Sunday, August 26, 2012

EXPERIMENT


SPECIAL MEMORIES
SAN FRANCISCO JANUARY 2005
LOOKING ACROSS TO COIT TOWER FROM THE TOP OF THE
CROOKEDEST STREET IN THE WORLD, LOMBARD STREET
I CAN STILL FEEL THE EXCITEMENT AS WE WALKED
AROUND THIS CITY ON MY FIRST TIME AWAY FROM NZ.


239 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

7/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.


Changes are being made. Challenges are being embraced.

I'm just ending my 2nd day Dairy Free. 

For months I debated this step. The main reason for giving up dairy is that I have skin problems that have not responded to going wheat free. Being wheat free has reduced the inflammation in my stomach a;though it's not 100% healed yet. I suspect one reason for that is because I have been eating other starchy grains in rice crackers and gluten free bread. I don't think I've been eating too much of those things but my stomach was sick from wheat, and wheat damage in the gut can take months, even a year to heal. I guess I'm in that group because being older means there are more years of damage and older bodies don't always heal as quickly as I'd like. I need to get a fresh grip on what I eat if I want to keep losing weight. Making the change to dairy free has given me the incentive to eliminate all grains and starches completely.

Now about the dairy. I suffered from eczema as a child and teenager. I can't remember when I last had to cope with eczema. Another skin problem that has been a nuisance from time to time has been tinea and other fungal rashes under my rings and watch strap and anywhere else they could make life miserable. Often the only relief I could get was soaking in the bath. Then there is my scalp. I was told years ago I had psoriasis of my scalp. There seems to be no truly effective treatment. Currently I use a special shampoo and rinse with cider vinegar. I need to do this every two or three days and that keeps the itchiness and flaking more or less under control and bearable most of the time.  I am very disappointed that going wheat free has made no difference.

Another blogger, Jenny, gave me an Australian website for some hair products but I have decided not to purchase it for now because it is expensive.

So here begins my experiment to see if being dairy free improves my skin and I'm sure I will lose more weight. I have been cooking in butter and eating more and more cheese so the fat content of my diet had probably got a little higher than ideal. But...... we need fat for good health so I am using coconut oil for cooking along with a little olive oil and adding olive oil as a dressings whenever appropriate. I have been reading about the way some people add fats to their diet and it makes me gag. Some swallow teaspoons of coconut oil. Nut butters I can understand but still not something I would enjoy. Another thing I have read is adding butter or coconut oil to coffee. Cream I can understand but I see quantities mentioned that make me shudder. I'm glad I like my coffee black and that's how it will stay.

Giving up dairy was not an easy decision. For years I've had a smoothie for breakfast made with milk, yoghurt, whey protein powder and frozen berries. This has always set me up for a day of healthy eating and been an essential part of my low carb, ketogenic program. I was afraid that without it I would end up going all over the place with my food. This winter something began to change. I was totally unenthusiastic about starting a cold and frosty or dull, cold, wet day with this icy drink. All too often I would procrastinate about breakfast for hours and my eating would be erratic for the whole day. Other mornings I made myself a cheese omelet or a slice of gluten free toast. I was surprised I could eat omelets for breakfast because for years I have not tolerated eggs for my first meal of the day. Another sign of the physical healing that is going on. Now that I have worked out my breakfast options, eggs, left-overs from the previous day, tomato and bacon, anything really that does not have grains or dairy, I am confident I can do this experiment for a decent stretch of time.

My plan is to be dairy free for 7 days and if I feel good about it I will continue for at least a month. At the end of the month I will then add back in one dairy product at a time to see how it goes. I'm expecting to enjoy Greek yoghurt and cheese again.
Today I had an omelet for breakfast. I chopped up some thyme, parsley, garlic and half a tomato then cooked it for a about a minute in a little coconut oil. I broke two eggs into a small bowl, added a dash of water and whisked it up with a fork. I added the egg to the pan and cooked as for a classic omelet. When it was done and folded over I poured a generous splash of good olive oil onto it and served it up well seasoned with kelp sea salt and freshly ground pepper. The oil was all absorbed into the omelet so I was not left with an oily or greasy plate. Plus it was delicious and satisfying and took barely five minutes to make from go to woa!. There was had soup for lunch and I made Jamie's Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms for tea.

One of the things we talked about with Lynda and her husband yesterday was how much easier it has been to follow this lifestyle when we drew the line across Wheat. There is no doubt, no procrastination, no wavering. We have made a decision and that is that. At the same time none of us feel pressure to be utterly perfect and are able to make the occasional exception when the situation demands some flexibility. Although I am intolerant of wheat I do not have the more severe allergy, Celiac Disease, where exposure to incredibly small amounts of wheat can make you sick.

We are finding that the longer we are wheat free the more certain  become that we will never deliberately eat wheat again. I'm expecting to feel this way about dairy products.

Another challenge I have put my hand up for  is to join a support group on Jamie's Blog, Your Lighter Side. I'll write about it tomorrow. It just seems to have come up at the right time with the changes I am making this week.

Reporting back............

A good lazy day. I got ready for Church but had not been watching the time. I guess being prepared to go is progress. I will get back into the habit one of these days. I do miss the fellowship and being with friends. 

How did I do?

Good. No problems and not missing dairy. 

Breakfast:- Herb Omelet


Lunch:- Veggie bone broth soup


Tea/Dinner:- Balsamic chicken with mushrooms. 2 kiwifruit

Snacks:- almonds

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 4
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

21.75/75 km for August


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the dairy... hope it works well for you. Have a great week, rain on the cards for tomorrow here :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, good luck with the dairy! You might be interested in Borage Oil and Primrose Oil. I've read that they help with psoriasis (and they aren't expensive...at least the borage isn't, I don't know about the primrose). Also, if/when you go back to smoothies, sugar free almond milk is a great alternative. My daughter doesn't care for almond milk along (I do!) but she loves her smoothies (in the summer)and she'll use the almond milk bcs the flavor doesn't come through.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious to see how the dairy-free experiment goes. I'e often thought that I hsould try cuttng dairy, but...sighhhhhh...I do like my Greek yogurt. That is the primary source of dairy for me.

    From what I've read, unless you're extremely sensitive butter is not a problem. I noticed that when I was eating yogurt every day, I had some odd skin issues. I had hoped it was something else. I've also noticed--and am sincerely hoping it is a coincidence--that when I include daily Greek yogurt in my diet, I stop losing weight. :O Again, I sure hope it's a coincidence.

    I mean, rally, how much can a person cut out before they are left only with protein and veggies?

    So, keep me posted. I think. :}

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lucy about the almond milk. I get the unsweetened vanilla, and it has a very neutral taste. I freeze it in ice cube trays, and keep a batch in the freezer in baggies. I use those when making a smoothie or shake. Works great, and can stay dairy free if you want that way, yet still enjoy a smoothie. Plop in a raw egg if you want that smooth rich taste/feel instead of using cream, and that will also add in protein. My fav is with frozen blueberries, and a dash of vanilla extract.

    Hope your dairy free experiment turns out well for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete