Friday, August 17, 2012

IT SMELLS LIKE SPRING

A SPRAY OF DELIGHTFUL PERFUME
BORONIA MEGASTIGMA IS A NATIVE OF S. W. AUSTRALIA
I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF THIS WHEN IT FLOWERS IN EARLY SPRING
I WISH YOU COULD SMELL IT
THE FLOWERS ARE TINY AND MODEST BUT I LIKE THEIR DAINTINESS
THE VELVETY CHOCOLATE OUTER SURFACE OF THE PETALS
CONTRASTS PERFECTLY WITH THE BRILLIANT LEMON 

230 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

7/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.

Another quiet day. I would have loved to go to River Day, our Holy Spirit retreat day for women, but feeling off-colour yesterday put paid to that idea. River Day is held on the third Friday of the month and run by my friend, Julie, who is the wife of the pastor of the Pauanui Christian Fellowship. I miss River Days very much. When we lived closer, in Tairua, I doubt if I missed a month but now I have to plan carefully. I need to leave home before 7.30 am and I don't get back again until after 5 pm. That's a long day for me. I like to have everything ready the previous day, my clothes out, hair washed and a plate of finger food for a shared lunch. When I feel fit I can just about manage with no preparation providing I get up before 6 am. These days I feel as though I've aged 10 years in the last couple of years.

My general health is improving and I continue to lose weight, be it ever so slowly of late. Unfortunately this attack on my face, Bells Palsy, which began in mid February is taking a toll. I can't see any recovery so far. My eye became inflamed after our two consecutive days out earlier in the week. Yesterday it caused sinus problems. I felt fine when I woke up this morning but with no preparation done yesterday I had no show of being ready early enough to make it worth going, even if I took short-cuts. So frustrating.

As the day has progressed I realise I would have struggled to manage the full day. There are days when my body thinks Bells Palsy is as bad as being hit by a sledge hammer. Not only do I have the ugliness of a twisted face, totally sunken in with a sour expression on one side but my lower eye lid hangs down looking sick. Enough to scare small children. I'm glad my glasses are tinted as that disguises the damage a little. There is no muscle tone whatsoever. I do exercises but they feel like a complete waste of time and effort. The only way I can move anything, mouth, eyebrow, eyelid, on my left side, is to force movement with my finger. I only keep this up because I can feel my muscles tightening up and twisting my face even more. I'm fortunate in that I do not have much pain. Some people really suffer with chronic pain but most of the time I only have a few niggles which are easily ignored.

I can't believe that this thing has dominated my life for 6 months now. It's sad. I have recovered from the stress and shock and grief following my mother's death at the end of January and another family disappointment in February. I am successfully working toward improving my health through weight loss and being more active. I have cut wheat right out of my diet and limited other grains. I can tell the difference. There has been considerable healing both mentally and physically. It may be hard to be specific or quantify because the difference often is subtle but I know it's there. I particularly know that on the odd occasion when I eat more grain than is good for me I don't feel quite as well or comfortable. Some foods are better avoided and that's not a problem. I'd rather feel well than eat stuff that makes me feel off.

I should be bouncing around like a Jumping Jack. It's not happening and I blame the effect Bells Palsy is having on my whole body system.

I'm glad I know that it's still not too late for natural recovery. I'm glad I know that my God is in the healing business. I suspect that the myelin is damaged. Myelin is the sheath around the nerve core. If it were not damaged I should have experienced some healing by now. Myelin is the sheath around the nerve core. Bells Palsy occurs when the facial nerve becomes inflamed and comes under extreme pressure where it goes through a canal in the skull, This damage can extend to the myelin which takes longer to recover. I will have the patience of Job one day.,,,, working on it.

Reporting back............

Every now and then I try out a food that I'm not familiar with or not sure about. A couple of weeks ago I bought some frozen prawns that had been cooked and frozen whole. I had an idea about the recipe and it called for unshelled prawns as being more flavoursome. The recipe was fine, it made a delicious sauce, The prawns were awful. I can't stand the mess of whole seafood on my plate and picking the shells off with my fingers not to mention the iccky stuff when you pull off the heads. Never again. I have a feeling I've said this before. Suddenly it feels like deja vu. I've been here before promising myself I'll never buy these things again. Hopefully this time I will remember. Maybe next time I want to take a risk I'll chose something I know I'll like.

How did I do?

I'm satisfied I had a decent day in spite of the prawns being a bit of a failure.

Breakfast:- None


Lunch:- Omelet with cheese and red pepper


Tea/Dinner:- Messy Prawns in delicious lemon, dijon mustard, onion, garlic, parsley and coconut milk sauce with a little mash. Rice crackers and brie to finish on a happy note.

Snacks:- Almonds and dried apricot

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 4
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

20 minutes cross-trainer = 4.5 km

21.75/75 km for August


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

Next Official Weigh-in September 1st


2 comments:

  1. I can so relate to so much of this post.... hope the sun comes out for a bit today and have a happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. End of Jan, major sress/shock/grief from losing your Mum.

    Feb, major family disappointment (don't know if this was before or after the attack of Bell's Palsy).

    Mid Feb, hit with Bell's Palsy.

    This is so much to handle in so short a time. And I am suspicious of the timing... the Bell's Palsy seems to have taken advantage of this hit to your immune system to makes it's appearance.

    From what I've read about the effect of stress on our ability to heal, I have to say you have done well at the weight loss and other physical improvements in spite of all this. I can't help but think that in time, it will help with the Bell's Palsy symptoms.

    I pray that the Lord will surround you with such peace that any lingering stress will dissolve, and every time you do your deep breathing, you will be inhaling God's love and healing and joy!

    Hugs,
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete