Monday, June 4, 2012

QUEENS BIRTHDAY HOLIDAY DAY 156


INSIDE THE STRAW HOUSE IN NORTH CALIFORNIA ON ROUTE CA 299


Driving from Redding to Eureka, California, to experience the magnificent redwood forests we stopped for lunch at the Straw House, Junction City on Highway 299. It was cold and we realised we needed to make this an overnight trip but all our clothes were back at the Travel Lodge in Redding. When we came out of the restaurant there were flurries of snow and we did not want to be caught on the mountainous roads in the dark so we turned around, but not before we saw a bald eagle on the other side of the icy stream. I, the route planner and navigator, thought we could make it in a day trip but had not calculated the distances properly. Never mind, it was still a great drive in an area not many tourists would visit.
Misjudging distance and travel times was a common problem for us as I would read the distance in miles and forget to convert it to kilometres. We drove through forested hills on roads that were nearly as narrow and twisty as our own at home but in generally better condition.
We stayed in Redding for two weeks during February 2006. I went to Bethel Church participating in a couple of seminars. We visited Burney Falls where part of the falls were still frozen and we carefully negotiated icy steps. We made it to the Redwood forests in July 2009. What a wonderful experience that was.
It's hard to be patient when we love travelling so much. We hang on to the dream hoping for financial release while we are still healthy enough to travel and enjoy it.






156 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 3 DAYS OUT OF 30  EXERCISING

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 22 kg/ 48.5 lbs 


My determination was shining through this morning. I really did not feel like getting up and doing any exercise. Then the thought ....... I really, really want to be under 90 kg/200 lbs before June 15th. That's only 10 days to lose a minimum of 2 kg/4.5 lbs. It's a challenge but I'm up for it. No real damage if I don't make the grade because I will have made some progress at least. It's hard to get excited when you're traversing old ground but.....

It's been a while since I was close to 90 kg and I'm feeling so close to my lowest weight in recent times. The last time I weighed as low as 86 kg was August 2007. I'm going to pass it this time. I refuse to give up until I reach my healthy weight.

John's experiment to go wheat free has brought him some health benefits. He has had rosacea, a horrible red rash on his face, for a few years now. It seems to be clearing up. He is encouraged enough to want to continue. While his desire for bread is a challenge for me he is motivated and I am learning to cook with different ingredients.

Today he took the flaxseed bread I made a few days ago and made toasted cheese and bacon sandwiches. The sandwiches are smaller, after all the loaf does not rise like wheat and yeast bread. He also said the flavour of the bread somewhat overwhelmed the bacon and cheese flavour. I'll keep working at it until I find a nut and seed flour mix that makes him happy.

HOW DID I DO?

I did well. All the boxes ticked again.

Breakfast:- None

Lunch:-  Chicken and this and that Salad

Tea/Dinner:- Pork strips with brussels sprouts

Snacks:- None

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 5

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

40 minutes cross-trainer = 9 km

I aim to walk or cross-train an average of 5 km or more each day this month.

I want to do at least 3 60 minute sessions

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km
2 x
3 x

26.5/160 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75


1ST MAY 7.30 am:-  94 kg/ 206.5 lbs
1ST JUNE 7.30 am -  92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb

Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss 
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs 
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- : 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
         
Next Official Weigh-in July 1st


3 comments:

  1. That is good that John is seeing benefits from being wheat free. Those flaxseed wraps (can be made with LSA) can be filled and toasted and are not bad. I hope you can crack that 90 kilo mark soon!! So good to read blogs where people are still going and not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing those thoughts and photos. Burney Falls is always one of our favorite places to stop whenever we drive over to Reno, Nevada to visit Donna's brother and his family. Over the years, we've made that trip several times, and always enjoy it. Hat Creek is another favorite place. The Redwoods are always a great destination, too. We went to Jedediah Smith State Park for our honeymoon many long years ago! Love that area, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are experimenting with the bread and different foods, it will be worth the efforts for sure :) well done on the exercise as well, my husband always says that its the times that you dont want to do something that you just HAVE to do it. :) thank you for always leaving nice messages on my blog too :) even though you aren't a scrapbooker it means a lot to me that you stop by :) xox

    ReplyDelete