Saturday, August 11, 2012

OUR FIRST GLUTEN FREE BREAD FROM SCRATCH

OUR FIRST GLUTEN FREE BREAD FROM SCRATCH
NOTE THE CAVE LIKE HOLE THROUGH THE BOTTOM OF THE LOAF
THE TEA IN MY MUG IS UNSWEETENED HEALTHERIES APPLE AND BLAKBERRY

224 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

2/31 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 23.5 kg/ 51 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

Welcome to my new readers. A special welcome to all who have come from the August Blog list on Jimmy Moore's Livin La Vida Blog. I have become a big fan of Jimmy's and learned so much through his podcasts that I am at risk of information over-load. I hope you enjoy reading my posts but above all I want you to feel encouraged. It's never too late to change your life for better.

Gluten free bread. This is something that will cause tremors in the breast of many low carb people but my husband is not a low carber. John has lost about 5 kg/11 lbs in the 2 months or so he has been wheat free. He has rosacea which is much improved and his waist measurement has decreased significantly. The one thing he has nagged me about is his toasted cheese and bacon sandwich which had become his regular lunch fare. I've made flax-meal bread and coconut and almond breads but John's complaint is that the texture is too like cake. I was very disappointed when he didn't want to adapt to the change. Nonetheless I decided to work toward meeting his desire while staying wheat free.

We have been getting our own breakfast and lunch for years because he doesn't care for what I want to eat and visa versa, most of the time. Like many men, he is not a fan of meals with lettuce as the main ingredient after the protein. Except for chilly weather in the depth of winter, it's always my lunch-time preference to have some kind of salad. Even in my bread eating days I had heaps of salad in my sandwiches. My breakfast has been a smoothie made with frozen berries, milk, yoghurt and whey protein powder for years. I do switch it around with eggs sometimes but that has been my mainstay ever since I stopped eating cereal or toast. I find that the days I have a smoothie for breakfast I do tend to eat well and sensibly all day without any moments of hunger or cravings. John on the other hand eats oat porridge with milk and brown sugar. Nothing low carb about it. He never wants to eat again before mid-day. Very rarely, and certainly not this year, I have porridge, and I'm always hungry within a couple of hours.

That is a very lengthy introduction to our first experiment making gluten free bread from scratch. Sometime ago we made a loaf from shop bought gluten free flour mix or bread mix. It seemed rather expensive and the bread was totally unsatisfactory. I've been gradually collecting the mix of flours we need to make our own mix. I might add that this is an expensive operation as is buying flax-meal, almond and coconut flours. Yesterday was the day. 

We measured out the flours according to the ratio of gain to starch that the Aherns use. I have been reading the Gluten Free Girl and the Chef for a long time and maybe this is not the best bread mix. Anyway I had to adapt their blend to what I had bought.
This is the blend we used.
350 grams superfine brown rice flour 
200 gms millet flour
200 grams tapioca flour
150 grams arrowroot
150 grams cornstarch 

We tried to follow the instructions in the Breville bread maker book as this was what it was all about. John wants a simple bread he can make without me adding my tuppence worth. Our bread almost worked. John grumbled about all the ingredients, certainly a few more than his standard bread. He grumbled about the different technique required although this had been discussed beforehand. He doesn't seem to be able to get his head around the difference using gluten free flour makes. He got flustered and the milk powder was omitted completely. He remembered the sugar while the machine was working the dough so added it then. It did not mix in properly and the salt was completely overlooked. 

We do have an edible if strangely rugged and rock like, loaf. John had toast for lunch and I did break out and have some for breakfast today.

One day next week we will experiment again. Before that I need to write out the instructions so that nothing is forgotten. I will be glad when we have a loaf that John is happy with.

I will only eat it on extremely rare occasions. I think all grains and starches are like poison to me and I'm happy with the flax-meal or coconut bread for the odd time I want something. I do think that eating baked stuff, even grain free, is not helping my weight loss. Since John went grain free, and I've been experimenting with some kind of bread for him, my weight loss has slowed down, almost stalled. I know I don;t have to eat it but I do need to test and a small test bite will never be enough for me.

I don't really miss bread or other baked goods but when I bake I must taste and test a decent serving.

Reporting back............

I've had a fairly lazy day checking out the Blogs on the Livin La Vida list. I seem to be very tired. I fell asleep this afternoon, according to John and again tonight while watching TV. Makes up for all the times I don't sleep well.

How did I do?

I'm sorry I did not get in my 20 minutes on the cross-trainer. If I don't do this before breakfast it tends to not happen. 

Breakfast:- Two eggs fried in a knob of butter with gluten free toast and marinara sauce


Lunch:- Camembert. (creamy cheese)


Tea/Dinner:- Steak, mushrooms and salad with balsamic dressing. almonds and dried apricot.

Snacks:- ?

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 5 or more

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/198 lb
3RD AUGUST - 91 kg/200 lbs
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lbs

Weight loss history for 2012
January: - 10.5kg/23 lbs
February: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March: - 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April: - 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May: - 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June: - 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
July: - + 1 kg/2 lbs

Next Official Weigh-in September 1st





1 comment:

  1. I love the way that loaf of bread looks! Very rustic. :)

    I think you may be right about the GF bread experiments and your weight loss stall. I've seen it happen to others.

    As boring as meat, veggies * a bit of fruit sounds, I find that substitute recipes for the food I'd rather be eating just get me into trouble.

    We'll figure it out.

    DEb

    ReplyDelete