Sunday, August 5, 2012

MAN MALLS AND OTHER THINGS



I ADORE RUSTIC STYLE SEATS
MAYBE I CAN PERSUADE JOHN TO COLLECT ENOUGH DRIFT WOOD
AND MAKE ONE FOR OUR GARDEN






218 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

O/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

I read far too many Blogs. Blame it on winter greys. We are having far too many dull wet days.

A few days ago I read this on the Gypsy Life Journal.


Why hasn't anyone invented the "Man Mall"?  Lets start by putting Home Depot at one end and Lowe's at the other end as anchors.  Just think of the competition this would create; you could park once and shop both stores. Now that we have the anchor stores lets add Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ace Hardware, a couple pubs, Woodcraft Supply, Harbor Freight Tools, Camping World, Hobbytown, Grainger Industrial Supply, McMaster Carr, Autozone, Tractor Supply, a motorcycle shop, a stone & granite store, a welding shop, a few thrift stores and finally in the food court there would be just one restaurant: Hooters.  Now, this is a mall I would shop at!


This rang a bell with me. John is very patient with my shopping habits, me not so much with his. He drives me nuts spending time looking for the cheapest product and at the end of a grocery shop I can find the trolly full of stuff I would never buy because he goes for price rather than flavour or quality. I have also spent too long trying to amuse myself in tool shops and similar places.

I can remember spending what seemed like hours waiting in the car, in a small carpark at the back of the building, with Mum and my brothers and sister while Dad did business in Dalgety's, the Stock and Station Agents. In all the years we dealt with the Palmerston North Branch I doubt if I went into the building more than a handful of times. Children and women did not get involved in Men's Work.

A New Zealand Man Mall might look something like this.

Bunnings at one end and Mitre 10 Mega at the other. Here are a few suggestions for in between. Repco, (vehicle parts), Wilson Bros. (bearings and engineering supplies), PowerTool Centre, Katmandu, (camping, outdoor clothing), Hunting and Fishing Store, CameraHouse, SportsWorld, several bars with Bistro meals, Woodcraft Gallery and Supplies, Stirling Sports, Smith City, (variety including computers and lawn mowers), Motorcycle shop, Food court with hamburger and roast meat/dinner outlets, Bookstore with a good technical bias, Hand Tool House, Pro Golf Centre, Welding and Forged Steel Shop with demos, Outdoor World, RV and Marine Supplies, Hallensteins, (clothing), Model Craft and Hobbies, Computer Geeks and the ubiquitous Warehouse , (NZ version of Walmart)

Ladies we should get behind this and we'd have hours of peace while the men amused themselves. Then again maybe not. They'd be tempted to spend our money. *giggles*

C'mon people! Let's have a little fun here. Think of your man's favourite store and leave a comment.

I was surprised to find some of our favourite shops have either downsized dramatically or no longer exist. One of the reasons for this would be our small population and the proliferation of big stores which try to sell everything. We really notice the difference when we go overseas. New Zealand is best serviced by small owner operated shops but the Mega Stores and Franchise Stores are making it very hard for the small, single purpose shop with a community minded owner.

More Olympic glory and some not so great. Also sadness today in the wake of 2 New Zealanders killed and 6 injured in Afghanistan. These soldiers were part of the Provincial Reconstruction Team and had gone out to support security forces in an area that is generally considered stable..

And another building bites the dust in Christchurch. A 14 story building was brought down in 6 second by implosion when 63 kilograms of explosive was detonated. The first time this technique has been used in NZ. Two NZ companies along with US based demolition expert Controlled Demolition Inc. carried out the work. Watch the video here.  http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/7415790/Radio-Network-House-imploded

Parts of Christchurch are unrecognisable now. Long time residents have lost their landmarks. A Blue Print of the future city has been released and I think it looks pretty exciting. I cannot find a visual online.


Reporting back............

I've had another good day .... except for one thing. Bells Palsy! A few days ago my face seemed to be slightly straighter. Today my lower eyelid droops more than ever and that makes my eye sore, tears drip and snuffles keep me grabbing for the tissues. I'm not crying I promise you. Also my mouth seemed weaker than usual and I dribbled when I ate my soup and drank from a mug in spite of holding my face together with my free hand. Gross! 

How did I do?

Fine but it really is time I got my body moving more.

Breakfast:- Mushroom omelet


Lunch:- Soup, slice of flax bread toasted.


Tea/Dinner:- Beef Steak, salad of lettuce, grated carrot, finely slice onion, gherkin and parsley with Paul Newman Balsamic dressing.

Snacks:- Slice if flax bread with a little butter, almonds.

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 5
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

Next Official Weigh-in September 1st





3 comments:

  1. Don't forget to email me your address, so I can get those vouchers out to you :), have an awesome week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to say for ages how I love the changing landsape pics across the top of your blog and I love that seat too :)
    Man malls........well I think definitely Bunnings, a golf shop, a cheap clothing shop that stocks what my man wants in his size (this one would never happen!!) and I think my man would be happy. Don't need food shops.....eat before you go or when you get home says Jim!!!
    I had fun thinking about this......my man seems very much like yours :) Grocery shopping became a nightmare until I explained why I choose some brands over others.....he now "gets it" as why I read labels LOL. Before I explained he would always pick up the cheapest too. LOL.
    I do hope the Bells settles down and doesn't cause you as much grief as yesterday. I can only imagine your frustration and really feel for you.
    Enjoy today even if the skies are grey....they are here too and I am fed up with it!!! We sometimes have to remind ourselves though that it is always darkest before the dawn....summer is coming :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stew loves shoe shops and clothing shops.

    It would be ME who would LOVE a 'Man's Mall!
    I love Bunnings, Mitre 10, tool shops, boat/marine shops, hunting and fishing... lol!

    And I love the cows in your cover photo!!!

    ReplyDelete