Wednesday, August 29, 2012

SHOPPING FOR GROCERIES AND OTHER THINGS

A CORNER OF MUM'S GARDEN
I ADORE THE DELICATE LEAVES OF MAIDEN-HAIR FERN 

242 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE

7/31 DAYS SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/51 lbs


Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.

THOUGHTS .......

Our cupboards are bare, not so much the pantry but I haven't seen the fridge so empty in a very long time. We have run out of eggs and bacon. I had to get creative for breakfast and the weird thing is it felt normal.

I made a salad with the last of an iceberg heart, avocado, tomato, onion, finely chopped garlic, grated carrot and balsamic dressing with an extra spoon of olive oil. I can hardly believe I ate this and it felt like a perfectly normal breakfast. What happened to the days of cereal and milk? They were a long time ago.

I'm chosing my food more thoughtfully than usual for the next few days because I want to have a good weigh in on September 1st. I had my July gain to wipe out and need to catch up some ground for the slack winter months.

Hurray It really is spring here.

As I lay in bed this morning I was pondering my wardrobe. I do not have a great deal of storage space and I do not wear a lot of different outfits. I have definitely lost enough weight now that there are a few clothes I will never wear again even if I particularly like them. I'm going to start boxing those clothes this week. I might wait until I reach a nice round number to dispose of them. I'm thinking about 80 kg, that means losing another 6 or 7 kg, and should be a done deal by the end of October, In the meantime I can do a wardrobe check and prepare myself for a mini buying spree for the late spring/summer fashion. Disposing of those big clothes will be a kind of celebration. I might tie bells and balloons to the boxes. *haha*

I don't have a lot of storage so a clean out is a good idea. I spent about 15 minutes looking for my black socks this morning. There should be 2 or 3 pair. I found one sock and about 1o minutes later John found the other. I like my drawers to be tidy and organised in a certain order. I cannot remember ever being in such a shambles as I am now. Part of it is due to the coming and going we have been doing ever since we came to live here. Time to sort and organise.

I am getting there. Little by little, precept upon precept. At the moment I am thinking I wouldn't miss this process for anything. It's a truly joyful experience when you begin to see changes that were almost beyond your dreams. And all because I decided to give up wheat forever. It's amazing how my mind and body have responded.

I have a couple of tiny secrets but I'll share them here. I want to write a book about this experience with a focus on my age. Do you know there is very little around to give hope to the over 60s, let alone the over 70s? I want to shout from the roof tops that staying fat is not necessary at any age. I want to .... no I won't go there just yet but why not use TV and popular magazines.

I'd like to lead a support group, mentor others maybe. I never thought I would have the energy to do these things because I have had so little energy for years. Now I'm thinking anything is possible.

How could going Dairy Free for only 4 days so far, Today is the 5th, boost my confidence so much?

My eyesight is quite blurry today. I have not driven the car since late January.


REPORTING BACK .......

I'm tired now but it's been a very good day. I'm feeling better than for weeks. Is it a coincidence or is it being dairy free? Time will tell. We went into town about 10.30 am. That meant we had lunch out. Sometimes it gets a bit expensive. John was able to have his favourite pumpkin and feta frittata. I realised I would have to take more care with my choice ... no dairy for me. They had omelets on the blackboard menu and I asked to have mine dairy free. The cook came over and discussed it with me. She filled the omelet with ham, tomato and spring onions and used water instead of cream in the omelet which is what I always do anyway. I love the confidence I have developed in requesting food according to my preferences.

HOW DID I DO? .......

A truly good day. Out of curiosity I tested for ketones this afternoon. I thought I might show a very pale pink if I was lucky. Yay! deep pink. I hardly ever went into deep pink, even when I was counting carbs so this encourages me to hope for reasonable weight loss this week.

Breakfast:- Chicken salad with extra Olive oil.

Lunch: 3 egg omelet with tomato, ham and spring onions. Black coffee.

Dinner:- Steak with Moroccan spice rub, roasted yams with a touch of honey and grated fresh ginger, silver beet, (chard).

Snacks:- None


Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured Tea Infusions x 4
Black coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5lt or 5 - 6 cups large *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

August Total:- 21.5/75 km

BP:- 11th May 2012, 147/75
23rd May 2012, 135/75
15th June 2012, 135/85

Weigh In 7.30 am

1st July:- 90 kg/198 lbs
3rd August:- 91 kg/200 lbs
Start Weight:- 114 kg/251 lbs

2012 Weight Loss History
January:- 10.5 kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/6 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July:- + 1 kg/2 lbs
August:-

DAFFODILS ARE COMING OUT







10 comments:

  1. Wow to going diary free and for the cook coming over and making the food for you! I love that people of any age can do this but admit that you two are a shining example. I know Jenny (P/North) and her husband have succeeded as well but I don't think many older people would be able to make this change. Wheat is so much a part of people's lives that it takes something extraordinary to make people change.

    For me it was diabetes (well the threat of it) and for Stu, the threat of heart disease.

    Well done on the continuing weight loss as well. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. OK, so is it Jenny Foxton? Levin? I'm sorry Jenny... I can't remember where you live. Oh dear... anyway Jenny is also doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful positive post. A real credit to your journey and now giving up dairy. This is something I have thought about too but things are a bit harder at the moment with a few things going on. Hopefully I will get time to do a post tomorrow to update everyone.

      Delete
  3. Wow you sound like a totally different woman!! So excited for you!! And yes!!! You should write that book. What a wonderful thing to share your journey with others. Think of the lives that will change!!!! So awesome!! I believe in you!!

    Keep focused!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post.. and the book sounds like an awesome goal. Love hearing the positiveness in this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post MargieAnne. I never thought about testing for ketosis. You could never buy the sticks before - are they available at the chemist now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi! And thanks for reading my Blog I really appreciate that I have readers. When I began woth a fresh start this year I decided it was just for me and any interest from others was a good spin-off. I find I am writing for others as well now and love doing so.

      I though I'd pop in here and tell you about getting ketostix. I have given up on the chemist shops. I hadn't used ketostix in a while and had to order and they got in very expensive, separately wrapped in foil, just a few to a box. For goodness sake! Now I get mine on line from here. http://www.healthy.co.nz/product/712-ketostix.html They arrive so quickly I hardly have time to turn around. I don't test every day. There is now a question about the accuracy of the urine test but it seems like a good enough guide for me.

      The crazy, (that's nice crazy), Americans are using something like a glucometer and very expensive test strips. Doing a blood test is best but not for me. There's a bit about this on Jimmy Moore's Blog. Here is the link to his current self experiment using the gadget.

      http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-n1-experiments-nutritional-ketosis-day-1-30/14409

      Blessings

      Delete
  6. Being 61, I find it encouraging to read about your progress, and see what you try, learn, adjust, etc. So I think there IS a place for your kind of book. Most of the "success" stories are from younger people, and usually they are strong and healthy, too.
    So... be sure to have lots of progress pics along the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete