Monday, June 18, 2012

TIRED OF THIS BLOGGING THING



169 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 7 DAYS OUT OF 30  EXERCISING


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 22 kg/ 48.5 lbs 


I really want to keep a record of my weight loss and health alongside a rough daily diary of activities and thoughts.

I seem to be going stale.

This could be related to the weight loss stall I have experienced for some weeks. My head says keep going, don't stop now. I know that this loss of enthusiasm is dangerous to my goals.

Today I baked another flaxseed loaf. I am pleased with it. It is very close to being as good as it can be.

I'm hoping that the next one will be the one that goes into my Recipe Blog.

See! I'm not giving up!

I need to get back to basics and count carbs again. This free eating is just not working for me. I'm not gaining weight but I still have at least 30 kg/66 lbs to lose. I've pretty much achieved the weight loss goal I set for 2012. Only my head is stopping me from exceeding this year's goal. I do not want to get stuck here maintaining for the next six months

There is a danger in relying on a low carb diet to lose weight. So many of the Low Carb Gurus say calories don't matter. Eat as much fat as you like. Many of them recommend keeping their carbs under 50 gm a day or even as low as 20 gm per day. I am happy to give up starches and to limit the fruit I eat to 1 -3 pieces a day. Eating only the lowest carbohydrate vegetables is boring, especially in winter. I am comfortable with small amounts of animal fats but I need to keep a closer track on what I eat. I envy those who lose weight by going low carb/high fat, LCHF, but it's not going to work for me.

All the people I read who are LCHF are a lot younger than I am and seem to exercise at a high intensity.

I will do what I can and that includes using the cross-trainer, walking when I feel comfortable outside, depends on my bad eye, and developing a regular pattern of stretching and later resistance exercises.

Some people who are eating low carb to lose weight are now measuring ketones in their blood as well as for blood sugar spikes. That's not me. I like to keep things low tech and as simple as possible. This blog and my Lean For Life, pen and paper, activity sheet are as complex as I want to go.

HOW DID I DO?

I did OK except I did not keep track of everything.

Breakfast:- Smoothie at mid-day

Lunch:-   2 hard boiled eggs, flax bread with yoghurt cheese.

Tea/Dinner:- Pumpkin soup, slice of flax bread with butter.

Snacks:- Almonds and dried apricot

Drinks:- Water x ?
Flavoured teas x ?

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *?*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer =? km

I aim to walk or cross-train an average of 5 km or more each day this month.

I want to do at least 3 60 minute sessions

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km Done
2 x
3 x

60/160 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1 x 1
Week 2 x 0
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75


1ST MAY 7.30 am:-  94 kg/ 206.5 lbs
1ST JUNE 7.30 am -  92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb

Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss 
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs 
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- : 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs_
         
Next Official Weigh-in July 1st


6 comments:

  1. Don't give up girl... you are doing so well. You have the right attitude for it to work...adapting and knowing what will work for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like this post :). Exams finished today am so tired and so sore time to recoup then will think about weightloss. Maybe next week, this week I need to rest and recoup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider myself a low carber but I know there are folks who would say I'm not....and I'm o.k with that. I'm finding what works for me, Lucy. I'm not into the high fat diet. I don't shy away from fat but I don't lick every fat drip off the bacon! I'm not an exercise person either. I have a hard time starting an exercise regimen and now, with the hysterectomy, I can't do much other than walk (& not for long bcs I get sore!)

    Whenever I stay faithful to what I know works for me, I see the scale go down-YES!

    Low carb for me is a way of life bcs of the diabetes. It's the only way to eat to keep my sugar and insulin level in check. That's my main concern whether it's staying under 20 carbs, 50, or whatever. To keep my blood sugar low & to keep it from spiking, that's what works for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Lucy - my low carb is very much for my blood sugar too. It has to be how I live now.

      Delete
  4. It's amazing to me how much more enthused I am about posting when I'm strictly on plan--and how unenthused I am when I waver from the narrow path to weight loss. :}

    Starting tomorrow, I'll be doing a very strict low carb diet. I need to be basic for a bit. No fancy recipes, no substitute food--just lean protein, low carb veggies and one fruit or dairy a day. I know that's strict, but I think that's what I need for now. that's strict, but I'll intro more fruit and dairy in a week or so. If I stay on plan...

    I wish you well on the plan that's best for you!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't eat high fat. I do eat butter and cream etc but I don't go out of my way to eat fat. Just the portion I normally would have. Also, calories do matter. Low carb is just a means to feeling less hungry (in my opinion) and certainly calories matter. I keep an eye on calories on Myfitnesspal.com (this also counts carbs for me) and try to stay under 1200 a day.

    I don't stick to the lowest carb veges either, I just avoid potato.

    As for counting ketones, this only works early on in a low carb diet. Mark Sisson said on a recent podcast I listened to that when you are eating correctly and burning fat then there will be no ketones anyway. No use measuring what won't be there. I do think that upping the exercise helps and watching those extras, other than that seriously, what more can we do?

    ReplyDelete