Tuesday, August 21, 2012

MY MOST MISERABLE CHRISTMAS


FAMILY PHOTO ON MY MOTHER'S PARENTS TENNIS LAWN 1952

COME A LITTLE CLOSER


233 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

7/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.

Funny how some memories never fade no matter how much you wish them away.

I loved going to my maternal grandparents home for Christmas. This was possibly the last time we did so. My parents decided that the family group was becoming too large and it was time for them to do things differently. What a pity it was marred by my embarrassment and distress.

Sixty years later I can laugh about my first perm. It was meant to be a special holiday gift, very sophisticated for a naive 13 year old, small town girl. The hairdresser's salon smelled of weird chemicals like ammonia and had racks of steel butterfly clips on heated bars. I had dead straight hair. My mother dreamed of little girls with curls. She didn't get them naturally. I remember  the routine on hair wash days. Mum would comb out our hair and divide it into skinny steel rollers, pulling my hair tight against my scalp. Oh the pain of beauty. *laughing* 

As I look at that dreadful hair I wonder why no-one cut it all off. Surely it would have looked better very short. 

I do remember trying very hard to avoid the family photo. Two of my younger aunts, they were in their mid-twenties, managed to talk me around. I have no idea what they said that was so successful. It had to be good. You can see that all was not well from the concerned looks from my father and another aunt standing beside me.

I had looked forward to Christmas. I was beginning to fit in with the adults rather than among the children. Mum had sent me shopping on my own to choose my dress. It was a very grown-up thing to do. Mum had arranged for me to put it on a charge account so she could pay for later. That was extraordinary trust in those days, not the money side but to be allowed to choose my own clothes without oversight.. I loved the dress but not the hair. My special Christmas turned into a farce. The rest of the summer is a blur. I cannot remember how I fared with that dreadful hair which was so frizzed I couldn't get a brush through. 

This was the first of many perms but I think the last using that horrendous old fashioned method. When home perms became available in New Zealand Mum did my sister's hair and mine. I chose to have professionally done perms once I was earning. A strange thing happened after my babies were born. The perm fell right out of my hair after the first wash. After our second child was born I decided it wasn't worth the bother and let my hair go straight with occasional perms, maybe 6 months apart, maybe centred around special occasions.
I'm not sure when I gave up perms altogether but I'm glad I did. It took some courage and a lot of self talk to have the confidence to wear my hair as nature intended. I tend to consider my hair one of my best attributes so I do like it to look good. That doesn't mean it always looks good, These days I am blessed with a hairdresser who has become my friend and is a talented stylist, cutter, and a whizz with colour. We have fun every 6 weeks or so. It's a luxury on our fixed income but a necessary one!!


Reporting back............

We spent most of the day sorting books into boxes at Mum's. We ended up with about15  wine boxes of books to be collected by the Cancer Society for their monthly bookstall. Then there were the books we could not part with. Some had family historic value, others we simply did not have the heart to dispose of. A huge box of Royal Family book has been kept to sell on TradeMe. Apparently some people still collect that kind of thing. I have another box of photos and letters to go through and my niece has a box of Mum's diaries all written over the last 35 years. We can see the boxes we have finished with but they do not seem to have made a dent in the stuff that must be sorted and distributed.

How did I do?

All things considered I think I had a good day.

Breakfast:- Smoothie


Lunch:- chicken salad, lettuce, capsicum, onion, gherkin, tomato, balsamic dressing

Tea/Dinner:- cheese omelet

Snacks:- Almonds, dried apricot, 2 ginger chocolates

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 6
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

21.75/75 km for August


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs


July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

2 comments:

  1. I permed my hair at 16 for the first time (I too had dead straight hair back then)... and it came out similar to yours!
    I cut it off.
    Necessary indeed. I will continue going to the hair salon because I didn't go for something like 20 years while we had little kids to raise. Now I go cos I do matter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, 13 is such a sensitive age to have something like happen!! Amazing how those kinds of memories can be so fresh and vivid, even after a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete