Tuesday, July 31, 2012

TOO MANY CHALLENGES - PROBABLE WEIGHT GAIN FOR JULY


SUMMER FLOWERS IN ALASKA JULY 2009

I needed to get as far away from home as I could. Our grey, wet winter is getting to me.

213 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 24.5 kg/ 54 lbs


Thoughts for the day..........

I've been struggling for a while. It's a combination of things. Winter blues or should I say greys. We are getting more than our normal share of cool weather. There was a lovely sunrise today, more silvery that golden certainly but we did see some sun. This afternoon it turned grey and cold again and more rain. So that's one challenge.

Family stuff and dealing with my emotional reactions. Hospital trips and other medical stuff is an added nuisance. My twisted face and problem eye all caused by Bells Palsy are getting to me. I'm beginning to lose hope of recovery and that thought is depressing. So lump all those things together as challenge number 2.

Challenges one and two mean that outside walking is not attractive. Add in low energy and being away from home so much and I've become too attached to the couch. Getting regular exercise is challenge number three.

The last couple of months I've been learning more and more about nutrition and listening to the paleo and low carb people. I've managed to confuse my eating and exercise plan. I've added in foods without limiting quantity. Challenge number four is dealing with new knowledge and using it wisely.

I want Comfort Food. It's winter time for goodness sake! How do you manage to eat green salads and smoothies made with frozen berries on cold miserable days? I call that challenge number five.

That's too many challenges. The best way to go is not think about them and start each day as though it is going to be my best ever.

I am also going to try and put all the stuff I've been learning on the back burner and get back to the basics of counting carb grams again. I won't do it to perfection because I will estimate rather than weigh everything. I've been doing this long enough that I am fairly good at judging my portions. Recording my carb grams in each meal will help to get me back on the winning side again. I need to become more active than I've been over the last 6 weeks too.

Yesterday I picked up an interesting thought. One which helped me settle my mind about exercise. I count any movement as exercise but the "experts" would call what I do activity and going to the gym or weights at home and so forth as exercise. This same person said something about active people can lose and maintain weight just as past generations did. He called the 10,000 steps a day goal activity, just as gardening, housework, and shopping etc are.

Truth is I've become inactive. This is extremely unhealthy. I'm altering the title of this Blog to match my new understanding. Hopefully August will prove to be a more successful month. My official weigh in will be late since we are staying on here at Mum's for a few more days.

Reporting back............

I woke up about 2.30 am and couldn't sleep so got up and turned the heater on. I was still there, tucked up with a rug around my legs, when John got up this morning so I had an afternoon sleep. Tonight I'm going to watch Mark Todd in the show jumping before I go to bed. He's one of the last riders so it might be a long night.

How did I do?

Better than yesterday ... I think

Breakfast:- Berry Smoothie made with almond milk Hmmm. Very thin and watery but flavour OK.

Lunch:- Bacon hock and Veggie soup. Rice crackers with avocado


Tea/Dinner:- Beef roast with roast pumpkin, potato and kumera,(sweet potato),  silverbeet, (chard)

Snacks:- Almonds and dried apricot. piece dark chocolate

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 6

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*


BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85

1ST JUNE 7.30 am -  92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb
1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/ 198 lb
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss history for 2012
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs

Next Official Weigh-in August 1st



4 comments:

  1. Yes. Lots of challenges listed here--and they are all coming on the heals of reaching you yearly goal...by June! Not good, motivation wise.

    As far as the Bell's Palsy. That is an awful thing. I had a friend who had it for many months, gave up hope of a cure, and then it just got better. I've known several people who have had BP, and all recovered. But it is grueling, that's for sure.

    I checked online for drug therapy (often MDs do nothing) and here's a link for you. You have probably already done your research and the MD has probably already addressed meds--but it's the only concrete help I can provide--besides prayer, of course--from here. (It's written in research paper form, but is easy enough to tease out just from the first few paragraphs.)

    Prayers for healing and SUNSHINE!

    Deb

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17414047

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful that just as we are circling the drain and going down, God sends a lifeline in the form of a friend who offers hope! I know nothing of Bell's Palsy, so was excited to read of Deb's experience with it, from those she knew who recovered. I hope you find that encouraging, and it uplifts you.

    Sending you Virtual Sunny Days and hugs,
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter.......it is a depressing time for a lot of reasons......lack of warmth and the sun on our skin takes it toll. I hope it improves soon for all of us. Going back to basics re food choices is a great idea. I had found that I was adding in all sorts of foods....just because I could :) Since going back to basics I am feeling much better. Yep that 10,000 steps just doing normal things is the way to go. I did that a few years ago and even used to walk around the house just to increase my total lol
    Wishing you a better day tomorrow.
    Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your plan is right on - to go back to the basics, back to what you know. I've been reading alot lately too (I bought 2 new books) and yup, the info becomes overwhelming (for me). So....I've set the books aside and am doing what I understand to do. The rest will come...in time, when I'm ready.

    ReplyDelete