Tuesday, July 10, 2012

DAY 192 STAGE TWO HAS BEGUN



My Weight Chart:
Weight Chart


STAGE 1 COMPLETE


192 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 2 DAYS OUT OF 31  EXERCISING



TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 24.5 kg/ 54 lbs



I've been very lazy. We are having glorious winter weather with frosty nights and mild sunny days. The beautiful skies are so clear and blue they take my breath away. Perfect weather for all those garden jobs I want to do but have I been into the garden? No!

I feel so tired and lethargic I don't even want to eat.

There might be a reason.

When I read the results of our blood tests I discovered my potassium level is low. I checked my diet in case that was the cause but we eat a diet fairly rich in potassium so that's not it. It's my freaking blood pressure medication. My blood pressure was not controlled with a single pill and one of them combines a diuretic. Taking wheat out of my diet has reduced fluid retention and other inflammation. Now I need to ask my doctor to change my meds again. This is good but a nuisance, especially as she is away for a couple of weeks. In the meantime we do have to go into town today so I will pop into the Medical Centre to see if I can get a new prescription without the cost of a full visit and find a potassium supplement in the meantime. It was interesting to read that low potassium not only makes you feel lousy but it upsets the heart and causes blood pressure to increase. Taking medication drives me crazy. Putting unnatural chemicals in your body has so many side affects you end up taking pills to counteract this or that until you're a walking pill bottle.

I also have high iron, Ferritin, which was unexpected. There has been quite a dramatic increase of this in four months and while I am still at a safe level I'm disturbed about this sudden increase. There's not a lot I can do about this so will just wait another three months and see what happens. The cure for high Ferritin is phlebotomy or blood letting every week until the level normalises.  Haha!

On the cholesterol front my triglycerides are nice about right but the LDL reading is high. From all I've read and understood this is partly due to the way LDL is calculated and partly because we lump the fluffy LDL particles, which are good, in with the dangerous tiny particles which help to form plaques. I will have to study this some more as I find it really difficult to understand. But if I'm basically correct  my cholesterol is doing very well thank-you.

My glucose is normal but I expected that. I am wondering about using a glucometer to register what foods or meals cause high post-prandial glucose but maybe that's just me being too fussy.

Reporting Back ..............


It was a lovely afternoon to pop into town. I had a parcel to post .... returning some purchases to Ezibuy. I kept 6 out of 8 so not bad. I wore my new pants and tops today. I also bought some potassium tablets. It will be interesting to see if they make a difference. Called in at Mum's house to pick up our mail and say hello to Jane who was out in the garden.

HOW DID I DO?


It was good to go out. I ate more starches and sugar than normal but remain wheat free.


Breakfast:- None

Lunch:- Eggy bake

Tea/Dinner:- Soup and 2 slices of toasted gluten free bread.

Snacks:- Custard made with eggs and cornflour, berries

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 5

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

I aim to walk or cross-train an average of 3 km or more each day this month.

I want to do at least 3 60 minute sessions

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km
2 x
3 x

5/103 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1 x 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JUNE 7.30 am -  92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb
1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/ 198 lb
Start weight:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
     
Next Official Weigh-in August 1st




3 comments:

  1. Sometimes taking meds can be so frustrating! I'll be happy when I can reduce my own BP meds. I was able to do that when I got under 200 pounds last time. We'll see.

    Best wishes with the Medical Center!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue skies are amazing arnt they, hope you are feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got at least part of the answers you were looking for. I agree about the drugs... then they give you drugs for the side-effects of the drugs. ack! As we get healthier, the hope is to wean off the unnecessary ones. Yay for natural. :-)

    ReplyDelete