Tuesday, September 11, 2012

ABOUT OUR OLD PURPLE BUS

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A GOOD SLEEP MAKES

BESIDE THE CLYDE DAM
AUTUMN 2007

255 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

1/15 DAYS SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 27 kg/59.5 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.


THOUGHTS .......

A new day and a good sleep does wonders. I feel like a new person. Peace and joy are restored.

I began my day with watching this video. What a blessing Catch The Fire has been in my life. I am so excited to be able to watch on YouTube. Carol Arnott is a Christian hero and one of my favourite people. I tried to set my phone to vibrate every 15 minutes but it only has ring tones on the alarm. I am going to order a worship timer. I've been thinking about it a lot since I first heard of the idea about a year ago. It's a cool gadget and could be used as a reminder to get up and move too. In fact that's probably the original intention for it's use since it's called a GymBoss.

When I first discovered videos of their meetings back around 1998 John and I were living in separate towns. I would often watch through the long nights. It was something I missed once he retired. Since then changes to their website and changes to our life have meant it is not always quite as convenient to watch videos. Now all I need is a land-line and almost unlimited broadband internet and I can watch to my heart's content. My current wireless is limited and last month I exceeded my limit by $100. Not a fun bill to get.

I've been doing the maths. Now that we have decided to make this house our permanent home it is worth the cost of getting a land-line put on. We decided against it in the first place because of the cost. Telecom NZ have a monopoly on lines and charge nearly $700 to set up a new account in rural areas. It's day-light robbery. We believe we can now justify the cost and will organise it when we return from Christchurch. Sometimes I still have doubts about it because we do expect to be away from home a lot over the coming 6 years but we will be here at least 50% of the time so that just about makes it economical sense. My main reason is that I will have access to at least 30GB of internet. That means I can watch videos on line without fear of going over our plan. It also means John can have ready access to the internet. On our current plan he doesn't get a look in.

The Old Purple Bus



The Old Purple Bus has languished in our back yard, (or front yard depending on your perspective), for several years now. I cannot remember when we last took it on the road. Possibly 5 years ago. I know we had it down south for 6 months in 2007. John has done the brake repair but they have not yet been tested. Our weather has not been conducive to working outside. He has to lie on the grass to do the next stage and our lawn is very wet. The weather will eventually co-operate and the job will be completed. The next step is to drive the bus to Thames where all the mechanical stuff will be thoroughly checked and any repairs made and the old bus will once again be certified road worthy.

A few months ago we sat in it contemplating what to do with it. Our choices are limited. We can call the wrecker and get whatever he is prepared to pay which is likely nothing. We can list it for sale on TradeMe but because it's not drivable and we are in such an out-of-the-way place I doubt if we'd get any offers. We can keep it as a spare room and titivate the garden around it until it looks decent. Or we can get it up to scratch and get it back on the road.

We looked at each other and asked the questions. There is absolute agreement. We are not ready to give up on our dream of travelling in it yet. It is very comfortable inside although it needs a few upgrades, especially around the driver and passenger seats in the front. The bathroom could be improved. The electrics need attention. It may need re-wiring. Other than those things it is set up to suit us for full-time living and we find it very comfortable.

The outside is another story. It has been sadly neglected. The paintwork has had it's day. It needs a new grill in the front. We should do something about hub covers. That's all cosmetic stuff. But it's important  to feel proud of your wheels and more so when they are your home too. Mechanically we think it's probably in pretty good shape once the brake issues are sorted out. It has a fairly new diesel engine and as far as we know the chassis is sound. I would like to change the back door, originally the emergency exit and also replace most of the windows and the sky lights. That can be costly but well worth it. I reckon $10,000 will change the old bus from something that's worthless to something we can be proud of.

The old bus is a 1968 Austin which was originally used as a school bus, we think. The body was build by a coach builder in Oamaru. The grandson of the man who built it now builds sports cars at the same address. It's not the prettiest of shapes but we like it's history and think it's well worth restoring for our own use. It is certainly cheaper to restore this bus than go out and buy another motor home.

It's simply a matter of time, money and motivation. I get cross because John and I have different priorities. John could have had the painting done any time in the last few years but he's been full of excuses. The painting will now be a fairly expensive professional job. It would serve John right if I get a real Hippy design on the paint job. Nothing is going to happen until I take control of the process. I will leave the mechanics to John but I handle the budget. In essence we are waiting to sell Mum's house before we can do anything much.

In the meantime the poor Old Purple Bus sits forlornly in our back yard, which John calls the front yard because it is the road side of the house.

REPORTING BACK .......

My first attempt at a collage of photos is a bit feeble. I may edit this and improve it sometime. Most of my pre-trip laundry is done and ready to sort for packing. I think we will need all our warm clothes. There have been fresh snowfalls in many places and Christchurch is freezing, I have a book to finish reading before it goes back to the library tomorrow.

HOW DID I DO? .......

Ok except the frittata went wrong and I didn't like it although John said he does. I guess it doesn't matter if he likes it and I don't. I was trying to empty the fridge of perishable food.

Breakfast:- Mushroom omelet

Lunch: Almond pancakes with red capsicum pesto

Dinner:- Egg bake

Snacks:- Almonds, dried apricots, finished of the Lindt chilli  chocolate

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 4
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

September Total:- 4.5/60 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85
17th July 2012, 137/75
3rd September 2012, 125/75 ... Meds changed. Accuretic becomes Accupril.

Weigh In 7.30 am

1st August:- 91 kg/200 lbs
1st September:- 87 kg/191.5 lbs
Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- 1 kg/2 lbs
August:- 4 kg/8.5 lbs
September:-

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read you are feeling better today. It's hard when our friends disappoint us. But you were right to remember we are all flawed. It sure takes a lot of love, acceptance and forgiveness to maintain friendships. Especially in the church, I sometimes think! Because we expect worldly behavior from the world. But we tend to expect more from people we think should know better.

    Anyway, I'm sorry you were not supported in your efforts to get healthy. Regardless of whether or not we are doing it exactly the same, we need to be supportive of others efforts. And I think you are doing wonderful!

    Traveling around in your Old Purple Bus sounds like it will be quite the adventure. I hope you will still have internet access then, so you can post photos of your travels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are keeping the bus..... and bugger about the internet - Telecom sure know how to make money :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking back for any new posts you may have written.
    I’ve been a follower on your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete