Sunday, August 19, 2012

ANOTHER PHOTO FROM THE FAMILY ARCHIVES


DO YOU REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN NO
SELF RESPECTING WELL-DRESSED WOMAN
WENT OUT WITHOUT HER HAT!
I WAS 15 IN THIS PHOTO (1954)

232 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

7/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.

I'm watching the news as I write this. It's not something that absorbs ny attention except this item did.

Super Age. This is a term for older people, in their 80s and 90s who have excellent memories. Their brains may be better than when they were younger. My mother fell into this group. When it came to her finances she never made a mistake and stayed in control until the day she died. Sometimes her memories did not quite match the facts but that was probably because they were enhanced and coloured to make the story more dramatic. If we wanted to know anything from the past, be it dates, incidents, experiences, family members activities, we asked Mum. One of my nieces is blessed with this kind of brain. When Mel says something happened on a particular date or in a certain sequence we have learned not to question. She is always right. I wonder if she will one day be called a Super Aged Woman.

I am not so blessed. I have a talent for picking other peoples brains for details. Life is far too important to fill it up with unnecessary dates and trivia. I once had a talent for memorising using a mixture of rote learning and a photographic memory. I also developed a talent for deliberately forgetting stuff as soon as the need to remember, think exams, had passed. All these years later, after all I haven't needed those skills for 50 years, I have lost the talents I once had. Maybe I'd better do something about reviving those skills while I still have some brain cells. I have known older women who made a point of memorising passages of the bible. As soon as they were satisfied they had one settled in their memory bank they would begin learning another. It doesn't really appeal to me. The discipline required offends my free spirit. *wry smile*

Some things are better forgotten..... like the hat which was probably expensive. It was made of draped white silk velvet. A mushroom would have looked as good. Mum was wearing a beautiful silver fox fur stole. Very posh in the 1950s but absolutely non-PC these days.

Reporting back............

My eye was annoying me again. I managed to tape it up. Not a sight for the faint hearted. I had things to do but decided I should have a quiet day at home. More rain tonight. I walked barefoot on the lawn today. Yukk and squelch.

How did I do?

Food OK. Probably drank too much coffee.

Breakfast:- Omelet

Lunch:- rice crackers and cheese


Tea/Dinner:- A mess of stuff in the fridge turned into a stir-fry. included bacon, feta, spinach, onion, left-overs from last night.

Snacks:- None

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 4
Black coffee x 2

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

21.75/75 km for August


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

2 comments:

  1. What a great photo! Loved the hats and fur stole. And don't forget the pearl necklace.

    I missed the "hat" years. But I do remember when I was younger, maybe 9 or 10, the ladies wore them to church, and especially on Easter. Guess that was the tail end of the glove and hat church days. : -)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW love the photo you both look so sophisticated!! I feel sad in a way that women aren't as classy as those days anymore. Sometimes I wonder why people lack self respect :( xo

    ReplyDelete