Friday, September 7, 2012

CHOOSE TO BE THE VICTOR, NOT THE VICTIM

OUR DECK GARDEN GROWS

GARLIC, CAULIFLOWER, FREESIAS, GAZANIAS, DIANTHUS, HOROZONTAL ROSEMARY, SHELLS, PARSLEY, KALE, STRAWBERRIES, VARIEGATED PITTOSPORUM,TO BE PLANTED, AND OUT OF CAMERA, ONION, OTHER HERBS, LETTUCE, MORE CAULIFLOWER, CYCLAMEN, AND IN THE SEED TRAYS SWEET PEAS AND SWAN PLANT, THE LATTER FOR  MONARCH BUTTERFLIES.
We are gardening up a storm. Not really but this is the most planting I've dared to do in years. We also have pots of broccoli, red cabbage, snowpeas, silverbeet, rhubarb, passionfruit and other herbs along the fence. There are my two small native plant gardens, one has been 'enhanced' with feijoa and olive trees, and my birdbath garden with flowers. It all sounds very extensive and grand. The truth is that while we have a nearly perfect climate we have useless soil. In about 5 years time, if I keep working at it, we might have fertile soil of good texture.

In the absence of a shade house one of our bedrooms has become a plant nursery. I have a row of seed trays with Lebanese cucumber, 2 varieties of courgette, 3 varieties of peppers and 6 varieties of heritage tomatoes. Today I will sow some carrot, red beet radish, mesculin and two varieties of lettuce seeds, all outside in tubs. I have a passion for sowing seed and potting or planting them out as and when appropriate. I get that far but they do not always yield the desired harvest. It's still fun.

Once we decided not to sell this house and instead make it our permanent home, I wanted to grow a garden. I thought we would manage better now that I am not exhausted 90% of the time. I did not factor in being away for 2 weeks this month at a critical time for nurturing the seeds and baby plants. I did not consider that we could be away during the main harvest season. Our plan is to have the Old Purple Bus on the road and in the South Island semi-permanently from mid-January to May. It is more than likely we will fly backwards and forwards and just use the bus for accommodation rather than live in it permanently. In our lives, next year is too far off for detailed planning.

250 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

1/15 DAYS SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 27 kg/59.5 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.


THOUGHTS .......

Defeat is a state of Mind. No one will be Defeated unless the Loss is Accepted as Reality. Bruce Lee.

Let's get this right from the start. I'm not a fan of Bruce Lee. But this quote from him and the whole message on Coach Your Mind is too important for me to pass by.


REPORTING BACK .......

I enjoyed pottering around sowing seeds this afternoon.

I think I messed up by fasting on Tuesday. It was not a good idea. I don't feel quite right. I am tired, feel oddly stressed and have signs of lacking in Vitamin B. I have taken extra. I am also adjusting to a slightly altered medication. I guess it will take a few days to get my body used to the change.

HOW DID I DO? .......

I enjoyed today and sowing seed felt productive. Food OK. No planned exercise.

Breakfast:- A bowl of Casserole

Lunch: About 10 Rice crackers with sundried tomato pesto.


Dinner:- Bowl of Casserole


Snacks:- Almonds, dried apricot


Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 5
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

September Total:- 4.5/60 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.

Weigh In 7.30 am

1st August:- 91 kg/200 lbs
1st September:- 87 kg/191.5 lbs
Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:-

2 comments:

  1. I am starting to get excited about having a small garden, it is going to be pots on the deck we can't use cause it is getting to rotten.... So far I am planning on tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries and not sure what else, would like about 7 - 8 pots of things, 2 being tamotes and strawberries, one of lettuce and not sure about the other 2 or 3 and if that works well, will plan some more for next year. In fact we are going to go pot hunting this weekend and hope to get some started ready for planting n a few weeks when the frosts have gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics. About the quote--reality, denial and motivation are funny things. Sometimes hard to tell one from the other.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete