Sunday, August 12, 2012

IT SNEAKS UP ON YOU

MORE RAIN
WE EXPERIENCED EVERYTHING EXCEPT WIND TODAY
THUNDER AND LIGHTENING, HEAVY RAIN, DRIZZLE, SUNSHINE AND BLUE SKIES
SOUNDS LIKE SPRING WEATHER


225 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

3/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

Welcome to my new readers. A special welcome to all who have come from the August Blog list on Jimmy Moore's Livin La Vida Blog. I have become a big fan of Jimmy's and learned so much through his podcasts that I am at risk of information over-load. I hope you enjoy reading my posts but above all I want you to feel encouraged. It's never too late to change your life for better.

Do you ever have the feeling that things are not quite going according to plan? You begin to wonder if you have Carb creep. You've been doing well but suddenly it seems as though the edges are blurred. Something is missing. Whatever it is, you feel as though you are not as focussed as you should be and it's really hard to break away from.... for me at least. It takes a lot of mental effort and life's day to day needs are still there relentless and demanding. We can't go and hide in a cave and work things out. We have to do it on the run. There's no peaceful retreat to  go to where we can be refreshed, re-charged and restored.

Sometimes setting aside a time of prayer is all it takes but what do you do when that doesn't give immediate results? 

It can take days to re-focus until finally the day arrives when I do something which progresses me toward my goal.

It feels like procrastination but it's not really.
It looks like lack of determination but it's not that either.
It also looks like a person with no will power but it's not that either.
Sometimes I call it laziness but I'm not really lazy.

One of the key steps to regaining focus is admitting there's a problem.

That gives me a reason to ponder,
To mull over how I came to this place,
And how I am going to get out.

Am I going to pull myself out by my bootstraps?
Am I going to crawl out of the mud and wash myself down?
Is someone, something, a thought, a word
going to be the miracle answer?
It's never as simple as it looks on the outside.

I wish I knew why these times come to harass us.

I think it has something to do with lost enthusiasm.

It takes energy to stir the pot.
Sometimes we are in short supply of the right kind of energy.

Take heart.
You're stirring the pot.
Keep at it and you'll be filled with get-up-and-go before you know it.

One of our difficulties is that we are in this for the long term.
Michael Phelps can now retire.
He has won his crown.
Of course he will have other goals.
He's not going to hang around and vegitate but...

While we may have a target weight
or a health goal
there is no gold and no retirement.
We can change our focus as Michael Phelps will
but we can never entirely buy out from this lifestyle to control our weight and health.

I think we can be excused for going stale,
losing focus
finding it all too tedious on occasion.

The thing that makes us winners is that we don't stay too long in that place.

You are willing to stir the pot
And soon it will be bubbling with genuine enthusiasm once more.

It's a bit like keeping the fire burning
Just another analogy.

Sometimes it seems like more effort than it's worth
to leave the cosiness and get more fuel.
Before too long the fire is out
And you're sitting in the cold.

Hmmmm!
Does that mean we need to keep a stock of ready fuel?
And does that mean we need to keep the fire of enthusiasm well stoked
ALL the time?

No wonder we sometimes feel burnt out and call for a break.

Trouble is our health is relentless
We don't have the luxury of taking time out if we're serious.

One thing is certain
We grow older and nothing gets easier
except the ability to become
a little more patient with ourselves
Maybe.



I do have a little smidgeon of excitement. I don't want it to bubble over prematurely and go flat.

John has lost about 7kg. He now weighs 83 kg. I weigh slightly over 88 kg. I can't remember how long it is since I weighed less than him. Only 5 kg difference. I can see the day coming when he will weigh more than me again. I have a picture of us. He will carry me over the threshhold. He didn't do it the first time ... he's not into romantic gestures. Maybe this time.... Can you imagine it! Two oldies on their 2nd or 5th honeymoon and he carries her over the threshhold. Ha!

A thought occurs. If I had not persuaded him of the benefits of going wheat free I could be lighter than him already. Bah!

Reporting back............

I had a lovely long soak before washing my hair this afternoon.

How did I do?

This is what I call a successful day. No snacking, face exercises, cross-trainer, and 15 minuted deep breathing. My daughter told me about deep breathing as one of the ways to reduce high blood pressure. I'll explain more tomorrow.

Breakfast:- Mid-day berry smoothie. Perhaps I should call this a milk-shake. Frozen berries, milk Greek yoghurt and whey powder make a thick-shake. The only sweeteners are the natural flavour of the berries and stevia in the protein powder.

Lunch:- See breakfast

Tea/Dinner:- Mince beef stew with cauliflower mash

This is a quick and simple standby.

The Stew

Cook roughly diced onion in butter on the stove top. Add in the minced beef and brown. Add frozen mixed veggies. Add a can of tomatoes and seasoning and cover. Let simmer for about half an hour. My pantry was bare of tomatoes but I did have some marinara sauce in the fridge. You can thicken the juices by adding diced sweet potato early in the cooking process or stir in a starch  like cornflour. Tonight my quick stew was fine without extra thickening.

I've been looking at the recipes for mashed cauliflower and reading rave notices for quite a while. I'm not a fan of cauliflower so it has taken me a while to be willing to try it.

Mashed Cauliflower

I have a very large cauli in the fridge so I cut off 4 large curds. quartered and cooked them in a little water seasoned with Tuscan seasoning instead of plain salt. When the cauli was soft enough to poke a fork into the thickest parts I drained it pouring the liquid into the mince. I added butter and cream cheese to the cauli and chopped it up with my whizz stick mixer. I wasn't fussy about the texture, leaving a few lumpy bits so it wasn't fit for a posh dinner.

Oh my! Was it delicious. That's an idea I'll use more often. John likes his mashed potato but I'm not such a fan so here is an alternative that we both like. I ate a second helping and now I'm too full.

Snacks:- Piece of dark chocolate

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 5 +

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

21 minutes cross-trainer = 4 km

I ramped it up a bit today, partly because I did nothing yesterday and it's raining cats and dogs so there's nothing better do today.


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

Next Official Weigh-in September 1st



2 comments:

  1. "Trouble is our health is relentless.
    We don't have the luxury of taking time out if we're serious."

    Wow... reading parts of this post for the second time, it's even more powerful. Thank you for posting it here.

    And I look forward to reading about the deep breathing. I've tried it, just not been consistent. And I know it has lots of health benefits, but didn't realize it was so good for high blood pressure. So... I'm curious now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several of these paragraphs speak my mind quite accurately. If you rad my last post, you'll see that I'm acting them out, rather than doing what you did and talking them thru until a bit of enthusiasm sputtered to life. I'm out of sputters at the moment.

    Thanks for this post--and could I have use of that cave you mentioned please? Really. I need one just for a bit.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete