Wednesday, May 23, 2012

144 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 9 DAYS OUT OF 31, EXERCISE



IT LOOKS AND SMAELL PHENONENAL

AND YES, IT IS TRUE. WE HAVE HIS AND HERS TEAPOTS.

I have begun the day well, if a little tardy about breakfast. As soon as I got up I made my famous frittata which should do us both for a few meals since it has 12 eggs as well as cheese. This time John peeled and I thinly sliced a buttercup, (maybe an acorn pumpkin), and lightly cooked up the remaining silverbeet/chard, about 6 large leaves with stalks.

 I layered the pumpkin, silverbeet, a little feta cheese, roughly diced red capsicum, (bell pepper), and grated cheddar and parmesan. I beat the eggs and added seasoning. Today it was cajun spices, ground pepper, salt and mixed in a dip made of sundried tomato, parmesan and cashews.  l topped the lot off with a good sprinkle of sunflower, pumpkin seeds and pinenuts, cherry tomatoes and a final sprinkle of grated cheese.

LUNCH AT COLENSO ORCHARD
Today I baked it slowly, about 160'C/320'F for at least an hour. And guess what, I forgot to add bacon and onions. Hmmm! So my Famous Frittata is different everytime I make it. I'm trying to imitate the amazing one we have for lunch when we stop at Colenso Orchard. Theirs is a deep dish frittata and I think has kumera, (sweet potato), as well. It also looks as though there is a layer with cream cheese. I'll have to go back again soon so I can check it out again. Sometimes I use broccoli or spinach too. It depends on what is in the fridge on the day.


I need to get a move on. There is exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes before we need to leave home. I still haven't had my breakfast smoothie and I need to shower and wash my hair as I have two afternoon appointments. One to seek advice from a phisio about treatment for Bells Palsy and the other with our bank. Maybe we can squeeze a lower interest rate out of them.

Reporting Back ..............

Yahoo! I had the Practice Nurse do my blood pressure today, 12 days after the last one. It has dropped a massive 12 points so that now it's 135/75, previously 147/75. Sure I take a fair amount of medication but the only thing that's changed is my weight, minimally, and my absolute conviction that I need to be 100% wheat-free. The nurse also gave me the result if the brain scan I had last week. Again everything is OK. All I need to do now is continue along this path of eating and exercising for improved health and who knows ...... Maybe my medication can be reduced next time. I'm not due to see my doctor for another 6 weeks or so. That could be an interesting visit. I think I should ask for blood tests to be done on the visit too. I will get the nurse to test my blood pressure again in about 3 weeks to make sure it really is stable.

In the meantime I will probably be having some accupuncture for the Bells Palsy. I spoke to the physiotherapist associated with my doctor's practice and he is familiar with the problem and it's treatment. He was willing to give me a session then and there but I passed it up because it is going to be quite expensive for us. I will need at least 3 or 4 treatments before we can decide whether or not it's doing any good. That will mean extra trips into town, up to 3 a week initially. The visits are going to cost $45.00 each. None of this is covered by our  Government health system so I needed to think about it in light of our budget. I'm sure I will follow through but I do need to redo our budget.

Advice from the bank is to hang on until October when our fixed rate interest term finishes and we can make adjustments without penalty. We fixed our interest rate for 5 years and the rate is nearly double the current one. We've had to bite the bullet all this time because the penalty made it uneconomic to change. I was hoping with such a short time to run the penalty would be negligible.

For my American friends .... there is a little price war going on between banks which has brought interest rates down to under 5%. When we got married in the 1960s and looked at building our first house, interest rates were stable at 3%. Since then we have seen them stabilize at around 12% in the 1970s, escalate to 21% + after the 1987 stock market crash and gradually shrink down ever since. Now the European and USA economies are having a lowering effect here. Long may it last but...... who knows what really is going to happen next.

John seems to be happy enough on his wheat-free food. He's also reading Wheat-Belly by Dr. William Davis so we are pretty much on the same page. That makes me happy.

HOW DID I DO?

I did well except for being a bit low on drinking water. No nausea today. Tomorrow I will take all my extra vitamin and mineral supplements except the omega 3. I'm working a plan to re-introduce it in a few days.

Breakfast:- Smoothie

Lunch:- Salmon frittata and cappuccino with sugar. We stopped at a Cafe about 3 pm knowing it would be another couple of hours before we got home.

Tea/Dinner:- My Famous Frittata.

Snacks:- None

Drinks:- Water x 1
Flavoured teas x 4
Cappuccino with sugar

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups *no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

Cross-trainer for 35 minutes - 8 km. Wow! I seem to be doing better than before my two week break. I hope I can do the same again tomorrow.

I aim to walk or cross-train 5 km or more each day this month plus....

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km
2 x
3 x

43.5/160 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

BP 11th May, 2012 147/75
BP 23rd May, 2012 135/75



1ST MAY 7.30 am:-  94 kg/ 206.5 lbs

Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss 
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs 
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 20.5 kg/ 45 lbs 

Next Official Weigh-in June 1st


2 comments:

  1. That is fantastic news about the scan and John going wheat free !!! I've noticed a totally different attitude and resolve from you this year. if you read back on your old posts I am sure you will notice a different confidence with your eating now. You used to beat yourself up and continually try but this year you are DOING!!! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome news re both the scan and your blod pressure. Yep....I firmly believe that being "wheat free" is the answer we have looked for and only just found. The proof is in the BP readings. Great too that John is happy with eating the same way........it does make it easier when you are both on the same page. :)
    Have a lovely day and may the sun shine for you :)

    ReplyDelete