellery either. I almost certain I left them in Christchurch but it's unsettling. I also left some clothes in the hotel wardrobe in Rotorua. I remembered them in the middle of the night before we packed and departed and not again until the following day. I phoned the hotel and was advised to send a self addressed courier bag which was delivered today. I've always been a bit scatter brained and John makes the most of being able to let me know he is smarter than me. He's not but I'll leave him with his assumptions.

I was surprised to feel a little wobbly for a few minutes this afternoon. It felt as though my blood sugar had dropped too low but otherwise I feel fine and will give this another go tomorrow.

HOW DID I DO? .......

Struggling to keep the balance between protein and fats. I had to reduce my serving of chicken by half to achieve today's percentages.

I'm very pleased that I hit my target ratio of macro-nutrients and stayed within my selected calorie limit.  I did feel a little hungry at times but it was soon out of mind. I remain undecided about how long I can eat this way and how long I will need to measure and track to stay within guidelines.


Breakfast:- Bubble and squeak with bacon and egg

Lunch: 2 egg herb omelet cooked in coconut oil and dressed with olive oil. Very tasty and I hope satisfying.

Dinner:- Stirfry in butter of chicken, celery and cauliflower flavoured with Tuscan seasoning served with a generous drizzle of olive oil and lots of freshly ground pepper.

Snacks:- Almonds

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 5 or maybe 6
Black coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

September Total:- 17.5/60 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.


Weigh In approximately 7.30 am

1st September:- 87 kg/191.5 lbs
1st October:- 88 kg/193.5 lbs
Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:- 1 kg/2 lbs
October:-

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with this! I don't think I could do it. I try to keep protein to a normal amount, keep carbs to an absolute minimum and freely add fat to everything! I'll watch with interest though how you go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MargieAnne, IMHO---> You need to increase your protein! I uhnderstand the whole protein to glucose ting, but you need a certain amount of protein to avoid muscle wasting AND you do need some glucose for your body to run properly. Better to get that glucose from protein, which also supplies your muscles, than from carbs.

    Your protein percentage might be okay if your calories were higher, but 14% of 1050 calories is just too low. That would be LESS THAN 40 grams of protein a day. too little. Much too little. You need to get at least 60 grams of protein a day. That's about 10 ounces. Most would say that is still too low. My advice is to up your calories to 1200, with the additional 150 calories as protein since you probably don't want to decrease your carbs any lower. (Although you could swap some carbs out for the protein if the increase in calories troubles you. As you know, both carbs and protein each have 4 calories per gram and you don't really need the carbs since the protein will give your body sufficient glucose.) Choose fatty protein sources, rather than chicken, to help with your fat ratio.

    Again, just my two cents worth--which I hesitate to give since my success rate is so poor. It's not the plan that's the problem, tho, it's my follow-thru. I've mitigated my angst over the not DOING by spending my time researching macro-nutrients. :) Working on the DO. sigh.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Deb. I'll tweak it again today and see how it feels. I forget that I could be slipping under the minimum optimum proteins. I was so busy getting the ratio where I wanted. I'm thinking of dropping fats back to say 75%. Clearly I don't have enough to do since I'm spending so much time fiddling around with food.

      Blessings

      Delete
    2. Hahah. I know exactly what you mean! Working those percentages and then translating them into ounces and grams is totally absorbing. I made myself totally nuts trying to figure out just how much protein I should have. The carbs and fat were easy in comparison to protein.

      I do love the way SparkPeople breaks it all down for us, tho. It doesn't feel like I'm counting calories. I just log in my food and let SP go to work crunching the numbers.

      I finally went back to a calculator I had looked at earlier. When I first saw it, i wasn't sure about it, but after obsessing and researching, it looked like a good place to start for me. I tweaked it a bit, but used it as a guideline to create a range for the SP nutritional goals.

      One source I used, is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. He recommends 30 gr. of carbohydrate a day or less, about 12 ounces of protein (more if you can eat it and not gain weight), and as much fat as you want--as long as you restrict eating to three meals a day w/ no snacks. 12 ounces of protein is about 72 grams. The link I was talking about has similar protein goals.

      Just to give you even more things to use up your time, here's that calculator link.

      http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

      Deb

      Delete