Tuesday, August 28, 2012

AN OPTIMAL DIET IS TAYLOR MADE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL

A HOUSE THAT CAUGHT MY EYE WHEN DRIVING THROUGH MISSOURI (2005)
IT LOOKED AS THOUGH IT HAD BEEN MOVED ONTO THE SITE
AND WAS BEING RESTORED.
SOMETHING ABOUT IT APPEALED TO ME
MAYBE THE TURRET AND THE VERANDAHS

241 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

7/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

Welcome to my new readers. 

It's never too late to change your life for better.


I seem to have progressed from my Lean For Life weight loss program to something akin to Paleo, whatever that means. Lean for Life is a balanced low fat, low carb, moderate protein program that includes walking as the main exercise. Paleo seems to be the buzz word these days. To me it means preparing foods from scratch with whole foods. It means living life as naturally as possible without the expense of gyms and pre-packaged, over processed foods. It means choosing foods that God has already given us. I am not a purist. I believe in convenience when it suits. I believe in using manufactured sauces, spices and condiments when they're not messed up with too many chemicals..  I am thankful for frozen foods and many other things found on the Super-Market shelves. I do not want to be stuck with my Paleolithic Ancestry. I am a 21st Century woman.

Way back in 1976 I was trying to recover my health. I had been diagnosed with ME or Myalgic Encephalomyletis. Myalgic means muscle aches, pain and weakness. Encephalomyelitis means inflamation of the brain and spinal chord. There has always been controversy over the diagnosis and the naming of this chronic fatigue disease but I can assure you it is a very real condition and devastating for those who suffer. I went from a strong fit individual to someone who could barely get out of bed. I felt like a zombie. I was crippled with pain and muscle weakness. I had four children, the youngest was born not long after I developed ME, and a farming husband who worked exceedingly long hours. It was exceedingly depressing. On top of that my doctor treated me as though I was a hypochondriac and my mother told her friends I'd had a nervous break-down.. I went from healthy and active to zero. Today I wonder if I had some kind of metabolic disease.

I heard of a medical doctor who was 'outside the square' and treated the whole person as naturally as possible. He gave me a diagnosis of ME and a list of symptoms which broke my heart. There were over 80 symptoms on his list and I had more than 50%. First of all he told me to go on a Stone Age diet. This is pretty much what the Paleo people talk about. I found it quite difficult but followed his instructions only to be told that I had to do it again without the Primrose Seed Oil. At this point I lost heart but I had learned a lot about eating differently to what I had been used to. 

Roll on to the 2010s, 35 years later, and I'm discovering Stone Age diets are all the rage only with a different and more scientific name. I still think my Lean For Life program takes a lot of beating when it comes to weight loss but I am now wondering if it is a little too low in good fats. Maybe I'll write more about that as I my understanding improves.

As part of my self education efforts I am reading a number of health and nutrition related blogs. They are written by people with excellent credentials and many are highly respected right across the science and nutrition and health spheres.

This morning I read the following:- 



Third, if we are indeed asking what the optimal diet is for modern humans (rather than simply speculating about what our Paleolithic ancestors ate), there’s no way to answer that question definitively. Why? Because just as there is tremendous variation amongst populations with diet, there is also tremendous individual variation. Some people clearly do better with no dairy products. Yet others seem to thrive on them. Some feel better with a low-carb approach, while others feel better eating more carbohydrate. Some seem to require a higher protein intake (up to 20-25% of calories), but others do well when they eat a smaller amount (10-15%).

The whole article can be found here. Kris Kessler, the author, has my attention as a sensible alternative practitioner. If I had read his bio first I doubt if I would have given him credence but I came by his site indirectly and have developed a great respect for him.

I do encourage you to read the whole article but in the meantime I copied this excerpt here because I want to remind myself that the bias I have toward Low Carb, Wheat Free, and latterly Dairy Free is not right for everyone. I have become a 'health nut.' It wasn't my intention to go in this direction but it's where I am at present and I am beginning to thrive again.

Now I'm off to read what Kris Kessler has to say about Vitamin B 12 deficiency as some people have been healed from Bell's Palsy with B12 injections. I don't see how I can be deficient but it's worth knowing more.

I hope you are all have a good day. I seem to be feeling so much better after only 3 full days Dairy Free. I don't know whether to be pleased or cross about it but I'll take it as it comes.

Reporting back............

I thought we would go into town for groceries today but when it came to it neither of us wanted to go out. John mowed the lawns I was lazy.

Our fridge looks empty. No eggs, no bacon.

I dithered about breakfast for so long I decided to call it a fasting day.

4th day dairy free

How did I do?

Feel great.

Breakfast:- Fast


Lunch:- Fast


Tea/Dinner:- Fast

Snacks:- 8pm or so I decided to have a taste of the beef roast we cooked for John's dinner. I slice of beef and a crispy leaf of lettuce.

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 4
Black coffee x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

21.75/75 km for August


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs


MEDIUM PHOTO

3 comments:

  1. Hi Margie

    I sent you and email,

    Cheers Peta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo, if I give up dairy, does that mean I can't use half and half cream in my coffee? :o Could I just give up my yogurt and cheese, please? :<

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Deb I have no idea what I would do if I liked cream in my coffee. I tend to go whole hog when I make a decision so for me I'm 100% dairy free. Sometimes, like today and lunch in a Cafe, it's a challenge. I had no idea until I became dairy free how much I had come to depend on cheese for flavour, pleasure and enhancing dishes.

    Can you imagine replacing the cream with coconut butter. All I can say to that is Yukkk!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete