Friday, June 8, 2012

ARE YOU GREEN?




THE FRUIT OF MY ENDEAVOUR
FRITTATA, MEAT LOAF, FLAXSEED LOAF AND COCONUT LOAF


160 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 6 DAYS OUT OF 30  EXERCISING

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 22 kg/ 48.5 lbs 


I read this on the Legacy Five Blog this morning. It's funny but true.

A note for all you Rvers and other travellers who are reading this. They also recommend a visit to the Creation Museum near Petersburg, Kentucky.


BEING GREEN


Checking out at the store, the young cashier 

suggested to the older woman that she should 

bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags 

weren't good for the environment. The woman 

apologised and explained. 'We didn't have this 

green thing back in my earlier days' The young 


clerk responded, 'That's our problem today. Your 

generation did not care enough to save our 

environment for future generations.


She was right -- our generation didn't have the 

green thing going in it's day.



Back then we returned milk bottles and soda 

bottles. The store sent them to the plant to be 

washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use 

the same bottles over and over. So they really 

were recycled.


But we didn't have the green thing in our day.


Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown 

paper bags that we reused for numerous things, 

most memorable besides household garbage bags, 

was the use of brown paprer as book covers for 

our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public 

property, (the books provided for our use by the 

schools), was not defaced by our scribbling. Then 

we were able to personalize our books on the 

brown paper bags.


But we didn't do the green thing back then.


We walked upstairs, because we didn't have 

escalators in every store and office building. We 

walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 

300 horsepower machine every time we had to go 

two blocks.


She was right. We didn't have the green thing in 

our day.


Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because 


we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried 

clothes on a lin. not in an energy gobbling 

machine burning uo 220 volts ---wind and solar 

power really did dry our clothes back in our early 

days/ Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their 

brothers and sisters, not always bran-new clothes.


But that young lady was right. We didn't have the 

green thing in our day.


Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -

- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small 

screen the size of a handkerchief, (remember 

them?), not a screen the size of the state of 

Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirredby 

hand because we didn't have the electric machines 

to do everything for us. When we packaged a 

fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded 

up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or 

plastic bubble wrap. Back then we didn't fire up 

an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. 

We used a push mower that ran on human power. 

We exercised by working so we didn't need to go 

to a health club to run on a treadmill that 

operated on electricity.


But she's right. We didn't have the green thing 

back then.


We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty 

instead of using a cup or plastic bottle every time 

we had a drink of water.


We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying   

a new pen, and we replaced razor blades in the 

razor instead of throwing away the whole razor 

because the blade was dull. 


But we didn't have the green thing back then.


Back then people took the streetcar or a bus and 



kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead 

of turning their Moms into a 24 

hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a 

room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a 

dozen appliances. And we didn't 

need a computerized gadget to receive a signal 

beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space 

in order to find the nearest burger joint.


But isn't it sad the current generation laments how 

wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't 

have the green thing back then?  


Reporting Back ..............

We did not use any plastic bags today.

Yoghurt cheese is in one container in the fridge and there's a jug of whey which I'm freezing one cup at a time. Another yoghurt failure. I'm beginning to think that the yoghurt I use as a starter may not be the best.

I got the deep dish frittata in the oven after what seemed like a lot of preparation. Too many veggies to chop. I managed 40 minutes on the cross-trainer which was a wonder. This afternoon we went into town so I could get my hair cut. I'm very happy with how it looks. I'm growing it into a new style. The in-between stage is looking pretty good thanks to my talented hair-dresser who had fitted me in at the end of her day. It was dark when I left there and popped into the SuperMarket for sirloin steak for tea and mince to make a meat loaf. John mixed the meatloaf while I did the veggies for tea. All the things I wanted to bake got done. Phew! I'm a bit disappointed in my latest flaxseed loaf. It rose nicely in the oven but sank back after taking out of the oven. I didn't think much about it at the time. Today John pointed out it is completely raw in the middle so I popped it back in the oven for half an hour or so. I'll cook it for 10 minutes longer next time.

HOW DID I DO?

I did much better than I expected to.

Breakfast:- Slice flaxseed bread with hummus

Lunch:-  Left-over pork stir-fry and a slice of flaxbread with yoghurt cheese.

Tea/Dinner:-  Grilled sirloin steak with carrot and broccoli.
Snacks:- None

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 5

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes* 

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

41.5 minutes cross-trainer = 9.5 km

I aim to walk or cross-train an average of 5 km or more each day this month.

I want to do at least 3 60 minute sessions

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km Done
2 x
3 x

58/160 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1 x1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75


1ST MAY 7.30 am:-  94 kg/ 206.5 lbs
1ST JUNE 7.30 am -  92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb

Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss 
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs 
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- : 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs_
         
Next Official Weigh-in July 1st


4 comments:

  1. You will have to post your recipes when your loaves are perfected! Sorry about the yogurt, that's how mine went too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure do like the looks of those yummy things you baked! Hope you enjoy eating them as much as I enjoyed seeing them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Lynda....I really hope you post those recipes for the loaves, and the fritatta & meatloaf too, or give us the links to them. "Pretty please" :) I am always on the lookout for recipes especially ones that others have tried and perfected :) I'm a recipe "junkie" since childhood LOL
    Great that your hairdresser is doing a great job. Mine has retired and the new girl who has taken over the salon is just not "getting" how to do my hair at all. I will give her one more try and see how it goes :)
    Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your written response to "Didn't do the green thing back then." That unwise cashier needs a copy of that. I'm going to have my 17 yr old read it. Then I'm going to post it on my work kitchen board for all to read.

    ReplyDelete