Thursday, June 28, 2012

EXERCISE PATTERN LIKE A ROLLER COASTER WITHOUT THE FUN


WHITIANGA PASSENGER FERRY

180 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 10 DAYS OUT OF 30  EXERCISING


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 22 kg/ 48.5 lbs 

Two days ago I was on a high. The last two days I have felt so fatigued that I did no exercise yesterday and only 25 minutes on the cross-trainer today. At the beginning of this month, before my 5 day marathon of baking, travelling, family gatherings and hospital and other health related appointments, I managed one 60 minute session and was comfortably managing 8km or more per session.

Somewhere recently I read a post by a younger woman who was a runner. She talked about the months she spent training seriously for a marathon and how her weight loss stopped because she stressed her body to the point of increasing her cortisole levels. She admitted to pushing herself past the pleasure of exercise to reach her goal. She called it Over-Training.

Not for one moment do I equate my efforts with hers but there must be a reason for what seems to be happening. I've been here before. I go really well for a time then comes a point where my body does not want to respond to my will. I give up.

Could it possibly be that I'm trying to do, day after day, more than my body can reasonably manage? Does my body go into some kind of 'pull-back,' or exhaustion to protect itself?

The fatigue I feel now has de-railed exercise plans so many times. I don't want that to happen again. I'm thinking of modifying my plan as though I'm starting off from zero, as I had to do in January, and slowly building up. I don't want to take what looks like a backward step. It feels like failure. I am telling myself that this new approach is not failure but discipline which it is. It is far, far better than giving in to the fatigue and giving up on regular exercise.

I don't exercise to lose weight as I see so many do. Exercise is part of my health quest. I have cells and muscles and organs that benefit when I move my body. As one becomes older you become far more aware of the need to keep your body moving. Use it or Lose it becomes a reality. Muscles become less flexible and even begin to waste away. It's far too easy to become glued to the recliner, only moving for essential tasks. As we grow older we can lose what we have gained very quickly and it seems to take twice as long to rebuild past fitness, if that is even possible. Ask any sports person.

That's where I was at the beginning of this year. Going out and shopping were an effort. I felt like a Puffing Billy and most of the time I let John do the chores while I took it easy. I was experiencing chest tightness with small amounts of exertion. I could see myself becoming as limited as my 96 year old mother who had developed serious heart disease. I was 24 years younger but grossly overweight. It was a scary place.

I'm glad I have improved my health since then but today I'm wondering how much progress I have made. The truth is lots with much room for more. I'm not ready to say the job is done because that's a lie.

!. I'm more than 25 kg/55 lbs less than on January 1st.

2. I no longer experience a tight chest.

3. My blood pressure has become stable and normalised.

4. My brain is clearer...... not so much a foggy brain.

5. I don't crave sweet and starchy foods and I'm not over-eating.

6. I am more comfortable with physical activity.

7. I'm generally happier with life.

Maybe when we get our blood test reports there will be some kind of answer there.

We have decided to go into town tomorrow so today we will have our last meal about 9.30 -10 pm. That gives us plenty of time to be at the Medical Centre in time for our 12 hour fasting blood tests.

I'll bake one of my large vegetable frittatas. We should be able to eat a large wedge late without it sitting like a lump in our guts all night.

HOW DID I DO?

I felt dizzy after a while when I was standing at the bench getting tea. I'm wondering if this happens when I haven't had enough to drink. Otherwise an OK day.

Breakfast:- Smoothie

Lunch:-   Cold roast beef, broccoli and raw carrot

Tea/Dinner:- Frittata 1/2 glass fruit wine.

Snacks:- almonds, brie, frittata.

Drinks:- Water x 2
Flavoured teas x 3

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes/no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

25 minutes cross-trainer = 4.5 km

I aim to walk or cross-train an average of 5 km or more each day this month.

I want to do at least 3 60 minute sessions

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km Done
2 x
3 x

87/160 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1 x 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 15th June 2012 135/85


1ST MAY 7.30 am:-  94 kg/ 206.5 lbs
1ST JUNE 7.30 am -  92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb

Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss 
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs 
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- : 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs_
         
Next Official Weigh-in July 1st


2 comments:

  1. I could really relate to what you said about why you exercise. So true! It's not for weight loss per se, but for overall mobility and health reasons. You are doing so well, I hope the blood tests provide a clue to the fatigue.

    I was wondering... do you do the same thing each day, or do you alternate the exercises? I've read where people who are into a lot of exercise vary it, so the different muscle groups get a day off. Perhaps that could help?? Ha ha, like I'm an exercise expert! Anyway, you've made such great progress since the first. Very inspiring... gives me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome positive list.... hard to exercise when there is no motivation. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete