Wednesday, August 8, 2012

BLOOD TEST RESUTS AND THE NON-WALK


THE BEACH MIGHT HAVE LOOKED SOMETHING LIKE THIS
IF ONLY I'D GONE OUT FOR MY WALK

221 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

The early morning pre-sunrise glow woke me up. It looked like a good morning to resume beach walks.  Full of muted enthusiasm I dressed and swallowed my first drink of the day. Next I went into the bathroom to work out the best way to protect my eye. I taped my eye up after putting some cream on my eyebrow and eyelash to prevent the tape tearing out hair when removed. Didn't work. I couldn't tape my eye  closed tightly enough to keep out bright light and cold air. After a time of hunting here and hunting there I tracked down the pirate patch, still in my bag from last week. I thought I'd unpacked everything. Well not quite. A few seconds and the pirate patch was taped in place. The next treasure hunt was for the camera, also found in the 'empty' bag. Now I was ready to go, fully dressed, armed with my point and shoot, walking shoes on, and eye protected.

My wretched eye began to play up. I sat down. I don't have the resilience to push through. I removed the patch and my eye began to settle down. I had not yet given up. I was getting ready to cover my eye when the sun disappeared, the temperature dropped dramatically and the rain began.

The sun has shone between these cold, sometimes heavy showers but I haven't been outside.

Any sensible person would have climbed on the cross-trainer ...... not me. I've had another day being a couch potato.

Today is the first day I have felt like going outside for a walk for weeks. Soon I'll be out there again. Right now I'm being a whimp. I believe the readiness to go for a walk means my body is healing and recovering from all the stress we went through earlier in the year.

Yesterday I picked up a copy of the results of my most recent blood test, the one the doctor's office  called me about because my cholesterol is high.

Every single result is right in the middle of  'normal' or acceptable range. except my cholesterol numbers and from what I have read they are right on target for a person who has been eating low carb but not limiting naturally occurring fats for more than 6 months.

Cholesterol 6.0 mmo l/L (ideal is less than 5)
Triglyceride 0.7 mmo l/L (ideal is less than 2) These are baddies and my number is well inside safe.
HDL 1.34 mmo l/ L (ideal is more than 1.0)
LDL 4.3 mmo l/L (ideal is less than 3.4) **
Total HDL/Chol ratio 4.5 (ideal less than 4.5)

I don't fully understand these results so I'm thinking of joining a complimentary web-site to Wheat Belly, Track Your Plaque. It appears that you have to pay so a I'll think about it for another day or so.

** It is my understanding that LDL is made up of two different kinds of particle. One is very small and this is the one than is supposed to cause serious problems to normal blood flow. The other particles are fluffy and cloud-like. These are considered to be good. Apparently eating  low carb and high fat helps increase the good fluffy things and that puts the standard LDL test and measurements out of whack with what is considered normal. Add that to the weird calculation they do to get the HDL Cholesterol ratio and you have a test result that is no longer a useful measurement. The testing to differentiate the two kinds of LDL is apparently sophisticated and I doubt it's available in New Zealand. I understand that only a few research type labs in USA do this test. There seems to be a lot of new science discoveries in the area of lipids. I don't pretend to understand it all but I think I'm OK and do not need a cholesterol lowering drug.

I would have liked to check my blood pressure but I'd been drinking coffee and not slept well. Maybe next time we go into town. Other than that, I do not expect to go near the Medical Centre again until early September, before we go to Christchurch. I like to have a full supply of medication to take with us .... just on case we are away longer than planned.

I'm sorry I cannot give you a good link to the information my understanding is based on. I have slowly picked this up over several months of reading and listening to podcasts by experts from USA, Britain and Europe. 

Reporting back............

We watched a some of the weight lifting today. This was the big men lift huge weights. It was amazing seeing the determination of the competitors. It was also scary watching the effort required. I couldn't help wondering if bodies can literally explode from the tremendous exertion required to lift such enormous weight from the floor to above their heads.

There are all kinds of courage and mental strength on display. I can learn from the example of Olympic athletes.

How did I do?

Only 2 meals. I haven't been hungry but now, this evening I'm looking for snacks. I think I've quelled that by eating a hard boiled egg.

Breakfast:- 2 egg omelet with cheese and mushrooms


Lunch:- None, not hungry


Tea/Dinner:- Frittata, with extra bacon and marinara sauce, a toasted slice of flax meal bread with peanut butter, 1 kiwifruit.

Snacks:- Almonds, hard boiled egg.

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 4
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

Next Official Weigh-in September 1st





4 comments:

  1. I'm working on my cholesterol too. In my research I found that I need to avoid bacon & egg yolk. Eliminating those thing will help! If you Google "Cholesterol - what foods to avoid" you will find many articles that will help. I also found websites that tell you what foods you should eat to help get the cholesterol down.

    Keep at it and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne - those cholesterol results are FANTASTIC!!! Do you realise who good your triglyceride to HDL ration is? That is just amazing. Don't change a thing and for goodness sake don't stop eating egg yolks. You know from all that you have read that your results are great. If your LDL is the big fluffy ones (as they will be) then celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D What Lynda said! :D After 6 months on low carb eating, my cholesterol went from high to normal and the triglycerides went from VERY HIGH to normal. My diet is full of egg yolks. (Our number system does not compare to NZ'z, so I have to go with the words.)


    My doctor, who had been trying to get me to take meds for years (I did try a couple, but they gave me muscle pain and weakness.}.

    About the eye. Ohhh, I so sympathize. Sometimes when ordinarily simple things take so much effort, well--there's only so much "push thru" that tone has. You did good.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a shame you did not get on the beach for a walk. I hope your eye settles down soon, it's been ongoing for quite a while now, you poor thing.

    ReplyDelete