Tuesday, July 24, 2012

ANOTHER READING DAY


SUN ON THE BEACH IS BUT A MEMORY

I feel as though we've been shut in by loq cloud, mist, fog and rain for months.
Wet weeks are so slow but they are a wonderful excuse to do nothing
except read, Blog and watch TV.

206 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE 

 2 DAYS OUT OF 31  EXERCISING



TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 24.5 kg/ 54 lbs




The formatting has gone bananas again. So frustrating.

Thoughts for the day..........

Another fasting blood test this morning. No big deal. The Neurologist I saw last week said he didn't want to see me again but he wanted a blood check done for the record. Got that out or the way and had Brunch.


For the first time ever I decided to make a controversial comment on another Blog about diet. The writer of the Blog had read The China Study which alleges that carbohydrates are safer than animal products. I suppose I should write more about it here but I believe the research The China Study is based on is dodgy. I suggested that before people commit to following the China Study they look at other work including that of Tom Naughton and Dr. William Davis. I first began  my current understanding and quest for more knowledge by reading Tom Naughton's Blog and the book Wheat Belly. I've read and learned so much about the way the body makes insulin, stores fat and how cholesterol is made by our own liver.

I now understand how carbohydrates increase insulin and eventually cause insulin resistance. I know that insulin is the guilty party in fat storage and animal fats are not the great enemy we've been lead to believe. There is a wealth of science out there explaining metabolism and how we can improve our metabolism. Many highly qualified and well respected scientists are willing to stand up against the common ideas and do research that for me at least has the ring of truth.I know diet can be a very touchy subject and most people like to think they are experts and hate to have their own ideas questioned. But I took a risk because I hate seeing people demonising what to me is a very natural diet. Meat, fish, vegetables and some fruit, nuts and maybe cereals.

I went back to my comment on that Blog a little while later and was so disappointed to see the comment following mine. I'll paraphrase it.

The writer suggested, quite wisely, that the funding source of any research should be checked then went on to say the Dairy and Beef Council spend a lot of money with the intent of influencing what we eat. She believes The China Study is trustworthy science. This writer believes a diet based on plants is best.

What about the grain lobby and what about the people who sold us on highly processed grain and seed oils and fructose syrup from corn?

I think most people have been led up the garden path and now have closed minds to the food we were given in the beginning. I guess this is an age old argument and no-one is going to win.

It seems that the best way is to read as much as you can and experiment on yourself until you find what works for you.

Personally I prefer to eat things that have not been manufactured or processed to death. I like meat and will not be budged from eating it at least five times a week. I like my vegetables too and rarely have a meal without some vegetable or other.

I wish I'd never written my comment but it's done and people can discuss it as they will.

I guess that's one reason I'm happy to Blog away here and enjoy the comments I get and the communication I have between Internet friends. I can keep a low profile and because it's my Blog I can say what I like and other people's opinions are interesting but not so threatening. I appreciate my followers and am glad the numbers are small and friendly.

Reporting back............


How did I do?



Breakfast:- None

Brunch:- Homemade pork sausage, two fried eggs and tomato.

Afternoon Snack:- A handful of frozen berries, thawed, with whipped fresh cream. Eice crackers and cheese

Tea/Dinner:- Meat off a slow cooked pork hock. roasted beans and carrots

Snacks:- Almonds and dried apricot. piece dark chocolate

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 7

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km


1ST JUNE 7.30 am -  92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb
1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/ 198 lb
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss history for 2012
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs

Next Official Weigh-in August 1st



3 comments:

  1. The weather is the same down here and driving me nuts!!!! I also have a cold and that isn't helping :( Yesterday I did manage to prune my 3 rose bushes but fear that they are getting too wet around their roots :(
    Yep......we all need to find what works for us but at the same time we need to open our minds and search thoroughly through all material. Some people just don't/wont do that!! Like you I will continue to eat my meat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... diet is a touchy topic. I remember years ago being told the wrong stuff, and paying the price now healthwise for following it. Yet when I first started hearing "no sugar, no flour" is the answer, boy I didn't want to hear it either! Hey, they were trying to take my "fix" away!!

    Well, I recently had a weird comment at my blog, and I gave them this quote from Tolstoy...He said: "I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives."

    Tolstoy must've known some vegetarians... mwa ha ha ha
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I've missed some posts lately. It is hard when you leave a sincere comment and then read later that someone "took you on" and caused you to regret that comment. but, MargieAnne, good for you for having the courage and caring to give your opinion. I, of course, agree with your views on nutrition. And, like Rettakat, have learned it the hard way.

    Perhaps your comment will cause someone to investigate further and lear easier. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete