Friday, June 1, 2012

152 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 11 DAYS OUT OF 31, EXERCISE


A LESS THAN SPECTACULAR SUNSET TO FINISH THE MONTH OF MAY

REFLECTION ON THE MONTH OF MAY

I'm not sure why I struggled through this month with results that I found disappointing. Two things distracted me and continue to do so. The one that has the greatest impact was reading Wheat Belly and John becoming wheat free. This has upset our normal not so placid routine because he has demanded more from me. On the other hand I don't think he has been quite so grumpy so it's going to work out long term.

I found that as I adjusted to John's needs I had to change some of my shopping, find new recipes and give more attention to preparation and cooking. I hadn't thought this through and it's been a challenge. One that I readily accept because his health is important to me. Nonetheless it has meant some changes which may or may not have slowed my weight loss and I've spent a lot more time in the kitchen than previously.

Now that I've put the Wheat Belly book to one side I can get my head straight again. That book has changed my thinking in many ways but it also side tracked me from my plan which was working. I have incorporated the things I learned from reading the book and changes have been made at least mentally. Now I can get down to business again.

The other distraction has been a nuisance and sometimes painful because my eye doesn't close naturally it is exposed to the air. Learning to live with the paralysis of Bells Palsy has it's moments. The funniest, queerest, oddest, weirdest thing has been the psychological effect.

I feel crippled. I feel like a very old lady. I have to keep straightening my shoulders and deliberately putting a spring in my step. I keep reminding myself that the face distortion is just that and does not affect how I move my body. It does not make me any older than I am nor turn me into a frail old person. I'm having to keep reminding myself to think/act like a younger person. Bells Palsy is hopefully a temporary thing. It would be crazy to lose my marbles over this but  there are days when I do feel as though I am. It has affected my speech and I have to watch how I eat. The other day I had a fresh salad with long shreds of carrot and other bits. I had to keep using my fingers to make sure I didn't have bits hanging out of my mouth. I kept thinking of a cat bringing in a mouse with it's legs dangling from it's mouth..

I have passed the three month mark since the first signs of Bells Palsy and my only hope for full recovery is prayer, acupuncture, and time.

We had a distraction early in May when we had a weekend away followed by a week living in Mum's house. Those few days threw me out of my routine. I managed them reasonably well but I never did get back into the exercise pattern I was still working at establishing. I hope I manageto do better next month.

Reporting Back ..............

Another lazy day. I finished reading another loooong novel.

HOW DID I DO?

I did OK.

Breakfast:- Yoghurt, chopped walnuts, almonds and dried apricot

Lunch:- Soup, slice of cheese, hard boiled egg.

Tea/Dinner:- Grilled steak, mushrooms and salad

Snacks:- almonds, dried apricot

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 0

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *no*

I aim to walk or cross-train 5 km or more each day this month plus....

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km
2 x
3 x

59.5/160 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May 2012 135/75

1ST MAY 7.30 am:-  94 kg/ 206.5 lbs

Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss 
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs 
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 20.5 kg/ 45 lbs 

Next Official Weigh-in June 1st That's tomorrow.


3 comments:

  1. Would love to catch up on the 10th.... :). Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MargieAnne....You WILL get back to the exercise. Too much depends upon you keeping healthy and working towards your goals. I will pray for healing in regards to Bell's Palsy.

    I left a response to your comment. Thank you MargieAnne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering all you are going through, you are doing so well. I know what you mean about spending more time in the kitchen that you'd like. I go thru cycle where I just don't want to cook a thing. I'll cook up stuff and put together meals for my husband to take to work (he eats 2 meals there) and just grab a bite of this or that for me, not wanting to have to cook again.

    Then I'll get all motivated and cook up some great low carb stuff. Oh well... getting thrown off your normal schedule does make it harder. I hope you can get back to your routines that were working for you. That's my June focus, too. We can do this. :-)

    ReplyDelete