Friday, August 24, 2012

MORE ABOUT FRITTATAS

MY FAMOUS FRITTATA
FAMOUS IN OUR HOUSE, THAT IS!

237 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

7/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.

Yesterday Chris wondered what I meant by an Indifferent Frittata. 


We went to one of our favourite Cafes in Whitianga for lunch. We are guaranteed gluten free food and that means we can eat wheat free without hassles. They have gluten free options to their paninis and BLTs. There are also one or two or more gluten free items either in the cabinet or on the menu. We enjoy a good frittata and the one we chose yesterday looked beautiful. I forgot to ask for salad so the Frittata came looking rather naked on the plate with a dollop of yellow chutney which was delicious. Sadly the frittata had a lot of potato in it and was not well seasoned. The relish made it just about OK. So that's what I meant by indifferent, not very interesting.

Today I felt good so have been making the most of it. I have been meaning to make one of my Famous Frittatas for the last two weeks. Today was the day. It makes 6 or 8 servings so we ate a piece at lunchtime and will eat it again tonight. I suggested I freeze some but John likes it so much He wants to eat it now. We don't mind eating it 3 days in a row. 

It's a little different each time I make it and some people may not want to call it a frittata. It's certainly not a classic frittata.

Step one. Dice as many onions as I feel like. Today I used 4 medium onions. Once diced I put them in a frying pan with a good sized knob of butter and let the gently cook, stirring occasionally, until transparent and soft. While they sat on a slow element I turned the oven on to heat to about 175C/350'F. I cut a kumera, (sweet potato), and pumpkin into 2cm/1 inch cubes tossed them in a dash of olive oil, tumeric, Morrocan spices and fresh ground black pepper.. I roasted these veggies for 10 or 15 minutes until just soft.
While this was going on I diced  some garlic and added it to the onion, diced up a heap of celery, about half a bowl full, and 4 thick slices of bacon. I tipped the cooked onion into the bowl with the celery and cooked the bacon, not too much. I also tossed a bag of baby spinach leaves with a tub of sundried tomato pesto, and beat up 12 eggs in a separate bowl. I hope you have the picture. Frying pan on stove top, small roasting dish in oven, 3 bowls of various veggies on the counter and the baking dish for the frittata lined with baking paper because it makes washing up easier.

Next I sliced a couple of tomatoes and grated a cup or more of cheddar cheese. 

I also mixed about 1 teaspoon each of tumeric, Morrocan spices, curry powder and freshly ground pepper which spread around my various bowls of food. I tossed the onion and celery and bacon into the roasted pumpkin. 

Now I was ready to assemble. 

First into the baking dish for the frittata is a layer of baby spinach tossed with pesto. This is a frittata so I ladled some beaten and seasoned egg over the spinach. Next up is a layer of the pumpkin and other vegetables mixed. I wanted to crank up the flavour a bit so I crumbled a wedge of blue vein cheese over before adding more egg. I saved enough egg for the end. Next is a layer using the remaining spinach topped with pumpkin mix. Pour the last of the egg over the lot. place the tomato slices over the top and finish with a good sprinkle of grated cheese and sunflower seeds. Sometimes I use pumpkin seeds or pinenuts. 

I baked this for about an hour at 160'C/320'F

This is good. I could have used another 6 eggs, making a total of 18 to produce a deeper frittata.

Apart from fiddling around with so many ingredients it is really easy and as I say it does us for 3 good meals with 12 eggs. Sometimes it's just as good cold so makes good picnic and lunch food.

Here's a list of the ingredients I used today.

4 medium onions
3 large cloves of garlic
2 cups cubed pumpkin
3/4 cup cubed kumera
2 cups finely sliced celery
1 bag baby spinach
200 gm pesto
12 eggs, or 18
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon Morrocan spice
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 teaspoon of salt
200 gm blue vein cheese
2 tomatoes
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds

A baking dish 25 x 25 cm (14 x 18 inches) lined with baking paper.

Knife to cut frittata into serving sized squares. Plates and forks to serve. A nice green salad doesn't go amiss either. 


That was one thing on my 'want to do' list done.

We had a slow cooked bacon hock a few days ago. Today I got the nicely jellied stock out of the fridge. Being jellied means it is good bone broth.

More vegetables to dice and I filled the slow cooker to the brim with soup. I will leave it cooking until we go to bed tonight. Tomorrow it will be perfect. I diced, onion, celery, carrot, kumera, pumpkin, and swede, (sweet yellow turnip). The stock was well flavoured so my only addition was freshly ground pepper and my favourite Tuscan seasoning. John helped me with this by peeling the veggies and chopping up the pumpkin. 

We don't have any fancy-smanchy kitchen tools and knives. A couple of months ago, when pumpkin were very cheap I bought a large one which has been sitting on the floor of the pantry until today. Our hands are worn out from cutting and peeling and I have 4 bags of ready to use pumpkin slices in the freezer.

Final job in the kitchen for me was cleaning the mushrooms for a meal I'm going to cook tomorrow from Jamie's recipes at Your Lighter Side of Life.  John, bless his heart did the dishes. It's so nice to be able to put all my energy into cooking and not have to save energy for the clean-up.

About my frittatas. I really don't think these are true frittatas but that's what we've come to call this kind of baked dish in new Zealand. It's a great way to use up all those green veggies and bits and pieces, emptying the fridge for the next lot of fresh things you bring home. When we order a frittata in a Cafe we expect it to be at least 9 cm/3.5 inches deep. Mine has a way to go but that's because I use a large baking dish, 35 x 25 cm. (14 x 10 inches).

I wanted to do some gardening today but ......  I fell asleep last night listening to more heavy rain. I did sow the sweet pea seeds in punnets and also another batch of swan-plant which is for the Monarch Butterfly caterpillars to feed on in the late summer. 

Successful day. *smile*

Reporting back............


How did I do?



Breakfast:- Smoothie


Lunch:- Frittata


Tea/Dinner:- Yummy bone broth veggie soup

Snacks:- Frittata, almonds

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 5
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

21.75/75 km for August


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

4 comments:

  1. Yum to the fritatta and the soup!! I'm loving all this food but must admit that I haven't made a good fritatta... yet. I think that will be next week's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When summer is over here in Oregon, I'm going to have to try that oven baked Frittata... sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds adn looks wonderful. :D You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fritatta sounds amazing!
    I will give it a try, but without the pumpkin and kumera... both make me vomit!
    I will use potatoes for mine.
    Have a lovely day... it's looking like a glorious day here, so should be over your way too I hope.

    ReplyDelete