Monday, July 2, 2012

CHANGING HABITS - DAY 184



THIS ROSE FLOWERS ALL YEAR ROUND IN MUM'S GARDEN

184 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 1 DAY OUT OF 31  EXERCISING


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 24.5 kg/ 54 lbs 

It takes an average of 66 days to form a new habit. See the website here. Some people take 154 days before their habit becomes automatic. Interestingly I read somewhere, here is the website, that it takes longer to establish new exercise habits that food habits. For some reason I had in my head I would call my grain free lifestyle a habit after 284 days. I'll stay with that and in another 100 days I will consider being wheat and grain free an established habit. It feels normal now so it should keep on getting easier.

Exercise is another story and a lot more complex. This week I have decided to do no more than 10 minutes on the cross-trainer in a single session. If I want to do more I can do two 10 minute sessions and I can have a stretch session which takes 30 minutes and is quite challenging at the moment. It would be great if I could develop a routine of 10 minutes cross-trainer plus 30 minutes stretch in a single session. I've been thinking about scheduling my sessions in the same way I would do if I went to the gym. Going to the gym is totally unnecessary, a cost we don't need and not practical in that it involves driving into town. This week I'd like to avoid trips to town although maybe there will be one in the next few days.

I am on the point of crash and burn. I need to turn that around and the only way I can think of doing that is to change things and be very gentle on myself but...... it is absolutely imperative that I continue to move my body.

A couple of interesting links.

Lynda alerted me to this one in a major weekend newspaper. Modern diets ruin health of Maori.

The other is a podcast and I now want to buy the book, the revised Diet Cure by Julia Ross. Jimmy Moore interviews her here. -

Reporting Back ............

Today I felt a little peckish once or twice. I think I stayed up too late last night.

Today I made another flaxseed loaf using a simpler recipe. I quite like the flavour and haven't heard any complaints from John. Tomorrow I'll slice it lengthwise so he has nearly full sized slices to make his favourite toasted bacon and cheese sandwich. 

HOW DID I DO?

I did well, except I have so little energy. I do hope that scaling back my exercise helps me rebuild my fitness.

Breakfast:- Smoothie

Lunch:-   Tuna and egg salad on cos lettuce with gherkin, orange capsicum, red onion and cucumber. Paul Newman honey mustard dressing. A couple of cucumber slices and a rice cracker on the side with hummus.

Tea/Dinner:- Tender meat from the pork hock which has been in the slow cooker for 8 hours. Kumera mash, red onion and cabbage stir-fry

Snacks:- almonds, cranberries. flax bread with butter and jam.

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 5

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

10 minutes cross-trainer = 2 km

I aim to walk or cross-train an average of 3 km or more each day this month.

I want to do at least 3 x 60 minute sessions

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km 
2 x
3 x

2/103 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1 x 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85



1ST JUNE 7.30 am -  92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb
1ST JULY 7.30 am - 90 kg/ 198 lb
Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss 
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs 
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
June:- 2.5 kg/5.5 lbs
         
Next Official Weigh-in August 1st





4 comments:

  1. Oh my, I've just read Jimmy's rundown on that podcast - must listen to it tomorrow! It looks so good. I must have a go at your flaxbread - have you posted the recipe yet? I'm thinking my wheatfree lifestyle must be a habit now as it has been over 270 days!! Unreal for someone addicted to carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to
    my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!
    Also visit my blog post ... xylitol sugar substitute

    ReplyDelete
  3. A while ago I declared I was DONE with buying books. No more books. Don't need another book. Got tons. Too many.

    Listened to Jimmy's podcast... sigh....
    Bought the book.

    Yes, got the Kindle edition, and am glad I did. Totally fascinating info, and I think, when I figure it all out and get set up as to what could help ME, it will be useful. Might just be the missing piece to this health/wt loss puzzle.

    Not done reading it, but so far, I can tell you MargieAnne, that I DID think of you as I was reading parts of it. The parts about the adrenals being overburdened, and fatigue, and that there are times NOT to do too much exercise until things are fixed. I didn't mention it yet to you cuz I wasn't done reading. But... since you posted about it, I'd say YES, you might find some answers in there about stress/fatigue/adrenals/exercise, etc etc. And not just what is possibly wrong, but what to DO to FIX it. That's been the encouraging part for me, she offers real answers that just might be what I've been searching for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am struggling with exercise :( We have a treadmil that I look at more than use :) Jim is back into using it but not me. Some days I find it all just too much. Winter seems to be the time my body shuts down and it just wants to sit LOL. Still on the bright side I am getting a lot of clearing out of drawers etc done so thats a bonus :)
    That book sounds interesting...will look into it :)

    ReplyDelete