Tuesday, June 26, 2012

ABOUT OUR CLIMATE



A RECENT FROSTY MORNING TAKEN ABOUT 8AM

177 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 9 DAYS OUT OF 30 EXERCISING

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 22 kg/ 48.5 lbs

A recent comment from Deb with a question about our seasons and weather provoked this post.

We are supposed to be sub-tropical and often feels more like a temperate rainforest. We can be very humid, but our summer temperature rarely reaches 30'C/86'F We have morning frosts in winter, which are usually followed by beautiful clear sunny days. Our temperatures drop at night but where we live it rarely goes below 1'C/33'F. We get a few days at a time around 9'C/48'F when the wind feels as though it's straight of the ice.When you hear me moaning about being cold it's mostly because we do not dress for really cold weather and nor are our homes designed for it.

Today is sunny with a nippy wind but my guess is our current temperature is somewhere around 18'C/64'F Might even be warmer. It's very mild and I am bare feet and short sleeves, no jersey. Can You imagine that it winter!

Being a long skinny country, an island nation, our weather is moderated by ocean influences. There is quite a variation from the far north which is definitely sub-tropical and the deep south which is directly exposed to Antarctica. Some places in the South Island get snow on the beaches but there is nowhere in New Zealand, except in the high mountains where we get deep snow that settles. A couple of weeks ago our son, who lives in Christchurch, had about 6 inches of snow around his house but it was all gone within a day or two.

When we did our big USA trip in 2005 we stopped at Pagosa Springs in the San Juan mountains of Colorado. For the first time I saw snow feet deep on roofs and banked up to the windowsill on the shady side. A whole lake was iced over. We were there in late spring on a lovely sunny day. It was all very beautiful and. We began our trip adamant that we would not go anywhere there was a risk of icy roads and had no intention of driving in areas where there might be snow. I'm so glad we took the advice of a shop owner we chatted with in Santa Fe. He directed us to the scenic road through Pagosa Springs even if I did experience discomfort from being at a higher altitude than normal.


What did I do today?

I had another session of accupuncture followed by a visit with my doctor. John and I both got requests for fasting blood tests. We wanted to have a base-line record for our blood glucose, cholesterol, liver, thyroid and so on. We had lunch at Blonde, a restaurant overlooking the Whitianga wharf. John had seafood chowder, no bread and I had pan fried fish with salad and fries. John ate about three quarters of my fries. I had been dreaming about a nice piece of pan fried fish for a week or more. Sadly my fish was overcooked and very bland. It was served with tartare sauce which was too sweet. Just as well there were a couple lemon wedges.

We had plenty of time for shopping. OOPS! That means spending money. We bought some more stuff for the garden including a few plants and spring bulbs at a reduced price because it really is getting rather late to plant them. After that we went to the SuperMarket where we spent a whole lot more on groceries. We've gone from an almost empty pantry a few months ago to a fridge and pantry that are exploding. I have a good reason. I want to stay home without needing to go out again for weeks. There's a problem with that. It doesn't work. There is always one reason or another that we have to go out again.

We were out for more than six hours. John cooked himself eggs for tea and I have not eaten since lunch. I'll grab a drink and a few almonds in a minute then it's off to bed for me.

HOW DID I DO?

Two main meals, one snack, enough drinking, no exercise and spent more than I should.

Breakfast:- Smoothie

Lunch:- Pan fried fish, salad and fries

Tea/Dinner:- None

Snacks:- Almonds and a few cherries all the way from America!

Drinks:-
Water x 2
Teas x 3
Cappuccino x 1

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

? minutes cross-trainer = ? km

I aim to walk or cross-train an average of 5 km or more each day this month.

I want to do at least 3 60 minute sessions

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km Done
2 x
3 x

75.5/160 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1 x1
Week 2 x 0
Week 3 x 0
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.

Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75
BP 25th June 2012 135/85

Weight 

1ST MAY 7.30 am:- 94 kg/ 206.5 lbs
1ST JUNE 7.30 am - 92.5 kg/ 203.5 lb

weight loss for month = 3 kg

Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs
May:- : 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs_

Next Official Weigh-in July 1st




1 comment:

  1. Your climate sounds wonderful--and the pictures you post tells me that your country is beautiful. Hasnt the Lord made a wonderful world for us?

    Thanks for the update, I appreciate it. :)

    I hoe you're getting a good sleep!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete